Alaska - what an adventure!! A Review of our Quantum Cruise!!

Thank you for taking YOUR vacation time to post US a review, you did a great job! Sounds like you had a great vacation. I love looking back at vacation photos or seeing the memories come up on my phone and I just sit and smile 🙂

You definitely gave your kiddo a vacation of a lifetime 🥰

Question on taking the light rail from the airport...I assume that you took it to the Westlake Center stop.  How difficult was it getting from the train to the hotel?  Did you need to take your luggage out on the sidewalk or is there a hotel entrance inside?  Thanks.

51 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Question on taking the light rail from the airport...I assume that you took it to the Westlake Center stop.  How difficult was it getting from the train to the hotel?  Did you need to take your luggage out on the sidewalk or is there a hotel entrance inside?  Thanks.

We also got off on Westlake. It is an under ground station so you will need to walk outside  to the sidewalk to get to the hotel. Super easy walk - took at most 10 minutes.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, firewife09 said:

Last Day - Saying goodbye to Quantum

The one downfall of the cruise was that I started feeling pretty crummy about two days after we got home and ended up testing positive for Covid, then Hubby got it and finally the kiddo got it. We are all vaccinated and boosted but I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone. It for sure took its toll on all three of us. We were diligent about using hand sanitizer and washing our hands etc.... Just know that this is a risk of cruising in this time.

sorry to hear you all got covid.  hope you get better soonest.

I also so on a PTZ web site that at one point didn't Quantum have a Medic Helicopter evac while at sea on inside passage?

I mean the fire was interesting.  Now I hear some cruises in August have changed port due to engine issues.  My cruise in Aug 29th and hoping for the best.  And again hoping ya all recover.

I will continue to wear masks on ships like have done so far this year on Oasis class out of FLA

12 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

sorry to hear you all got covid.  hope you get better soonest.

I also so on a PTZ web site that at one point didn't Quantum have a Medic Helicopter evac while at sea on inside passage?

I mean the fire was interesting.  Now I hear some cruises in August have changed port due to engine issues.  My cruise in Aug 29th and hoping for the best.  And again hoping ya all recover.

I will continue to wear masks on ships like have done so far this year on Oasis class out of FLA

We had two medical incidences on this cruise - one in Ketchikan and one in Juneau. We were not updated to the reason but are hoping those individuals are now safe and healthy. 

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I'm sorry you all ended up with covid. Hope every one is feeling better. 

I was wondering about the ifly -  does that cost extra? and when were you able to book it? 

We are sailing Aug 1 - a group of 8: 4 adults and 4 kiddos. 

29 minutes ago, kwillis07 said:

Thank you for such a wonderful review! I'm sorry you all ended up with covid. Hope every one is feeling better. 

I was wondering about the ifly -  does that cost extra? and when were you able to book it? 

We are sailing Aug 1 - a group of 8: 4 adults and 4 kiddos. 

So there are two option for IFly - one that is free and a lot shorter of an experience. And the second option is a longer experience and I believe was $29 each. It is a blast and I highly recommend. 

1 hour ago, kwillis07 said:

and when were you able to book it? 

The free sessions are available on port days and the app will only list availability starting about 8AM on that day only (can only book for that day).

22 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The free sessions are available on port days and the app will only list availability starting about 8AM on that day only (can only book for that day).

If you want to book a paid session for any day you can book it right when you get on the ship WiFi the first day on the royal app. I booked it the moment I sat down on embankment day.

On 6/30/2022 at 6:02 PM, firewife09 said:

Last Day - Saying goodbye to Quantum

We woke up at 7am and got ready for the morning. Headed to Wind Jammer for breakfast and patiently waited for our group to be called.

We were group 22 and were called approx 8:30am.

Getting off the boat was a breeze for us. We were off the ship at 8:45am, picked up our luggage in the cruise terminal at 9am (I repacked one of the bags and added the stuff we had kept with us to get ready in the morning). Got in the taxi line and were in a taxi by 9:45am. Taxis to SeaTac are a $40 flat rate. We were at the airport by 10:20am and had dropped off our bags, gone thru security by 11am.

We grabbed McDonald's at the airport and headed to our gate ready for our 2:45pm lift off........ Only to be delayed - ugh. New time was 3:30pm. Flight home was uneventful and smooth.

This trip was everything we wanted it to be and more - our family had such a blast. I would definitely do this cruise all over again.

The one downfall of the cruise was that I started feeling pretty crummy about two days after we got home and ended up testing positive for Covid, then Hubby got it and finally the kiddo got it. We are all vaccinated and boosted but I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone. It for sure took its toll on all three of us. We were diligent about using hand sanitizer and washing our hands etc.... Just know that this is a risk of cruising in this time.

