Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

Well we did enjoy our Kaiseki dinner but the incident meant there will be a complaint on our cruise questionare,

Another moment of the slack enforcement on the Dawn after dinner at the show in the Venetian Lounge. Four young men and a young woman attended in jeans and t shirts. This didn't worry me as it was a concert with the songs of Queen and that's what they would wear to a concert.

What intriqued me was the mask rule.They are meant to be worn in the Venetian Lounge. In the front 2 rows only 4 out of 20 were wearing a mask and one was me. In the rest of the theatre I could only see 4 worn correctly out of about 80 passengers.

Now I think mask mandates now are a bit of theatre but if management says you must wear a mask I do.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2022 at 11:14 AM, Silver Spectre said:

IMHO you are totally wrong and your continued attempts to change what makes it special are tiresome at best. You are part of a very vocal minority who seem to believe that repetition will wear us down and make SS conform to your point of view.

On 8/1/2022 at 10:21 PM, Mr Luxury said:

I think dress codes on ships are very clear and obvious but some people like to invent their own dress code to suit themselves.

Following a dress code is very easy but I guess some people like to rebel because they don't really know how to dress properly in a situation that might not be what they are used to in their everyday life.

I'm considering taking a Silversea cruise, and have to say that this thread is giving me pause. No, it's not the dress code per se that is giving me second thoughts . . .

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

I'm considering taking a Silversea cruise, and have to say that this thread is giving me pause. No, it's not the dress code per se that is giving me second thoughts . . .

Always listen to to the “voice inside`’  is a wiser choice.  🙂 

One of the reasons we book with SS is that we can dress up along with so many others as so many other lines are very casual now. I would really hate it if SS had to lower the dress code just to fit in with everyone who wants to be casual.  I hate being in the minority and hope they do listen to those of us who do like and stick to the dress code.  

• Like 9

On 8/16/2022 at 7:16 AM, Desperate to Sail said:

Nothing makes me angrier than stipulating an arbitrary rule and then not even bothering to enforce it. I'd rather not pack and haul a suit and a separate jacket but, if that's SS's protocol, I will follow it. It's no different than mandating  masks in certain public areas and then not enforcing the rule.

If this is the situation on our upcoming Dawn cruise, I will first bring it to the attention of the Maitre d' and if it persists, the Hotel Director. After that, in my cruise review.

Call me a hard ass if you wish. But I also stop at all red lights- not just the ones that suit (pun intended) me. 

Sounds good, but if you want them to enforce the dress code, SS should enforce all rules.  Youcan’t pick and choose which rules to enforce.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:08 AM, Tudorcruisers said:

One of the reasons we book with SS is that we can dress up along with so many others as so many other lines are very casual now. I would really hate it if SS had to lower the dress code just to fit in with everyone who wants to be casual.  I hate being in the minority and hope they do listen to those of us who do like and stick to the dress code.  

It’s going to be all about revenue for SS—that will make or brake the rule—not a few people.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capri73 said:

I so agree we don t need black tie but dressing nicely is not that hard.

I never said anything about that, I agree 100% nicely is good and it should be that way.  If someone is dressed as you say nicely - at a different table, why shouldI care, it’s not going to make my dining  experience any different.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

I never said anything about that, I agree 100% nicely is good and it should be that way.  If someone is dressed as you say nicely - at a different table, why shouldI care, it’s not going to make my dining  experience any different.

I agree.

I understand fully that some do enjoy dressing up and why it adds so much to their personal experience and I understand how much they might look forward to this elegant element of a cruise.  I do genuinely do get that and appreciate that.    I also understand why they might tut at people not adhering to rules - I tut at people wearing some stuff in restaurants even at the easier going lunches - but a shrug and tut is all I indulge myself in and I push on.  It is the only way of me coping comparatively healthily with the other 7bn people on this planet. 

To a lessor degree I understand why some who feel so strongly on this topic might be mildly irritated about what others are wearing at the same table.  But why some worry about what others wear on other tables or other parts of the ship at the same time or get so angry about the topic I genuinely find bewildering.  

