Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

Just off the Moon on 7-15. On informal night at Atlantide, I saw men either being given a SS jacket to wear or if SS ran out of jackets, the men were turned away from the restaurant.

Here are my observations from the recent cruise.

A. Levi's  or jeans (whatever you call them) seemed to be allowed for men and women on all different dress codes including formal nights

B. Formal night- if you had a jacket with or without a tie, you were OK.

c. Informal night- Men needed a jacket in most restaurants.

Ladies seemed to be given a lot more latitude regarding dress codes so don't sweat the little stuff. I would not worry about the dress code issue and enjoy your cruise. Men can bring at least one jacket (suit or sports coat) and one tie. Pack lightly unless you are shipping your luggage!!

• Like 1

Thanks @A Tucson Guy .  Can you also finally nail down the original question of this thread:  outside of restaurants, does the dress code apply to ALL public parts of the ship after 6pm?  [I.e., do I have to keep the suit and tie on after dinner if I go to a show or have a drink in the bar?

5 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thanks @A Tucson Guy .  Can you also finally nail down the original question of this thread:  outside of restaurants, does the dress code apply to ALL public parts of the ship after 6pm?  [I.e., do I have to keep the suit and tie on after dinner if I go to a show or have a drink in the bar?

My observation on Formal and informal nights was that men seemed to still have their jackets on in Venetian Lounge, Panorama Lounge etc. I can't say whether they would have been kicked out for not wearing a jacket. I did see men remove their jackets once seated and that did not seem to be a problem.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I did see men remove their jackets once seated and that did not seem to be a problem.

A Gentleman never removes his jacket at the dinner table.

A Gentleman may remove his jacket if he is challenged to a dual.😁

• Haha 4

Here is what my Silver Cloud Setting Sail Guide says for our September Expedition voyage:

However, on our Silver Cloud Holiday Antarctica voyage this past December, there were few jackets worn by men on informal nights.  

WHAT TO PACK
PACKING ESSENTIALS
CLOTHING ABOARD THE SHIP
Shipboard attire ranges from casual to informal. Casual wear is
appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore, and consists of
standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should
be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire is casual
with the exception of the Captain’s Welcome Aboard and Farewell
Dinners, which are informal. On casual evenings, open-neck
shirts, trousers and casual wear are appropriate.

On the two informal evenings, women usually wear dresses or
trouser suits; men wear jackets (tie optional).
Remember to pack
swimwear.

15 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

A Gentleman never removes his jacket at the dinner table.

A Gentleman may remove his jacket if he is challenged to a dual.😁

Gentlemen who perspire a lot when it is warm in dining rooms remove their jackets, to avoid excess sweating and the odors of non-gentlemen, which ladies do not like. 🙂

Thank goodness  there is no SS rule against removing one's jacket at a table if one is very warm, but I understand the old tradition of not doing so and just sweating it out to be more civilised.

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

Does one need to wear socks, as the information clearly does not state that one must.

My dear friend Elon would like to know...

Any Floridian should know that you don't wear socks with anything except business suits and tuxedos.

🙂 

On 7/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, cruiseej said:

The flashing light is activated by water, so unless someone threw a drink at him, it probably wasn't on. 😉

I had a close call at the bar when I spilled a little of my adult beverage on the vest, but the light did not go on!

Currently on the second leg of back to back cruises on the Whisper. Little to no enforcement of dress codes.

Casual night: One night a passenger sat in The Bar from 6:45 to 7:15 in shorts.

Informal: A good number of men do not wear jackets in bars or restaurants 

Formal: Fewer than 30% of men have tuxedos or dark suits. However, almost everyone had a jacket and tie in the bars and restaurants.

Bottom line: On this cruise the dress code is just a suggestion that I have not seen enforced anywhere. Is this a harbinger of a new dress code policy to come a la Seabourn?

8 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Currently on the second leg of back to back cruises on the Whisper. Little to no enforcement of dress codes.

Casual night: One night a passenger sat in The Bar from 6:45 to 7:15 in shorts.

Informal: A good number of men do not wear jackets in bars or restaurants 

Formal: Fewer than 30% of men have tuxedos or dark suits. However, almost everyone had a jacket and tie in the bars and restaurants.

Bottom line: On this cruise the dress code is just a suggestion that I have not seen enforced anywhere. Is this a harbinger of a new dress code policy to come a la Seabourn?

Hopefully!  Though shorts should be verboten in the evening, period.  Seems clear the gents have had it with tuxes and even suits on vacay.  

I think it will be a real shame if things go completely casual.  Because it is a never ending slippery slope.

Let's not require black tie, they can wear dark suits.  Then it becomes blazers and ties instead; then just blazers.  Forget blazers, just let men wear trousers and shirts with collars.  Then it slips to jeans and nice shirts, who cares if there is a collar?  Then nice shorts; nice dressy t-shirts.  Hey, why dress up - I'm on vacation.  My bathing suit is nice, and its expensive.  That baseball hat was from Pebble Beach - its classy.  The cabin is so far away, I don't want to go and change. It's my money, my vacation, so I'll wear whatever I like, and I don't care what anyone thinks anyways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Hopefully!  Though shorts should be verboten in the evening, period.  Seems clear the gents have had it with tuxes and even suits on vacay.  

Based on this current experience, I would have to agree.

Last night a man showed up in the main restaurant on Informal night in a black tank top, while another man showed up in the main bar in a red Hawaiian shirt with yellow pineapples. The staff just shrug their shoulders and say we have no power anymore to enforce dress code rules. 

So, we all know what happens when policies are not enforced, right? 

Welcome to the Silver Dodo!