Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

1 hour ago, eastwoodboy said:

Currently on the Spirit we have had shorts and jeans in the restaurant 

Shorts and jeans are perfectly appropriate in Atlantide at breakfast and lunch.  

I have many hundreds of nights on Silversea and can recall only one instance in which shorts were permitted in the MDR during dinner.  In that case, it was embarkation day and the guest's luggage had been misdirected by the airline and was scheduled to be delivered to the ship after dinner but before departure.  Seeing this gentleman's knees did not significantly affect my dinner.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Observer said:

Shorts and jeans are perfectly appropriate in Atlantide at breakfast and lunch.  

You are quite correct but I was not referring to breakfast and lunch. I also have many hundred days and have never before seen this.

I think the fact there are more newbies than Venetians may have something to do with it. A very different vibe on this cruise.

Everyone knows the SS dress code, if you don't like it don't go.  Unless there is some exceptional circumstance anyone not adhering should be told they can't enter the restaurant but can get room service.  Period, strong letter to follow.  Don't let the door hit you in the ..........

What's next Elmer Fud t-shirts & flipflops?

• Like 3

We all know that this is a losing battle, but it is a battle which should be fought.  I know many clubs over the years that have relaxed their dress codes.  Only a few bastions remain firm.  Onboard, formal nights aren't what they used to be.

But as it was said, everyone knows the SS dress code.  That's part of the package that people buy.  If you want something more casual, there are other lines, even luxury lines, that allow more flexibility.

It's really a matter of the restaurant managers and/or staff enforcing the rules.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Everyone knows the SS dress code, if you don't like it don't go.  Unless there is some exceptional circumstance anyone not adhering should be told they can't enter the restaurant but can get room service.  Period, strong letter to follow.  Don't let the door hit you in the ..........

What's next Elmer Fud t-shirts & flipflops?

That's not true about everyone knowing the SS dress code. We are taking an SS cruise in two weeks with two other couples, both of which I had to recently inform about men needing a jacket a tie, and that this dress code would be enforced on certain nights in certain venues. One couple had a previous cruise with SS on an expedition ship, so thought a bigger ship would have the same dress code. The other couple are first-timers on SS and thought the dress code was optional. So not everyone is aware, and not everyone purposely breaks the dress code. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, eastwoodboy said:

It also depends on how the restaurant manager operates.

Currently on the Spirit we have had shorts and jeans in the restaurant and the wearing of jackets appears entirely optional. 

27 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

That's not true about everyone knowing the SS dress code. We are taking an SS cruise in two weeks with two other couples, both of which I had to recently inform about men needing a jacket a tie, and that this dress code would be enforced on certain nights in certain venues. One couple had a previous cruise with SS on an expedition ship, so thought a bigger ship would have the same dress code. The other couple are first-timers on SS and thought the dress code was optional. So not everyone is aware, and not everyone purposely breaks the dress code. 

So you think these people didn't know the dress code? come on.  Sure there are are a very small percent of people who are un aware of the rules and the people who make an honest mistake will probably  scramble and rectify the situation.  Personally I'd be ashamed for not researching the dress requirements better.  Always someone else's fault these days isn't it.

• Like 1

So few places still have dress codes these days (even top gourmet restaurants) that it is actually a shock to discover how hidebound Silversea is. So early 20th Century! I’m beginning to question my decision to book NZ in 2024…

16 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

So you think these people didn't know the dress code? come on.  Sure there are are a very small percent of people who are un aware of the rules and the people who make an honest mistake will probably  scramble and rectify the situation.  Personally I'd be ashamed for not researching the dress requirements better.  Always someone else's fault these days isn't it.

Of course I believe them as they are trusted and long-time friends who would not lie to me. And as soon as I told them about the dress code, they were happy to bring the required clothes. Not everyone reads the many pages of terms and conditions as carefully as they should, and not everyone goes on Cruise Critic to ask questions. Perhaps the dress code should be more prominently displayed in the listing of cruises, the booking engine, or in the confirmation so there is no chance of missing it. And if using a TA, it should be pointed out to them before booking. There are good people out there who honestly misunderstand the dress code requirements. My point is that we shouldn't automatically assume they are doing it on purpose.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

So few places still have dress codes these days (even top gourmet restaurants) that it is actually a shock to discover how hidebound Silversea is. So early 20th Century! I’m beginning to question my decision to book NZ in 2024…

Well, Jazzbeau, some very important people who gathered recently in Germany appear to agree with you, at least when it comes to ties!!!

photos-from-the-g7-summit-in-germany-feature-the-seven-world-leaders-without-ties.webp

Edited by commodoredave
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

Of course I believe them as they are trusted and long-time friends who would not lie to me. And as soon as I told them about the dress code, they were happy to bring the required clothes. Not everyone reads the many pages of terms and conditions as carefully as they should, and not everyone goes on Cruise Critic to ask questions. Perhaps the dress code should be more prominently displayed in the listing of cruises, the booking engine, or in the confirmation so there is no chance of missing it. And if using a TA, it should be pointed out to them before booking. There are good people out there who honestly misunderstand the dress code requirements. My point is that we shouldn't automatically assume they are doing it on purpose.

Totally agree my first sentence was referring to the people on eastwoodboys cruise which I attached..  Maybe they also didn't know the rules either but someone should have explained the guidelines to them and tell they need to adhere to the dress rules to eat in the restaurant.  I'm a cynic and think there is probably a much larger percent of entitled people breaking the dress code than unknowing folks.  Either way  enforcing the dress code with a cordial yet firm explanation solves both issues.  No reason to have rules if they aren't followed.

