Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

1 hour ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I find it interesting that regarding the dress codes, it is almost always about what the guys can or can't wear. Jacket or no jacket. Tie or no tie. Suit vs. sport coat and slacks. It seems like the ladies almost get a free pass on dress codes. Sometimes it is just tough being a guy!! OK, now flame me for having an opinion.

Hahahaha - it's funny because it's true. I'm an amateur musician, and for orchestra concerts the men have to wear tuxes, the women can wear black sweats if they want.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rothko1 said:

Why do so many men think it is a challenge or a chore to wear a tuxedo? 

Most men these days don’t have a tuxedo, and aren’t going to buy one just for a cruise or three.  I agree that a navy blue blazer, tie and dark slacks looks the same as a dark suit.  My late husband never wanted to wear a suit again after he retired, but he dressed as I’ve stated. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

It’s not.  No different than wearing a suit, or a jacket with dress pants.

Men know they are all the same, yet worn for different functions. Some folk just like to complain for the sake of complaining.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rothko1 said:

A tuxedo is not just a variation of a suit.  With a tux you also need a special frilly shirt, a set of studs, a bow tie, a cummerbund, and patent leather shoes.  Otherwise you are not truly in formal wear.  All this extra packing for one night (or a few)?  And then, after all that, you look like a head waiter.  Not worth it to me, even if I owned any of those things.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

With a tux you also need a special frilly shirt, a set of studs, a bow tie, a cummerbund, and patent leather shoes.  Otherwise you are not truly in formal wear.

Oh, Jazz. We entered a new millennium over two decades ago.  The modern sartorial man wouldn’t be caught dead wearing what you think is formal wear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Oh, Jazz. We entered a new millennium over two decades ago.  The modern sartorial man wouldn’t be caught dead wearing what you think is formal wear.

Nor would I.  In fact, I won't be laid out dressed like that [or even in a dark suit].  When I get to heaven I want to be comfortable!  

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2022 at 3:11 PM, Observer said:

If there is in fact misunderstanding/ambiguity and if the maitres d' are put in a difficult situation, what about discrete signs rolled out at outlet entrances during dinner.

No sign would appear at any outlet on casual nights or at The Grill.

On informal nights the sign would read: "Tonight's Attire:  Informal.  Jacket for Gentlemen."  But in La Terrazza it would read "Tonight's Attire:  Informal.  Jacket Suggested for Gentlemen."

On formal nights the sign would read: "Tonight's Attire:  Formal.  Suit and Tie for Gentlemen."  But in La Terrazza it would read "Tonight's Attire:  Formal.  Suit and Tie Suggested for Gentlemen. Jacket w/o Tie acceptable."

Why just Gentleman?

52 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Why just Gentleman?

Ladies know how to read these male dress codes and figure out how that translates for them.  It's only we Gentlemen who are clueless and need everything spelled out...  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Ladies know how to read these male dress codes and figure out how that translates for them.  It's only we Gentlemen who are clueless and need everything spelled out...  🤣

Really, next time you are on a cruise—-better look around, don’t think so………..

I found a few formal jackets that I think would go well on SS formal nights. Plus a couple of hats which seem to have gone out of favour. I would like a little help from the CC community to help me with the correct choice.

19E42077-059F-4D89-A336-DB93D514E87B.thumb.jpeg.c7b76c97b0371e281ac7f1063e657247.jpeg

1A441344-3B9F-4BE0-9BE4-6D7C278DF8CA.thumb.jpeg.e9fe4140d710dde2fee3ba60b78a2f79.jpeg

9D731C5A-7CD9-4D89-88FA-EA15EDCF7764.thumb.jpeg.e5b8c5d605a2fbddd12c6896a284b8b2.jpeg

E1F51E23-EA01-43C2-87DD-27328C32AEE0.thumb.jpeg.495f696a79afdc68871410bb7de8b558.jpeg

632474BF-C7F5-445C-A1CF-CFF1F0A16114.thumb.jpeg.772067cea00eda38cb15ec6532e6f285.jpeg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, drron29 said:

I found a few formal jackets that I think would go well on SS formal nights. Plus a couple of hats which seem to have gone out of favour. I would like a little help from the CC community to help me with the correct choice.

19E42077-059F-4D89-A336-DB93D514E87B.thumb.jpeg.c7b76c97b0371e281ac7f1063e657247.jpeg

1A441344-3B9F-4BE0-9BE4-6D7C278DF8CA.thumb.jpeg.e9fe4140d710dde2fee3ba60b78a2f79.jpeg

9D731C5A-7CD9-4D89-88FA-EA15EDCF7764.thumb.jpeg.e5b8c5d605a2fbddd12c6896a284b8b2.jpeg

E1F51E23-EA01-43C2-87DD-27328C32AEE0.thumb.jpeg.495f696a79afdc68871410bb7de8b558.jpeg

632474BF-C7F5-445C-A1CF-CFF1F0A16114.thumb.jpeg.772067cea00eda38cb15ec6532e6f285.jpeg

I loved those jackets and hats,I'm surprised that the charity shop hasn't sold them yet.

• Haha 2

The first jacket would be best for Formal Night.  The off-white color would certainly be similar to a white dinner jacket.  I think you could get away with the third as well.  The middle one is too colorful; I would save that for an Informal Night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

That middle one . . .

mycuzvinny-cz-redvintage.jpg?ssl=1

Edited by JYDCruise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just sailed the Mediterranean on beautiful Silver Dawn, and I was pleasantly surprised how the attire was elegant casual.   At the beginning of the cruise, I wore a dark blazer jacket.   As the cruise progressed, it seemed appropriate to just wear a collared dress shirt with nice pants, for dinner, as the majority of other men were dressed.    I’m delighted to see that Silversea is now moving on with the times. Some men wore suits others dress shirts and some just collared polo’s. In my opinion everyone looked great and no one seemed to be too worried about what others were wearing. As I stated it was the Med, Very Hot! lots of new people, first time cruisers and groups of friends and family so maybe the staff wasn’t so strict on the dress code as on all my previous Silversea Cruises. It really hope it remains this way because it’s so much easier for the men!! It was a fabulous Cruise!

• Like 2