ship rockiness for Pride of America between islands?

coco2014

1 minute ago, coco2014 said:

Hi All

I wonder how rough is the water when Pride of America travel between islands?   I have family members that are sensitive to motion, and wonder how bad it is.
Thanks

Coco

Give them Bonine and enjoy the cruise…it could be smooth or bumpy, no way to know cruise to cruise. 

• Like 3

Could be stormy and rough, could be smooth sailing.  Could be both in the same day.

Obvious answer:   It's a great cruise and if your family is susceptible to sea-sickness plan accordingly and bring the appropriate medications.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

I would be more concerned with sea-sickness (mal de mer) on a small craft rather than a large

cruise ship. Windy yes but rip tides are not going to affect the island cruising.

Oh there would be exceptions - maybe in a major tropical storm just like one would experience

in the Caribbean (hurricane zone) or a down right nasty Atlantic don ' eastern.

Relax for the most part you will always have stable solid footing - the cruising portion is done

during the night sleeping hours between the islands. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, coco2014 said:

I wonder how rough is the water when Pride of America travel between islands?   I have family members that are sensitive to motion, and wonder how bad it is.

Coco, if your family members are really sensitive, then have them get a prescription patch. The channels between the islands are usually a bit rough. The winds between the islands cause some chop.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Coco, if your family members are really sensitive, then have them get a prescription patch. The channels between the islands are usually a bit rough. The winds between the islands cause some chop.  

Thank you @BirdTravels

I have pretty extreme seasickness and wear the acupressure bands 24/7 on all cruises.  I also go to the NCL guest services desk on the first day and ask for a week’s worth of anti-seasickness tablets.  They are free and I take one every 12 hours.  I have done the POA cruise 4 times and have never had a problem.

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

We must be missing something here.  It sounds like you are surprised the ship has to move from island to island.  As mentioned earlier, they sail at night.

With two overnights in ports.  

We had an aft balcony (waste of money considering how much time we were in port) and didn't notice any rough seas, we had some rainy times, nothing major.  Nothing like the Atlantic during hurricane season or January.

"Your experience may vary."

I have sailed between Hawaiian islands various times on a heaving 40 foot trimaran, half at night like POA does. There is often a rough area between the islands from funneling NE tradewinds, strongest in summer. But more noticeable on a big ship should be the long period swell coming from winter storms near the arctic or antarctic in our summer, which delight surfers and also funnels between.

So spring and fall should bring the least action for the super sensitive, although the ports are so close that the ship may loiter in protected zones part of the night. It can be hard to steer a course around POA when it is slowly wandering at random. I adore wave motion as long as I have no greasy food sloshing in my belly. To me the awful US diet of comfort food is the main risk factor for motion sickness.