upgrade offer

ewildcat7

We are leaving on Sunday for our northbound cruise to Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam.  A few weeks ago we got an offer to upgrade our verandah to a signature suite, which we did, costing around $600 for both of us.  Today we got an offer to upgrade again to a Neptune suite for $400 for both of us.  We have also reserved one of the Lido cabanas, so I am a little leery of spending more money when we may not spend much time in the suite.

I know my wife is going to want to do it, but I am not sure.  I need some advice/opinion on whether we should do it.   Help me decide!

Edited by ewildcat7

I wouldn't do the Lido cabanas...too loud and busy around the area. Only the retreat cabanas. JMHO.

Not sure how long that offer to upgrade will be available to you. It may be expired already. We only sail in Neptunes, so its a no brainer to us. But that is just us.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ewildcat7 said:

I should have mentioned that we have a 7-year old, so we are thinking that the cabana will be a nice place for us while she is at the pool.

Oh yes, that makes a difference!!  I don’t think I’d take the Neptune upsell then. 

Edited by canadianbear

$400 for 2 people (three in your case) is a good value IMO, for going from a Signature to a Neptune.  Do your homework before calling on it though, so you know which cabin you would pick and ask for that.  SOme people like Aft-wraft Neptunes for Alaska, due to the scenery.

7 minutes ago, jlynchtx said:

I am the same cruise and have never received an upgrade offer. I wonder how you receive these upgrade offers? 

It depends on how/who you booked with.  If you booked direct with HAL you will get an email from HAL about 2-4 weeks prior to sailing.  If booked with a TA, the TA will contact you, but be aware that not all TAs bother to do this, so best to contact your TA and ask what their policy is on upsell offers.

Whether or not you get an upgrade or upsell offer depends on what category you are currently booked in, what category(s) they have available,  and what demand and bookings in the categories below your current booking. It doesn't matter who you booked with.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

Whether or not you get an upgrade or upsell offer depends on what category you are currently booked in, what category(s) they have available,  and what demand and bookings in the categories below your current booking. It doesn't matter who you booked with.

Yes, if nothing is available you won’t get an upsell 😛. It does matter who you book thru.  If there is a middle person it’s going to slow things down.

I rarely want an upsell but last cruise I did.  I gave my agent the phone number and while she talked to them I texted my response. I not only got an offer I was able to further negotiate a slightly lower price and better position.   

usually they contact the agent and she contacts me.  Rarely do I take an upsell as I usually choose the cabin I want initially and the upsell offers aren’t all that compelling.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

It depends on how/who you booked with.  If you booked direct with HAL you will get an email from HAL about 2-4 weeks prior to sailing.  If booked with a TA, the TA will contact you, but be aware that not all TAs bother to do this, so best to contact your TA and ask what their policy is on upsell offers.

I booked with a Holland America cruise consultant (or whatever they are called). So I guess that would be the same as booking directly with HA?

8 hours ago, jlynchtx said:

I booked with a Holland America cruise consultant (or whatever they are called). So I guess that would be the same as booking directly with HA?

You should have received an email from them about upsells (of course this depends on what category you are booked in and the availability of higher ranked cabins).  Also, be sure to check your Spam folder in case the notice goes to it.  And, the notice sometimes goes to only one person on the booking (last time I got it and my DW was primary - go figure!). 

We just returned from our cruise on the Westerdam (7/3-7/10). I booked an aft balcony a couple of months before the sailing. About 2 weeks before, I received an email for a chance to upgrade to a Signature  suite for $199pp or Neptune suite for $300pp..I decided to keep our aft balcony. Then about a week out, I received another offer for Signature suite for $99pp or Neptune for $199pp..I ended up taking the Signature suite for $198 total. I figured that the Neptune was just more space than we needed. When I called, there were over 25 Signiture suites to pick from. I booked directly online with Holland America. 

• Like 3