Are men required to wear a jacket after 6pm all evenings in public spaces?

C-sea

I've been reading this thread for the last several days with one very simple question in mind:  Does my DH need to bring a suit along in addition to his navy blazer and tie, or will the blazer and tie be good enough for formal nights?  He'd rather not purchase a new suit, or take up the space in his suitcase, if it isn't necessary.

I've read the entire thread.  I've read everything I could find on the Silversea website.  I've read other SS dress code threads.

I still have no idea whether my DH needs to bring along a suit or not.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 2:43 PM, Fletcher said:
4 minutes ago, Damaris1900 said:

I've been reading this thread for the last several days with one very simple question in mind:  Does my DH need to bring a suit along in addition to his navy blazer and tie, or will the blazer and tie be good enough for formal nights?  He'd rather not purchase a new suit, or take up the space in his suitcase, if it isn't necessary.

I've read the entire thread.  I've read everything I could find on the Silversea website.  I've read other SS dress code threads.

Judging by what is happening with the dress code I would think he would be ok with just his toothbrush 

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Damaris1900 said:

Having just cruised on the Moon in July, I saw men with sports coats and ties on formal nights, so I think he would be OK. I actually saw men with jeans, sports coat and tie and nobody said anything. One formal night was in La Dame. On the Dawn in Nov. I am just bringing a dark sports coat, tie and dark matching slacks. Almost looks like a suit, but it is not. I will bet it will be OK. Also, if the dining room is overly warm, I will be the guy with my coat hanging over my chair!! That's my story and I am sticking to it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Damaris1900 said:

Its my understanding that technically suits are required on formal nights but you can get away with a blazer & tie.  I'll probably take a suit, fortunately for me pleats seem to be back in style so I'm all set.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Damaris1900 said:

I've read the entire thread.  I've read everything I could find on the Silversea website.  I still have no idea whether my DH needs to bring along a suit or not.

I think it's pretty clear if you dive into the website and find the obscure section on dress code. 

"Evening attire falls into three categories: casual, informal and formal… Appropriate formal evening wear for gentlemen [is to] wear tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits. Tie is required. On formal nights, guests may dine in La Terrazza and choose to dress informal; jackets for gentlemen (tie optional). This option also applies to Seishin and Stars on board Silver Spirit. Dining at The Grill is optional casual all nights."

So, strictly by the book: yes, it's quite clear he needs a tux or dark suit on formal nights, unless you choose to dine in La Terrazza, Seishin or The Grill (or have room service) on those formal nights.

BUT… based on what many cruisers report from onboard, if he is wearing a sport jacket and tie, he won't be sent away; I think a minority of passengers may feel he's not following the rules, and a majority passengers won't care at all.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

I'll bring a suit and two sport coats.  Do they have complimentary pressing on board?

Good morning, if you want to iron? There is an iron and ironing board inside the room where the washers/dryers are located on each deck. No charge to use those items.

As for sending it out and have the ship press something? I think they might be included in the "Higher End suites" but it is not complimentary for the regular suites.  Maybe someone can confirm about the category of suites that do get pressing at no extra charge.

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, if you want to iron? There is an iron and ironing board inside the room where the washers/dryers are located on each deck. No charge to use those items.

As for sending it out and have the ship press something? I think they might be included in the "Higher End suites" but it is not complimentary for the regular suites.  Maybe someone can confirm about the category of suites that do get pressing at no extra charge.

That would be helpful. For a cruise line that expects people to dress formal and travel with all those clothes it’s the least they could do.  I see why regent is more popular these days.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, cruiseej said:

So, strictly by the book: yes, it's quite clear he needs a tux or dark suit on formal nights, unless you choose to dine in La Terrazza, Seishin or The Grill (or have room service) on those formal nights.

BUT… based on what many cruisers report from onboard, if he is wearing a sport jacket and tie, he won't be sent away; I think a minority of passengers may feel he's not following the rules, and a majority passengers won't care at all.

Sounds as though a dark suit is a safer bet, then.  We'll see how he feels when the time comes for packing.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain.

2 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

That would be helpful. For a cruise line that expects people to dress formal and travel with all those clothes it’s the least they could do.  I see why regent is more popular these days.  

I have 65 days on Regent and have enjoyed the cruises. Currently, I am going with SS instead of Regent. On both lines, I only like the newer larger ships. When I price out RSSC vs SS and, importantly, comparing the same size cabin and the Bus class air, SS wins out with a lower price every time. Sometimes by a lot. When RSSC is similar in price, I will go back.