I understand that the defence of this high degree of anger is based on the idea of others not following of rules.  I do get that.  But that position is only sustainable by those that ALWAYS follow every other rule in life rather than simply those that they choose to respect.  Otherwise it is hypocritical and unfair.    So do the same people who seem to get so angry aout this  in the rest of their lives always follow every rule that might not be so important or unjustifiable to themselves that might be important to others?  Doing 31mph in a 30 limit for example.

So to be clear,  I ALWAYS personally respect AND FULLY adhere to this dress rule even though I routinely break the speed limit.  I do so because I have taken pretty advanced driving instruction and  I delude myself into believing that a little speeding is not too bad, but on this topic  I remain bewildered about the depth of other peoples feelings but because I simply feel it better for harmony and to respect others - so allow them my adherence to that rule because of how  it is so important to them.  So on cruises I have remained suite imprisoned on the relevant nights and do sandwiches or whatever. 

My continued bewilderment will remain that I understand people getting  a little bit  irritated and tutting - but what I don’t get is the depth of anger and sort of hatred it generates.  

I do so hope that those that feel that way will respect the balance I try to show in understanding their position  and can see the genuineness with which I’d like to better understand why it makes people who otherwise think of themselves as being extremely nice to others, but on this subject appear to get so extremely agitated and rather intolerant and angry to others.

Who is being nasty to who?

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 6

I remember being on the Silver Cloud, docked in a stinking container port in West Africa, and if you looked across the channel you could see beggars foraging in the rubbish and men defecating in the sea.  And on the top deck Silversea passengers were walking around in tuxedos and ball gowns.  It was straight out of a Bunuel movie.  Surreal and utterly absurd.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fletcher said:

I remember being on the Silver Cloud, docked in a stinking container port in West Africa, and if you looked across the channel you could see beggars foraging in the rubbish and men defecating in the sea.  And on the top deck Silversea passengers were walking around in tuxedos and ball gowns.  It was straight out of a Bunuel movie.  Surreal and utterly absurd.  

It's when you see the guests foraging at the buffet and defecating in the pool that you really need to worry.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I agree.

I understand fully that some do enjoy dressing up and why it adds so much to their personal experience and I understand how much they might look forward to this elegant element of a cruise.  I do genuinely do get that and appreciate that.    I also understand why they might tut at people not adhering to rules - I tut at people wearing some stuff in restaurants even at the easier going lunches - but a shrug and tut is all I indulge myself in and I push on.  It is the only way of me coping comparatively healthily with the other 7bn people on this planet. 

To a lessor degree I understand why some who feel so strongly on this topic might be mildly irritated about what others are wearing at the same table.  But why some worry about what others wear on other tables or other parts of the ship at the same time or get so angry about the topic I genuinely find bewildering.  

I understand that the defence of this high degree of anger is based on the idea of others not following of rules.  I do get that.  But that position is only sustainable by those that ALWAYS follow every other rule in life rather than simply those that they choose to respect.  Otherwise it is hypocritical and unfair.    So do the same people who seem to get so angry aout this  in the rest of their lives always follow every rule that might not be so important or unjustifiable to themselves that might be important to others?  Doing 31mph in a 30 limit for example.

So to be clear,  I ALWAYS personally respect AND FULLY adhere to this dress rule even though I routinely break the speed limit.  I do so because I have taken pretty advanced driving instruction and  I delude myself into believing that a little speeding is not too bad, but on this topic  I remain bewildered about the depth of other peoples feelings but because I simply feel it better for harmony and to respect others - so allow them my adherence to that rule because of how  it is so important to them.  So on cruises I have remained suite imprisoned on the relevant nights and do sandwiches or whatever. 

My continued bewilderment will remain that I understand people getting  a little bit  irritated and tutting - but what I don’t get is the depth of anger and sort of hatred it generates.  

