Sunset / Sky Suite Upgrade

james3161

Hi folks,

looking for some general opinions about upgrading from a balcony cabin deck 7 on silhouette to one of the above for our anniversary. 
we haven’t used move up before but have gone for concierge class previously and didn’t think much of upgrade options.

my wife does love a bath so that side definitely appeals! 
many thanks

j

I would not bother with a suite upgrade on any of the ships outside the edge class.  You dont get the full experience since the older ships dont have pools or hot tubs in the Retreat.  Then again, if you are not going to utilize the pool in the Retreat if they had one, then a suite upgrade may be good for you.  I dont know if Sky suites outside Edge class offer a set up where the bed faces the balcony, but on Edge class ships you do have the option and it is soooo nice!!!   

Plus if you do choose to move up always check to see what the cost would be with your agent and check the minimum cost to bid on move up.  For example, move up wants $200 per person on Equinox for Aqua but I can book with my agent for $50 per person price difference.  Happy Anniversary!

I disagree that it's not worth bothering upgrading on anything but E-class.  As mentioned, the only real quantitative difference between E-class and other ships is the Retreat Sundeck.  I've sailed in a suite on M and S class ships, and I like it!  Suites are nice, and the "Retreat" experience is a nice one with a butler and some extra perks!  A bath is as good a reason as any to upgrade if you are taking a special trip!

That said, when it comes to the actual room, about the only real difference between a Sky Suite and a Celebrity Suite is having the bedroom separate from the sitting/living area.  That means a lot to DW and I for a number of reasons.  It may not be important to you, though.  Probably the only other differences between CS and SS are location (CS get some prime locations) and the potential intangible benefit of getting a little better service because you are in a CS.  Keep in mind, though, that a CS is not considered a "higher suite." 

I completely agree with inquiring with your TA or with Celebrity directly (as the case may be) about the cost of an upgrade.  It may be close to or even less than the minimum Move Up bid, and you'll get the full suite/Retreat perks and points if you do it directly.  We did have a recent cruise where the direct upgrade actually was substantially less than the minimum Move Up bid.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, james3161 said:

Hi folks,

looking for some general opinions about upgrading from a balcony cabin deck 7 on silhouette to one of the above for our anniversary. 
we haven’t used move up before but have gone for concierge class previously and didn’t think much of upgrade options.

many thanks

j

The Sunset Sky Suite (previous corner S1 Sky Suite) are our favorite Sky Suites. The extra window is super nice.   As mentioned I would analysis the cost to pay for the upgrade compared to trying a move up bid.  If you pay for an upgrade you will get the Indulge Package that is included with all regular suite bookings.  With the Move Up Bid you maintain whatever AI package you have with your current booking.  Also there is no guarantee that you will win a move up bid.  But as long as you understand the differences, it is worth a try.

Good luck.  

By the way we have enjoyed the suite experience long before the Sun Deck and revised Retreat Lounge  was added.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, james3161 said:

Just keep in mind that it comes at the cost of needing to be agile enough to step high into the bath to use the shower... so it is not a good exchange for everyone.

• Thanks 1

We got a free upgrade to sky suite on our first celebrity cruise about ten years ago, since that have booked several sky suites , one celebrity suite, couple royal suites and a penthouse. With all suites you have access to Luminae the suite dinning room and suite lounge, plus concierge that can help you with any problems, I would highly recommend upgrade to sky suite.

15 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Just keep in mind that it comes at the cost of needing to be agile enough to step high into the bath to use the shower... so it is not a good exchange for everyone.

You can employ the "sit and spin" method where you sit on the edge of the tub and bring your legs over.  It's not exactly graceful, but it beats the heck out of falling.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is great folks, thanks all so much for the advice! 

can I ask with regards to the gratuities extra - is this charged as an extra $4 pp per day as the standard cabin grats is $15 per day where suites are $19 a day? 

Thanks as well for all the advice re re-booking that stateroom rather than the move up package. When I have tried to check on celebrity’s website, it tells me there is no availability for 2 travellers in 1 room! 

3 minutes ago, james3161 said:

Thanks as well for all the advice re re-booking that stateroom rather than the move up package. When I have tried to check on celebrity’s website, it tells me there is no availability for 2 travellers in 1 room! 

At present there may not be suites available. A positive for Celebrity of the move up system is that if someone cancels late they already have people in line ready to fill the gap. 

We love Silhouette, she has been beautifully upgraded. The suite deck does have a hot tub and bar, lots of comfortable loungers and excellent service. We loved the experience so much we have two further Silhouette suite experiences booked…

One thing the last few years have taught us all is don’t leave a treat until next year if you could enjoy it this year! Worth a go at move up!

• Like 1

When deciding whether to try Move Up or just pay to upgrade keep in mind when you pay you get the Premium  Beverage package, stream wi-fi., prepaid gratuities and OBC which I think is about $600, plus the extra Captains Club points.

With a Move Up you do not get those suit perks you keep the perks you had, so if you booked with Always Included you keep your Classic beverage package, surf wi-fi and prepaid gratuities., and get CC points for your.veranda cabin.

47 minutes ago, james3161 said:

can I ask with regards to the gratuities extra - is this charged as an extra $4 pp per day as the standard cabin grats is $15 per day where suites are $19 a day? 

Yes, you will pay the increased gratuities whether you upgrade directly via Move Up.

Have found a travel agent taking bookings, with only suites available. Currently priced at £4000 more than we paid in total for our veranda so think I’ll maybe have a shot at it!
we also chose the “elevate package” when booking so we’ve got premium drinks and grats covered along with Wifi

Thanks again for all the information folks

Edited by james3161

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Yes, you will pay the increased gratuities whether you upgrade directly via Move Up.

If one books the suite, it comes with the indulge package, therefore the suite gratuities woukd be included in the base price. 

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

If one books the suite, it comes with the indulge package, therefore the suite gratuities woukd be included in the base price. 

Thank you, yes!

I get myself a bit crossed-up when I think of the invoice which shows the gratuities as a line item and then the credit for them as another. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, james3161 said:

Have found a travel agent taking bookings, with only suites available. Currently priced at £4000 more than we paid in total for our veranda so think I’ll maybe have a shot at it!
we also chose the “elevate package” when booking so we’ve got premium drinks and grats covered along with Wifi

Thanks again for all the information folks

I guess you are past  final payt, is the agent offering suites to agent you booked with? I have just looked at 2 agents sites 1 has no suites and the other has a handicap sky suite (which would suggest no bath). Please ask the question if you ring them, also Celebrity is as you say showing no suite availability.

49 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

I guess you are past  final payt, is the agent offering suites to agent you booked with? I have just looked at 2 agents sites 1 has no suites and the other has a handicap sky suite (which would suggest no bath). Please ask the question if you ring them, also Celebrity is as you say showing no suite availability.

Good point about the handicap suite….I always feel really sorry when we read posts from people who have booked a ‘guarantee’ or ‘move up’ and then boarded to find a room designed for a wheelchair user, obviously not realising that it is a real possibility. The fact a key perk for the OP was a bath makes questioning even more important…

Definitely upgrade to at least a Sky suite to get Retreat Perks. You’ll love the Luminae restaurant that is for retreat guests only, as is the retreat lounge. We were in a suite on the Eclpse and noticed the lines to get into the MDR on our way to the Luminae, where we were seated immediately in an uncrowded environment. That ship doesn’t have a developed Retreat sun deck, but that didn’t bother us. The suite status was still worth it..

• Like 1