Newbie (kind of) to Royal - questions and seeking advise NE/Canada Voyager

We are fairly frequent Carnival cruisers and know the brand and the ins/outs.... However, we just booked a NE/Canada cruise on Voyager because of the itinerary. We have sailed Royal a couple times, but not for a while. We have only 90 days; I know that seems like a lot, but I'm planner and usually have cruises book out a year or more. any hints or suggestions Please??!!  These are all new ports for us.

- when do we "check-in"

- all excursions for Acadia are booked, any alternate suggestions. pretty bummed but didn't know this until after we booked. Is this a tender port?

- dining suggestions welcome

- we will fly into Boston 2 days prior... we've been to Boston before and love the city - hotel recommendations?

- Sydney NS - no clue what to do here. none of the excursions jumped out to me

- how does MTD work? do ppl like it? We love this option on Carnival

Thanks in Advance for any tips etc.

5 minutes ago, ober134 said:

when do we "check-in"

- how does MTD work? 

45 days out

Book MTD every night if you want a shorter wait, otherwise just show up.

Browse the Roll Call threads for port ideas.

I live in Boston and hotels can be brutally expensive in the late summer/early fall. If you have points with one of the chains, you might want to consider using them. Is there anything in particular you'd like to be near?

There are some brand new hotels very close to the cruise port, but therefore not particularly close to other stuff. Then there are some in the Seaport that are closer to the actual city that might be a nice balance. Moving across the channel, people seem to really like the Fairmont Copley, which is great from a public transit point of view, and is probably the prettiest part of town to stay in (I work in the building next to it). Then there are options further out in Cambridge or Brookline, although neither of those would be my first choices.

If you have any specific Boston questions, let me know. I've sailed out of Boston on RC, but to Bermuda before the pandemic. It was super easy (although, back then I lived walking distance to the port and walked to the ship).

• Like 1

We're on the same itinerary the week after (departing Oct. 2nd).  I also had a hard time finding something to do in Sydney.  The main attraction seems to be a 7-hour bus ride on the Cabot Trail.  We have a full schedule of excursions for the other ports, and don't care for that much time on a bus (I know there are stops), so we may just get off the ship and walk around a bit on our own.  I understand there's not much to do in town, so this may end up being a quick peek, and then back on the ship.  I booked us a couple's massage in the spa that afternoon.

Here's more info on Sydney:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=sydney&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=9

We've done this route many times.  You can try Ollie's Trolly for Acadia.  It's a nice trip with them. We've done by bus, Royal trip, also good.  Make SURE your trip includes Cadillac Mountain.  We fell for an excursion that just said Acadia national Park and did NOT go to Cadillac Mountain. 

I second the suggestion for Ollie's Trolley.  They board very near where the tender lets you off in Bar Harbor.  They gave a good tour.  Cadillac Mountain has some great views.  

After that we bought lobster rolls and sat in the park near the tender pier and ate them. 

20191013_141002.thumb.jpg.fd1ebdf6f5b5a8729ddc3f86e9f77c0e.jpg

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

Sorry, I posted before I inserted the pictures of Cadillac Mountain. Also, here is a picture of the tender dock.

20191013_094208.thumb.jpg.f387c048dc6f2dfde5428bf6f2b8d94f.jpg

The park is the grassy area on the top left.

Cadillac Mountain

20191013_113342.thumb.jpg.cb0b243447215ecfc4394afff5741a94.jpg

20191013_113500.thumb.jpg.28abee26377de80106a324475874dce3.jpg

The views were beautiful.  these pictures do not do it justice.

20191013_113555.thumb.jpg.c9ede9d2974a2d55d43ac3773863af3d.jpg

20191013_113648.jpg

• Like 1

I vote for Ollie's too. Remember this is a tender port. Don't make a reservation for a private tour like Ollie's too early. People on Royal excursions have a higher priority and get off the ship first. For dessert, find a place that sells blueberry ice cream.

1 hour ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I second the suggestion for Ollie's Trolley.  They board very near where the tender lets you off in Bar Harbor.  They gave a good tour.  Cadillac Mountain has some great views.  

After that we bought lobster rolls and sat in the park near the tender pier and ate them. 

20191013_141002.thumb.jpg.fd1ebdf6f5b5a8729ddc3f86e9f77c0e.jpg

Is this the little hole in the wall that also has homemade ice cream? We never made it to dinner that night. 

42 minutes ago, gerif said:

Is this the little hole in the wall that also has homemade ice cream? We never made it to dinner that night. 

It was a take out only place just beyond the park.  I am not sure I would call it hole in the wall. LOL  We asked a local guide where to go and they told us about this place.  sorry I do not remember the name.