I do so hope that those that feel that way will respect the balance I try to show in understanding their position  and can see the genuineness with which I’d like to better understand why it makes people who otherwise think of themselves as being extremely nice to others, but on this subject appear to get so extremely agitated and rather intolerant and angry to others.

Who is being nasty to who?

Jeff

Couldn’t agree more——if someone wants to dress (formal) who cares—and if someone doesn’t, who cares.  You’re on a cruise to enjoy, so enjoy no matter what you wear at dinner (within reason).

• Like 3

I won’t go on my first ( and maybe only) Silver Sea cruise until 2023, but in an era where all clearly know the style of cruise ship they are choosing, this should be a nonissue. It reminds me of a true story of the couple that decided to retire early and move to Costa Rica for the beauty, the low cost of living and the favorable weather. Some 40 or so days later I saw one at work, and I commented that they must be back to do some final cleanup. They said no, they had actually left and returned to the States.  When I asked why, without the slightest hint of irony, they said, “They speak way too much Spanish there.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chas2crews said:

I won’t go on my first ( and maybe only) Silver Sea cruise until 2023, but in an era where all clearly know the style of cruise ship they are choosing, this should be a nonissue. It reminds me of a true story of the couple that decided to retire early and move to Costa Rica for the beauty, the low cost of living and the favorable weather. Some 40 or so days later I saw one at work, and I commented that they must be back to do some final cleanup. They said no, they had actually left and returned to the States.  When I asked why, without the slightest hint of irony, they said, “They speak way too much Spanish there.”

Thanks for providing your personal and highly thoughtful insight into this issue.

It is useful because your story of a person going to a Spanish speaking country and objecting to them speaking Spanish did make me share with you a chuckle.  What complete idiots!  But from that point on I must admit you have lost me.  

Is “dressing up” so all consuming that you believe that anyone else that doesn’t want to dress up  even if it is at a “dressing up” party should be treated so angrily  and not allowed in?   Or might there be just a glimmer of niceness within you to look upon the rest of us lessor mortals with a bit of indulgence?  

What is wrong with sharing a room - or even the whole house - with people of a sightly different colour? 

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 2

For those who want SS to enforce the dress code and who get upset at those passengers who don't adhere to the dress code, I'd suggest that the animus should be directed at SS for not clearly stating the rules for dress code on its ships. (Although I've noted this in prior posts, since posters here tell us some in SS management do read Cruise Critic, at the risk of repetition, let me explain what SS does say, and what SS doesn't say, to inform passengers.)

The problem starts with the fact that there is no place on the SS website which describes a "dress code". In fact, a search of the entire SS website turns up only one instance of the words "dress code": in the description of The Grill, it states "Dress code: Casual. Casual wear consists of pants, blouses or casual dresses for women; open-neck shirts and slacks for men are appropriate." Strangely, none of the other restaurants have a comparable "dress code" section.

I know that most regular posters here know what the SS dress code is — but if you haven't actually looked for it on the website any time recently, it might be eye-opening to see how obtuse this information actually is.

What we all refer to here as the "dress code" is buried on the SS website on the "General Cruise Information and Guidelines" page. On that page, looking for "dress code" will be unsuccessful, but you will find it if you click on the 13th heading, which is un-intuitively labeled "Packing your cruise luggage".

After six paragraphs about actual luggage issues, it gets around to discussing what we call the "dress code". But the sub-heading there is called "Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire". It then describes the three categories of evening attire. It starts with casual evenings, describing what is "appropriate". It follows with informal evenings describing what people "usually wear". It concludes with "appropriate formal evening wear for ladies…and gentlemen". The use of the language "suggestions for attire," "appropriate," and "usually wear" do not convey the existence of a firm dress code which everyone must follow.

