Toddler on Celebrity Beyond

bravesfan19

We have a cruise credit that has to be used by the end of this year on a Celebrity Cruise from a previous canceled cruise. I've been on 28 cruises but none on Celebrity. This will also be our 1st cruise with a child. My wife & I will be cruising with our 3.5 year old son. My question is about the Children Activities on Celebrity Cruises, specifically the Beyond. Are there plenty of things for a very active toddler boy to do? I don't think this ship, is really made for Children. Will he get bored, or have plenty to do in the kids club & events? 

Edited by bravesfan19

1 hour ago, bravesfan19 said:

We have a cruise credit that has to be used by the end of this year on a Celebrity Cruise from a previous canceled cruise. I've been on 28 cruises but none on Celebrity. This will also be our 1st cruise with a child. My wife & I will be cruising with our 3.5 year old son. My question is about the Children Activities on Celebrity Cruises, specifically the Beyond. Are there plenty of things for a very active toddler boy to do? I don't think this ship, is really made for Children. Will he get bored, or have plenty to do in the kids club & events? 

When are yiu sailing? If it is during the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays there might be more children on the ship.

1 hour ago, WestLakeGirl said:

It will depend in part if there are any other kids on board, which is unpredictable.  They do have a Club which children seem to enjoy but he might be the only one there

He's an only child, so he's use to playing by himself & really hasn't been around many children his age. He just needs something to entertain himself with. 

My opinion is you would do better on a Royal Caribbean ship. More kids, more kid friendly things to do, etc.  We just traveled with a 6 year old on Independence of the Seas and he loved it.  As I said, Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

My opinion is you would do better on a Royal Caribbean ship. More kids, more kid friendly things to do, etc.  We just traveled with a 6 year old on Independence of the Seas and he loved it.  As I said, Just my opinion. 

Are you suggesting that OP can use a Celebrity FCC on a RCL cruise?

1 minute ago, bravesfan19 said:

I’ve definitely already checked on this & it’s not an option. All Celebrity credits must be used on Celebrity Cruises. 

I didn't think so. That's why I was scratching my head at that response.

The potty training is probably the issue, not the cruise line. It limits opportunities (like the pools), regardless of cruise line. 

There are always children on Celebrity cruises. Not as many as Royal Caribbean, but I'm doubting he'll be the only child on the ship. And their children's program usually gets rave reviews around here.

32 minutes ago, markeb said:

The potty training is probably the issue, not the cruise line. It limits opportunities (like the pools), regardless of cruise line. 

There are always children on Celebrity cruises. Not as many as Royal Caribbean, but I'm doubting he'll be the only child on the ship. And their children's program usually gets rave reviews around here.

We definitely hope his potty trained by December, but it’s unlikely. He has been a late bloomer reaching every milestone in life due to health issues. The good news is he’s medically cleared now to travel & get out in the world. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bravesfan19 said:

unfortunately he is not potty trained, but we have no problem staying with him the entire time if that's an option? 

Just an FYI…..if he isn’t potty trained he won’t be able to use the pool if that’s something you wanted to do with him. Swim diapers are not allowed either. Wanted to let you know if you already didn’t and if you did then you can disregard this 😂

• Like 1

I am not a parent..so my opinion may not be valid.. When I was young, my parents took us to Europe.. this was back in the 50s and 60s... there was no organized activities for kids..but we still had fun. I was probably 6 and my sister 3. I have distinct memories of driving in the Alps looking down at sheer drops off the side of the road of hundreds of feet and small villages in Germany. One memory in particular of watching a thunderstorm's lightening around a ruined castle on the Mosell river and screaming with delight at each strike. Remember kids often have more fun playing with the boxes the toys come in than the toy itself. The question is. how much fun will you have? You may not have much time alone. So you need to check with Celebrity to see if they have any baby sitting options..so you can go to dinner alone a few times. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bravesfan19 said:

According to their official website one of the kids programs is Camp at Sea, and looks like the youngest set is the 3 - 5 age bracket.  It is called shipmates and must be fully potty trained.  Here is the link to the kids programs Camp at Sea: Cruise Kids Club & Teens Club | Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity has a fantastic kids program, your son will have a blast. We too enjoy traveling the world with our children, and a cruise ship makes it really easy to do so. Our kids are teens now, and Celebrity is their favorite cruise line.

