Complimentary drinks

Migueldentis

39 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

As an aside, we decided to ship a suitcase to Dublin so that we’d have something to wear in case of luggage problems at the airport. It was pretty easy, straightforward and not too expensive, only £50 for shipping a 20kg suitcase, including insurance and a “Brexit supplement”. They did warn me that the Irish Customs officials could charge me duty, but they rarely do. Well, they did for us. I got to pay €48 duty for a beat-up 25-year-old suitcase and a selection of used clothing. But as someone pointed out, that’s still cheaper than buying a new wardrobe in Iceland! And I have heard from the hotel and the shipper that the suitcase arrived. 

EasyJet are asking £35.49 per suitcase up to 23kg to fly with us to Gran Canaria next year, so £50 is not too bad. Strange they are charging duty on something you could walk through customs at the airport for free.

27 minutes ago, Riocca said:

EasyJet are asking £35.49 per suitcase up to 23kg to fly with us to Gran Canaria next year, so £50 is not too bad. Strange they are charging duty on something you could walk through customs at the airport for free.

I know. I think someone must have been having that sort of day. It’s not like we are going into the used clothing business, and even if we were, we wouldn’t get much for that assortment!

• Haha 3

On 8/3/2022 at 12:18 PM, Beamafar said:

I’ve just been searching back through the threads to find copies of bar menus (trying to get prices of bottles of champagne as we’ll be celebrating an event onboard).  Looks like I’ll just have to ask when we embark on Saturday - especially if Journey applies the same policy of no drinks menus about. 

We bring on our favorite (Taittingers) for Bon Voyage and special nights.

• Like 2

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but I am astonished at people wanting to know, down to the nitty-gritty, every little thing on the ship before boarding.  What happened to being surprised?  Or finding out new things as you make your way around the ship?  Cabin views I can certainly understand, but drinks?  On the Azamara website the included spirits are well laid out.  Also the included brands in the Ultimate package.  Does it matter finding out if a favourite soft drink, for example, is not available?  Will it make you cancel your booking?  Will you cancel because waffles are not available for breakfast?

Relax and enjoy the anticipation.

(I really, really am not having a go at anyone.  This is just an observation from someone who likes a few surprises when going somewhere new.)

• Like 16

4 hours ago, Port Power said:

I don't mean to be rude to anyone, but I am astonished at people wanting to know, down to the nitty-gritty, every little thing on the ship before boarding.  What happened to being surprised?  Or finding out new things as you make your way around the ship?  Cabin views I can certainly understand, but drinks?  On the Azamara website the included spirits are well laid out.  Also the included brands in the Ultimate package.  Does it matter finding out if a favourite soft drink, for example, is not available?  Will it make you cancel your booking?  Will you cancel because waffles are not available for breakfast?

(I really, really am not having a go at anyone.  This is just an observation from someone who likes a few surprises when going somewhere new.)

Some surprises are better than others! One of the possible surprises is finding out that there is only the dreadful Royal Club tonic on board. It’s worth knowing that in advance so I can do a bit of shopping beforehand for something decent so that I can have a drinkable G&T. 😁

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Port Power said:

Everyone's different. Some like to plan, some go with the flow. I tend to be in the former camp. Nice surprises are good, bad surprises not so much.

Soft drinks/mixers bother me not one iota but wine very much does. Hence I have elsewhere enquired about the provenance and quality of the complimentary wine onboard because this is not detailed on the website. Since they appear to be pretty mediocre, it means I can take action ahead, for example buying a package and/or bringing some of my own wine onboard. I'd personally sooner do that than discover on the first night that the house red is lousy!

• Like 4

On 7/28/2022 at 12:22 AM, Riocca said:

Around these parts I’m not sure Strongbow even counts as cider

Hahahaha, i may now call Australia home but i hail from a little village called Wedmore in the heart of Cider country and many a weekend was lost after calling in at Lukins cider barn at Mudgley.............and i believe Roger the propriator who must be well into his 70,s is still entertaining anyone who pops in to buy a flagon or 3!!!!