Oddly, the word "required" appears only three times. One is for a tie being required on formal nights. The second is that a jacket, but not formal attire, is required on 7 day sailings in the Baltic, Mediterranean and Alaska formal nights. The third is for a jacket being required after dinner, in a poorly-worded paragraph which one has to do some parsing to discern it applies to formal nights in all public areas of the ship. (If one dines without a jacket at The Grill, which is optional casual all nights, it's not clear how one is supposed to walk about the ship to return to one's room if a jacket is required in "any and all public spaces". Star Trek transporter? Hall pass from the maitre d'? 😉

So I feel people who feel strongly that SS should maintain its dress code should lobby SS to actually spell out the dress code more clearly on its website. Yes, I know some people actually know the attire SS aims for, but decide to do otherwise because they feel the rules don't apply to them — especially if the "rules" are described as "suggestions for attire". If the dress code isn't clearly stated and easy to find, it's unfair to be upset at people who don't know them or don't choose to follow the "suggestions." And CC threads on dress codes will go on forever. 

It would be easy to re-write the dress code section of the web site to use the term "dress code" or "rules for attire onboard". Words like "code" or "rules" are necessary if the intent is not for this to be optional or up to each passenger's discretion. And it can't be buried in a section about packing luggage.

While they're re-writing this section, it would also help if they addressed the dress code for expedition ships — something which is not mentioned at all currently. And to update restaurant information so the dress code doesn't refer to optional informal dress at "Stars on board Silver Spirit" — a restaurant which doesn't even exist.

If SS believes its dress code is part of the cruise line's appeal to passengers, then they need to make it clear so everyone knows and plays by the same rules. If SS believes making the dress code explicit and clear might drive potential passengers away, then they need to make formal dress optional to pull in those customers. Currently, it seems they're trying to have it both ways by muddying the waters — and that only raises the ire of their customers (both those who want formal attire retained and enforced and those who would prefer more relaxed evening attire) and regularly puts their onboard staff in uncomfortable positions.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

If there is in fact misunderstanding/ambiguity and if the maitres d' are put in a difficult situation, what about discrete signs rolled out at outlet entrances during dinner.

No sign would appear at any outlet on casual nights or at The Grill.

On informal nights the sign would read: "Tonight's Attire:  Informal.  Jacket for Gentlemen."  But in La Terrazza it would read "Tonight's Attire:  Informal.  Jacket Suggested for Gentlemen."

On formal nights the sign would read: "Tonight's Attire:  Formal.  Suit and Tie for Gentlemen."  But in La Terrazza it would read "Tonight's Attire:  Formal.  Suit and Tie Suggested for Gentlemen. Jacket w/o Tie acceptable."

Edited by Observer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It is my opinion that Silversea's dress code is unclear on purpose, for reasons stated in cruiseej's excellent summary above, in which the last paragraph is right on the money.  They could publish a concise, clear dress code very easily if they wanted to, but they do not. 

They want to market to all potential cruisers. and it is only a small percentage of guests onboard (as opposed to the percentage on Cruise Critic) who really care what anyone else is wearing.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, cruiseej said:

Currently, it seems they're trying to have it both ways by muddying the waters — and that only raises the ire of their customers (both those who want formal attire retained and enforced and those who would prefer more relaxed evening attire) and regularly puts their onboard staff in uncomfortable positions.

So true.  Battle lines have been drawn based on SS trying to thread the needle.

Excellent essay on the topic cruiseej.

16 hours ago, Observer said:

If there is in fact misunderstanding/ambiguity and if the maitres d' are put in a difficult situation, what about discrete signs rolled out at outlet entrances during dinner.

No sign would appear at any outlet on casual nights or at The Grill.

On informal nights the sign would read: "Tonight's Attire:  Informal.  Jacket for Gentlemen."  But in La Terrazza it would read "Tonight's Attire:  Informal.  Jacket Suggested for Gentlemen."

On formal nights the sign would read: "Tonight's Attire:  Formal.  Suit and Tie for Gentlemen."  But in La Terrazza it would read "Tonight's Attire:  Formal.  Suit and Tie Suggested for Gentlemen. Jacket w/o Tie acceptable."

Nice effort but sounds borderline draconian, not to mention awkward when one arrives for a reservation.  What if their attire doesn’t confirm 100% to the signage…I guess they have to turn around and go change? Order room service?  Not a luxury experience.  It just becomes silly.