44 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I have 65 days on Regent and have enjoyed the cruises. Currently, I am going with SS instead of Regent. On both lines, I only like the newer larger ships. When I price out RSSC vs SS and, importantly, comparing the same size cabin and the Bus class air, SS wins out with a lower price every time. Sometimes by a lot. When RSSC is similar in price, I will go back.

Correct.  The 2024 cruises I researched Regent was $250-500 more expensive per night vs SS & SB.  This is for comparable cabins backing out the airfare for Regent & SS and adding excursions for SB.  Oceania was actually about the same price as SS & SB.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Correct.  The 2024 cruises I researched Regent was $250-500 more expensive per night vs SS & SB.  This is for comparable cabins backing out the airfare for Regent & SS and adding excursions for SB.  Oceania was actually about the same price as SS & SB.

A friend just got back from a Viking Sea cruise and was very happy. From his discussion, Viking didn't seem as upscale as SS. Curious me, I thought I would check it out using similar size veranda suites. Without Bus Air, Viking was slightly less. When I added in Bus Air on both lines, Viking was more expensive. I think I will stay for now with SS and sit/lie down in the front of the plane.

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I noticed that for 2024-5 that is the case.  It is why I am trying out SS on a Norway cruise in May/June.   I have some good prices on my current RSSC cruises.  On the 24/25 Capetown 15 N apples to apples with business class air I can book a silver suite on SSpirit for about the same as a PH on RSSC splendor.  So if the May cruise on the Dawn proves wonderful, I may switch over to SS.

4 hours ago, Damaris1900 said:

Sounds as though a dark suit is a safer bet, then.  We'll see how he feels when the time comes for packing.  Thanks to everyone who took the time to explain.

4 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Dark suit or nice dark blazer, tie and dress pants equally safe bets but the blazer is more versatile.

Or, a dark suit plus a pair of lighter color dress pants – gives the same versatility as the suit jacket looks like a blazer with contrasting pants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Or, a dark suit plus a pair of lighter color dress pants – gives the same versatility as the suit jacket looks like a blazer with contrasting pants.

I’m not sure you can reason with those who say they will follow the rules, Jazz, but yet do everything in their power to waste everyone else’s time to whine and complain about said rules.  I’ve even seen those who said they’d follow the rules change their tune in the last few weeks if they are to become a wee bit warm in a dining venue. 😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I’m not sure you can reason with those who say they will follow the rules, Jazz, but yet do everything in their power to waste everyone else’s time to whine and complain about said rules.  I’ve even seen those who said they’d follow the rules change their tune in the last few weeks if they are to become a wee bit warm in a dining venue. 😁

I outlined the approach I'm planning to take – but my silk sport coat travels much better than my wool suit – so I'm in the camp that would really prefer that SS relax the dress code before my Jan. 2024 New Zealand/Australia cruise [neither country being known for its strict approach to restaurant attire].  OTOH the long flights will require Business Class, so bringing lots of luggage isn't an issue...

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 12:37 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

Nice effort but sounds borderline draconian, not to mention awkward when one arrives for a reservation.  What if their attire doesn’t confirm 100% to the signage…I guess they have to turn around and go change? Order room service?  Not a luxury experience.  It just becomes silly.

Though every night the Chronicles are delivered to your suite and go through the next day's activities. At the top of the first page is the dress code for that day set out. So no one should arrive at a restaurant they booked without knowing the dress code.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

Though every night the Chronicles are delivered to your suite and go through the next day's activities. At the top of the first page is the dress code for that day set out. So no one should arrive at a restaurant they booked without knowing the dress code.

I was referring to the signage  idea that someone suggested.

6 hours ago, drron29 said:

They all know it but choose to go with their interpretation of the dress code.

• Like 2

I find it interesting that regarding the dress codes, it is almost always about what the guys can or can't wear. Jacket or no jacket. Tie or no tie. Suit vs. sport coat and slacks. It seems like the ladies almost get a free pass on dress codes. Sometimes it is just tough being a guy!! OK, now flame me for having an opinion.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, A Tucson Guy said:

I find it interesting that regarding the dress codes, it is almost always about what the guys can or can't wear. Jacket or no jacket. Tie or no tie. Suit vs. sport coat and slacks. It seems like the ladies almost get a free pass on dress codes. Sometimes it is just tough being a guy!! OK, now flame me for having an opinion.

You and my hubby are on the same page here. He has had to wear a suit and tie for the vast majority of his working life and feels that we women should not be allowed to get away with (in his words) floaty blouses and dresses when he is being strangled by a tie 😂😂😂

• Like 1