Pre-cruise COVID Testing Coming to an End

HuliHuli

Hallelujah!   We sail Aug 14 from Southampton and not having the stress of testing before we board will be so nice.  When I saw P and O, and Holland do trial runs with no testing for vaccinated passengers, I knew the end was probably near for European cruising.   🥳🥳🥳🥳

• Like 1

Just now, MagnoliaBlossom said:

Hallelujah!   We sail Aug 14 from Southampton and not having the stress of testing before we board will be so nice.  When I saw P and O, and Holland do trial runs with no testing for vaccinated passengers, I knew the end was probably near for European cruising.   🥳🥳🥳🥳

Hopefully MSC follows soon!  Leaving Venice in October.

6 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I think it’s pretty clear from the NCLH press release that the local government requires the testing. 

Except Greece does not require vaccination or testing. 

• Entry Restrictions to Greece Relaxed: As of May 1, 2022, travelers entering Greece are no longer required to display a certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection.
  • https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

• Entry Restrictions to Greece Relaxed: As of May 1, 2022, travelers entering Greece are no longer required to display a certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection.

Exactly why I was asking why the exceptions with Athens departures.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Cruise-mom said:

We sail from Barcelona on July 31st..1 day difference! €200 for tests that aren't needed for others embarking on the same cruise in Rome 2 days later 😣

We sail 7/31 from Trieste! It's 100 euro just for my sons PCR test then 5 of us who need rapid tests 😞

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Exactly why I was asking why the exceptions with Athens departures.

I actually thought it may have to do with one of the ports, but it looks like Jade Athens departures visit Israel and Turkey and neither of those require testing or vaccination either. What is your exact itinerary? I can check to see if it's a port requirement. 

Isreal

Effective May 21, 2022, Israel is officially discontinuing all entry requirements, including the requirement for foreign tourists to show proof of vaccination. A passenger locator form is still in effect, but Israel had a version of this form pre-pandemic as well.

Turkey

New entry as of June 1, 2022

Turkey has removed all their covid-related entry requirements effective June 1, 2022. Masks are also removed in all public indoor places, including public transit, but will stay in place for hospitals.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

I actually thought it may have to do with one of the ports, but it looks like Jade Athens departures visit Israel and Turkey and neither of those require testing or vaccination either. What is your exact itinerary? I can check to see if it's a port requirement. 

Plus all the cruise lines seem to have this despite having different itineraries.

11 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Has to be something government related. It's not like NCL would intentionally make the rules different for one country in Europe.

Just now, PUNKT2 said:

Has to be something government related. It's not like NCL would intentionally make the rules different for one country in Europe.

Certainly possible. It's also possible that NCL is not keeping up with the changes. The situation is still quite fluid.

I suspect it may have something to do with one of the ports requirements that Jade is visiting, but I can't find any confirmation. I noticed one of the Athens departures stops in Italy, but Italy is also wide open right now (no vaccination or testing required). 

I think you will see lines moving from CDC Sail Safe requirements to port of call mandated requirements.  The Sail Safe program is voluntary so they can move away anytime they want.  From an optics standpoint the transition will be gradual and the lines will do it in lockstep with each other.  All eyeballs are on the trial runs from Carnival and RCL.

Our government institutions move slow, but the cruise lines are running out of time and money.

18 minutes ago, PUNKT2 said:

I agree.  This is what the NCLH press release says: "The pre-embarkation testing requirement will remain in place for guests currently traveling on voyages departing from destinations with local testing regulations, including but not limited to the U.S., Canada, Greece and Bermuda." 

So, at least as of today, NCLH believes there is some local regulation applicable to Greece cruises that requires them to continue pre-cruise testing.    (And note that Bermuda is on the list, too.  And we know that Bermuda still does require pre-cruise testing before arrivals.)

4 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Covid has not gone away.  It is spiking in many places now. 

Well I will definitely not be cruising on Norwegian.  Don’t want to sail around in a Petri dish 

It is only a matter of time before testing is dropped on all lines.  Keep in mind that there is no testing for airline travel, at Disney, or at all inclusive resorts.  The whole world is a petri dish right now.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Well I will definitely not be cruising on Norwegian.  Don’t want to sail around in a Petri dish 

You probably have a few more months of testing on some lines, but I doubt it'll last much longer than that, and I doubt vaccines will be required past this year. At least that gives you some time to adjust.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Great!  One more available deck chair.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crazy planning mom said:

It is only a matter of time before testing is dropped on all lines.  Keep in mind that there is no testing for airline travel, at Disney, or at all inclusive resorts.  The whole world is a petri dish right now.

This post wins the internet for the day 🙂

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

It is confusing.   Have we seen a US requirement for testing? 

If I am not mistaken, it is now a CDC recommendation, not a requirement. The cruise lines have just been following the recommendations as if they were requirements.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, shof515 said:

For the Canada cruises, Canada does not require any covid testing to enter the country. they got rid of the testing requirements a few months ago.

Apples and Oranges.  In Canada, there are 11 people per square mile of land.  On a cruise ship , space between people is much much much much less 

14 hours ago, shof515 said:

For the Canada cruises, Canada does not require any covid testing to enter the country. they got rid of the testing requirements a few months ago. Why is NCL still requiring it? 

Canada still requires pre-departure testing for cruise ships that start from, visit, or terminate in a Canadian port. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

• Thanks 1