Edited by RetiredandTravel

Just now, RetiredandTravel said:

Totally agree my first sentence was referring to the people on eastwoodboys cruise which I attached..  Maybe they also didn't know the rules either but someone should explain the guidelines to them and tell they need to adhere to the dress rules to eat in the restaurant.  I'm a cynic and think there is probably a much larger percent of entitled people breaking the dress code than unknowing folks.  Either way  enforcing the dress code with a cordial yet firm explanation solves both issues.  No reason to have rules if they aren't followed.

You could well be correct about self-entitled people feeling they are above the rules -- wouldn't be the first time. I really do think Silversea should do much more to make the dress code more visible on their website -- it's very difficult to find. 

55 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

You could well be correct about self-entitled people feeling they are above the rules -- wouldn't be the first time. I really do think Silversea should do much more to make the dress code more visible on their website -- it's very difficult to find. 

I have the perfect solution.

If Silversea is an all Inclusive line then why not send guests all of the clothes that will be needed on a cruise then nobody will fall foul of the dress code.😁

Perfect I said.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/3/2022 at 5:29 PM, WesW said:

Clothing Suggestions – Shipboard Attire

Shipboard attire ranges from casual to formal. Casual wear is appropriate for daytime aboard ship or ashore and consists of standard sports outfits as worn at five-star resorts. Shoes should be flat or low heeled for deck activities. Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal. On casual evenings, pants, blouses, skirts and casual dresses for ladies; open-neck shirts and slacks for gentlemen are appropriate. On informal evenings, ladies usually wear dresses or pantsuits; gentlemen wear jackets (tie optional). Appropriate formal evening wear for ladies is an evening gown or cocktail dress; gentlemen wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required.

On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; dresses or pantsuits for ladies, jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual
all nights. Following dinner, all guests are free to take advantage of any or all public spaces, however, jacket is required. Sailings of 9 days or less typically feature 1 formal night, while longer voyages usually have 2-3 formal nights. Details will be provided in your final cruise documents, but the chart below provides a basic guideline to assist in packing the proper attire.

Thank you for your excellent (as usual) and objective dress code quotes for SS.

The only thing I would add, if you agree, is that *expedition* voyages do not ever *require*  a jacket or tie on any night (though some may choose to put on a jacket to meet the captain). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

Well, Jazzbeau, some very important people who gathered recently in Germany appear to agree with you, at least when it comes to ties!!!

photos-from-the-g7-summit-in-germany-feature-the-seven-world-leaders-without-ties.webp

I would argue that this supports the "adhere to dress codes" folks on this thread.  Do you think that 7 world leaders all decided to show up in suits, white shirts, no ties for a photo-op by coincidence?

Someone came up with a Dress Code for that event, and each of these leaders strictly adhered to it.

So should cruisers.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, commodoredave said:

You are correct it is hard to find.  I did eventually locate it, its under "Packing Your Cruise Luggage".

https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html

45 minutes ago, Rothko1 said:

I would argue that this supports the "adhere to dress codes" folks on this thread.  Do you think that 7 world leaders all decided to show up in suits, white shirts, no ties for a photo-op by coincidence?

Someone came up with a Dress Code for that event, and each of these leaders strictly adhered to it.

So should cruisers.

The media made a big thing out of the leaders not wearing ties as a sign they (the ties) are outdated. I disagree with the media as I enjoy wearing a jacket a tie when I go our for a nice dinner, but I find myself increasingly in the minority. So sometimes I drop the tie (only attracts gravy anyway) and just wear the jacket. I am still in the minority anyway!

22 minutes ago, commodoredave said:

The media made a big thing out of the leaders not wearing ties as a sign they (the ties) are outdated. I disagree with the media as I enjoy wearing a jacket a tie when I go our for a nice dinner, but I find myself increasingly in the minority. So sometimes I drop the tie (only attracts gravy anyway) and just wear the jacket. I am still in the minority anyway!

I applaud and respect you for dressing up for a nice dinner.  Not everyone does that these days; in fact, fewer and fewer do.

In my town, very few men wear ties for a dinner, unless at a club where it is required, but that's cause I live in a resort town.  But a blue blazer is almost a uniform requirement. 

I've always been a believer that it is better to be overdressed than underdressed for an event or dinner or party.  If overdressed, you can always "dress down" by taking off the tie, or the jacket, or rolling up sleeves or whatever.  But if you are underdressed, there's almost no way to upgrade your look.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, commodoredave said:

Six very important people. 

And Boris Johnson. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rothko1 said:

I applaud and respect you for dressing up for a nice dinner.  Not everyone does that these days; in fact, fewer and fewer do.

In my town, very few men wear ties for a dinner, unless at a club where it is required, but that's cause I live in a resort town.  But a blue blazer is almost a uniform requirement. 

I've always been a believer that it is better to be overdressed than underdressed for an event or dinner or party.  If overdressed, you can always "dress down" by taking off the tie, or the jacket, or rolling up sleeves or whatever.  But if you are underdressed, there's almost no way to upgrade your look.

Very true. I also wear a jacket even when I know I will likely be overdressed for some practical reasons such as more pockets to use for my reading glasses, cell phone, tissues, etc.!

• Like 1

Why not just take a jacket and wear it?  It seems so simple to me and yet there are sooooo many dress code threads.  No one has ever been told to go to their cabin to take OFF the jacket, so just enjoy the moments.

7 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Why not just take a jacket and wear it?  It seems so simple to me and yet there are sooooo many dress code threads.  No one has ever been told to go to their cabin to take OFF the jacket, so just enjoy the moments.

The only exception to this rule might be the hot tub. Otherwise I'm onside! 😂