For your own sake, it will be a much much better experience for everyone if he is potty trained and can stay with the other toddlers for a few hours. 

Pro tip from a mom who’s youngest also had medical issues: you can potty train a 3 1/2 year old in a weekend. Roll up your rugs, and take the kid’s pants off. No diapers, no underwear, nothing. They won’t just go, they look for a corner or some out of the way spot to go. You need to be watching the whole time, and when you sense they need to go, put them on the potty. Repeat all weekend, praising lavishly any success. Reward success with m&ms. One m&m for a pee in the potty, six m&ms for a poo. He’ll catch on really quickly lol. 

• Like 7

On the Edge class, they have two areas in the kids club - one is for babies/young toddlers that aren't potty trained that you can come and play in with your child. They have books/slides/toys/etc there, it is a pretty nice play space. The other area is for the 3 and up where you are able to leave the kids. We scoped out the area on our childless trips on the Edge and Apex. 

We have 3.5 year old twins that we are bringing on the Beyond Transatlantic in Oct - happy to let you know how it goes. This will be our 3rd cruise with the kids, their second on Celebrity. When they were one and we were on the Equinox, we brought a small blow up pool with us that we would put on the lawn and the crew would help us fill it up so the kids could play. This was a good alternative to the pool since they weren't potty trained at the time. 

If you are able to potty train by Dec, they will love the pool area 100% and will have a blast in the kids program. 

Edited by Stricks08
  • Like 1

One thing we have often noticed (when looking for little gifts to take home) is cruise ships and most ports of call do not have anything for children stocked.

When our son was young we traveled with lots of small toys and things like sticker books. Whilst he helped me pack a few favourites in his backpack I would also have a few extra items in the suitcase to add a bit of novelty during the cruise. Sticker/activity books are light to carry and are great to entertain a small child at the dining table when they have had enough to eat and you would like to finish your meal in a more leisurely fashion!

• Like 1

Go on the cruise with your child and enjoy. It takes very little to entertain a 3-4 year old. We just took our 16-year-old on a Mediterranean cruise on the reflection and I went through all the same worries that you did. The crew was amazing with her. She didn’t really participate that much at the camp at Sea program but she did some things and even just dancing around to the music in board was fun for her. For you, when children are that young they don’t necessarily need other kids on board to be entertained. As for Royal Caribbean, I find it hard to believe that a child that young would be participating in the huge waterslides and climbing walls that they have on board. It is your vacation, too. That said, i’m a strong believer in mom and dad getting away by themselves occasionally. If you have someone to stay with them then great. If not, bring them along and have the time of your life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, law chick said:

Celebrity has a fantastic kids program, your son will have a blast. We too enjoy traveling the world with our children, and a cruise ship makes it really easy to do so. Our kids are teens now, and Celebrity is their favorite cruise line.

For your own sake, it will be a much much better experience for everyone if he is potty trained and can stay with the other toddlers for a few hours. 

Pro tip from a mom who’s youngest also had medical issues: you can potty train a 3 1/2 year old in a weekend. Roll up your rugs, and take the kid’s pants off. No diapers, no underwear, nothing. They won’t just go, they look for a corner or some out of the way spot to go. You need to be watching the whole time, and when you sense they need to go, put them on the potty. Repeat all weekend, praising lavishly any success. Reward success with m&ms. One m&m for a pee in the potty, six m&ms for a poo. He’ll catch on really quickly lol. 

Also, turn on the water faucet in the sink when you put the child on the potty.  The sound of water is a great inducement to peeing--for kids and adults!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

Go on the cruise with your child and enjoy. It takes very little to entertain a 3-4 year old. We just took our 16-year-old on a Mediterranean cruise on the reflection and I went through all the same worries that you did. The crew was amazing with her. She didn’t really participate that much at the camp at Sea program but she did some things and even just dancing around to the music in board was fun for her. For you, when children are that young they don’t necessarily need other kids on board to be entertained. As for Royal Caribbean, I find it hard to believe that a child that young would be participating in the huge waterslides and climbing walls that they have on board. It is your vacation, too. That said, i’m a strong believer in mom and dad getting away by themselves occasionally. If you have someone to stay with them then great. If not, bring them along and have the time of your life.

Surely that should have said 16 month?

• Haha 2