Please feel free to ask me any and all questions. I probably left a few details out.

From our family to yours thanks for reading our review - This trip is now a family core memory.

A maz ing review and absolutely loved the photos.  The only question I have is really unfair to ask...   would your son say he enjoyed Alaska?

I've booked a surprise trip for my dh, dd and me in 2024. Dd is 12 now, so I'm wondering if she'll appreciate the experience (beyond the ship. That part's a gimme) at all. 

Also, can you remind me where you explored on your own, port-wise?   I realize things can change in two years...

3 hours ago, firewife09 said:

So there are two option for IFly - one that is free and a lot shorter of an experience. And the second option is a longer experience and I believe was $29 each. It is a blast and I highly recommend. 

Beware.  My dd did iFly on board and has twice requested a flight experience for her birthday since. It's not cheap lol.  Locations all over the US. 

10 minutes ago, sadiwest said:

A maz ing review and absolutely loved the photos.  The only question I have is really unfair to ask...   would your son say he enjoyed Alaska?

I've booked a surprise trip for my dh, dd and me in 2024. Dd is 12 now, so I'm wondering if she'll appreciate the experience (beyond the ship. That part's a gimme) at all. 

Also, can you remind me where you explored on your own, port-wise?   I realize things can change in two years...

My 12yr old had a blast both on the boat and at the ports BUT I did make sure to book excursions that he was interested in.

we explored Ketchikan on our own (not by choice, excursion was canceled) and I wish we would have done Victoria on our own (no need for an excursion).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

We are also on the August 29 sailing and according to the Itinerary showing on our reservation on the Royal Caribbean website, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier as well as Juneau scheduled for September 2nd are no longer showing. 

Really surprised with all the heavy coats I see you all wearing in the different ports. When we went to Alaska a few years back when we went in early May we only had to use heavy coats like that  was when viewing Hubbard Glacier.

I guess we were super lucky with our weather I guess.

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We are also on the August 29 sailing and according to the Itinerary showing on our reservation on the Royal Caribbean website, Endicott Arm & Dawes Glacier as well as Juneau scheduled for September 2nd are no longer showing. 

what no Juneau either.

I though the ship would be okay after mid August.

This is disappointing and I feel too many ships are popping up suddenly with issues.

I will check out and see what my reservation says as I have not received an email.

And a couple of weeks later my Adv OTS is NOT going to Halifax due to port issues and now going to Sydney.  Last two Oasis class ships I have done NO broadway shows.

Glad I am doing an NCL cruise next week as they have not many any changes so far.  time will tell how 2022 is shaking out.  

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

aw ai see what you mean if you go into cruise planner but for Day 5 if I scroll down it still has my shorex for Juneau.

It could be just an error within the column headings of planner.  I have not been told my shorex or Juneau has been changed.

But I no longer see any glaciers either.  time will tell.

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

aw ai see what you mean if you go into cruise planner but for Day 5 if I scroll down it still has my shorex for Juneau.

It could be just an error within the column headings of planner.  I have not been told my shorex or Juneau has been changed.

But I no longer see any glaciers either.  time will tell.

You may be correct.  I had my TA contact RCCL and she reported back that the September 2nd Dawes Glacier/Endicott Arm as well as Juneau port visit are still on the itinerary. 

I guess we’ll find out more the closer we get to our cruise date.

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You may be correct.  I had my TA contact RCCL and she reported back that the September 2nd Dawes Glacier/Endicott Arm as well as Juneau port visit are still on the itinerary. 

I guess we’ll find out more the closer we get to our cruise date.

yes, I think perhaps during most of August they will resolve issues with the engine since right now it is only July 2nd.  

For me I want to make sure I get to Ketchikan and Sitka.  I have seen the glaciers 3-4 times but I also realize other folks might not have seen them yet.

This will be our third and fourth Alaska cruise so we have been to everywhere except Icy Point Straights and Dawes Glacier. 

Saw a posting by someone on the August 15th sailing showing a letter they received saying they would miss the glacier but were being given one days booking cost as OBC to make up for it. 

Our online booking information is still not showing us scheduled for glacier or port visit on September 2nd but they still have time to fix things. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the review and the lovely photos. All the flower photos reminded me of the beautiful flowers we saw when we took an Alaskan cruise in 2004.

I was surprised to see so many beautiful flowers blooming ,but we were there in July and it is a Summer month.

Hoping you and your hubby and son feel much better soon. Darn virus!!!

MJ🙋🏻

Fantastic review and photos. Looks like you had a wonderful time and made some fantastic memories for your son! 
‘ We are on Quantum in September so this was so helpful.  What was your overall impression of the ship and your cabin? 

Edited by librarylady19