Edited by Hammer61
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

@Riocca, when are you going to Gran Canaria? I’m considering joining my sister on a Canary Island Intensive next March.

We’re doing Onwards Spain intensive 25th March 2023 Gran Canaria to Lisbon, EasyJet fly from our local airport twice a week but the flight on the 25th is due to land 15 minutes before Onward leaves so thought it might be a bit tight 😁

So we’ve booked 4 days at an all inclusive hotel to get us ready to cruise 😎

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Riocca said:

We’re doing Onwards Spain intensive 25th March 2023 Gran Canaria to Lisbon, EasyJet fly from our local airport twice a week but the flight on the 25th is due to land 15 minutes before Onward leaves so thought it might be a bit tight 😁

That sounds like an excellent solution!

On 8/6/2022 at 12:12 PM, Riocca said:

That sounds like a much better itinerary than the Canary Islands intensive that my sister and her partner booked as first time Azamarians. Wouldn’t have been my choice, but I might join them as a solo. Haven’t made up my mind.

8 minutes ago, Mackdogmolly said:

That sounds like a much better itinerary than the Canary Islands intensive that my sister and her partner booked as first time Azamarians. Wouldn’t have been my choice, but I might join them as a solo. Haven’t made up my mind.

It’s the overnight in Seville that’s a big draw for me.

Another question on complimentary drinks. Some sites state that drinks are included but there is a 15 percent gratuity charged on all drinks. Other sites state that all gratuities are included. So what is the actual situation?

19 minutes ago, peajay said:

Another question on complimentary drinks. Some sites state that drinks are included but there is a 15 percent gratuity charged on all drinks. Other sites state that all gratuities are included. So what is the actual situation?

Gratuities are included on all drinks.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:30 PM, Mackdogmolly said:

If you call at La Gomera, this is a beautiful island, been twice and I don't usually repeat visit places. I don't know how long you stay but the Garonjay National Park is very lovely, some fantastic trails if you like walking and superb scenery.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:35 AM, federalexpress said:

Everyone's different. Some like to plan, some go with the flow. I tend to be in the former camp. Nice surprises are good, bad surprises not so much.

Soft drinks/mixers bother me not one iota but wine very much does. Hence I have elsewhere enquired about the provenance and quality of the complimentary wine onboard because this is not detailed on the website. Since they appear to be pretty mediocre, it means I can take action ahead, for example buying a package and/or bringing some of my own wine onboard. I'd personally sooner do that than discover on the first night that the house red is lousy!

there was a time when Azamara brought on local wines for the complimentary wines.  Some were good, others s not so much. 

Edited by Benthayer Gonbak

5 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

there was ati ewhen Azamara brought on local wines for the complimentary wines.  Some were good, others s not so much. 

Maybe we can pool our resources and fund the ship stewards to stock up.  We leave from Lisbon and Portugal is full of quite servicable wines one can buy for 5-10e at the grocery store.  For a bit more they get very interesting.

We will likely buy our own, but seems like an opportunity for fun. I know an exclellent wine shop in town.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Maybe we can pool our resources and fund the ship stewards to stock up.  We leave from Lisbon and Portugal is full of quite servicable wines one can buy for 5-10e at the grocery store.  For a bit more they get very interesting.

We will likely buy our own, but seems like an opportunity for fun. I know an exclellent wine shop in town.

We are in Lisbon late November and that sounds like a good plan!   I was on a cruise where we did a passenger driven wine tasting event.  It turned out nicely. 

13 hours ago, peajay said:

All gratuities are (or at least were when we last cruised) included.

EXCEPT

Wine you bring on board and take to a restaurant attracts a corkage fee.

An 18% gratuity is added to the account for treatments at the Spa with a space to add another on top of the 18% already included!

On 8/6/2022 at 5:27 AM, Port Power said:

The worst surprise you could ever encounter on an Azamara ship is Royal Club Tonic water!

• Haha 6