Lost Bags on Arrival at Vancouver Airport

Plato123

Are they lost? Or are they delayed, which is a common occurrence in most of the major international airports  around the world this summer?

I hope you were able to file a report at the airport, and have all of your essentials in your carryon. 

Edited by mom says

Our luggage was delayed.  Not sure if they use the term lost immediately or if they wait a few days?? We flew

into Vancouver on May 3rd for a cruise leaving on May 4th. Our luggage did make our connecting flight from Calgary to Vancouver. We were told it would be on the next flight so we stayed at the airport and waited for the next flight. No luggage. There was one more flight arriving around midnight. We requested/insisted that we receive a call to let us know if our luggage was on the flight. They called around 1am to let us know our luggage did arrive. Too late for a courier that night and they could  not guarantee a courier would get it to us in time to board the cruise. We were staying near the port so we took a cab back in the morning and picked up our luggage. So for us a happy ending. It seems Ike things have gotten so much worse. I do hope you get your luggage in time!

• Thanks 2

No, not the case.  We were first class on Delta and my wife's bag was delayed.  Could be the guys in Atlanta were holding back luggage from Canadians knowing we were headed home and would have clothes there.  

• Like 1

Nothing nefarious. Baggage handling has always been a very complex system fraught with error. Toss in numerous last minute cancellations, delays, and a general lack of sufficient labour. It's almost a surprise that most luggage actually gets delivered in a timely manner.

• Haha 1

No issue from cruise on July 3'rd

But ....damaged luggage either from Toronto or Vancouver transfers

Made a few emails and prompt positive results from air canada

Vancouver was good Toronto was......a nightmare with missing suit cases/delays/cancelled flights

And staff issues for some people

Not cruise related, but I flew out of Pearson on Monday to Nairobi via Frankfurt. 2 baggage conveyor belts were down, and they were moving baggage by carts, first sorting it by flight. We departed almost 3 hours latr. 

Good news is that I had almost 5 hours (originally) to make my connection which I will do easily. And, according to my air tag, my checked bag is here in Frankfurt. 

We returned this week after a YVR-YUL and return flight with no issues. That said, upon arrival at YUL baggage area, it was chaos with luggage piled up behind partitions etc. We were very thankful that within 40 mins of arrival at baggage area our luggage arrived.  We think having AC Priority luggage tags may have helped but can't be certain. In YVR no such problems. All of our flights were delayed with AC and once we landed at YUL we waited on the tarmac for an open gate for one hour - many passengers missed their connections. AC are having operational issues we were told by an AC employee as most young employees who were laid off never returned so they are short of staff in all positions. If you planning a trip the one suggestion we can make is arrive early e.g., we arrived 4 hours prior to flight at YUL with no issues. 

We had this happen when we flew to Europe for a cruise.  Nice thing was we went a few days early, so our insurance covered a few thousand dollars and we went on a shopping spree and bought all new stuff.  And then our original luggage showed up in time for the cruise, so we had double!

• Like 1