What to do in Maui when docking in the port

Packman1000

Any ideas on what we can do in Maui for about a half day?  Can we find a tour at the port that is reliable?  Are there tour companies that would pick us up at the port and do an island tour?  We don't want to do any ship excursion and also don't particularly want to rent a car.  Are there any beaches that are close enough to walk to or a short taxi ride?

Thanks

The best beaches on Maui are in West Maui and South Maui, that is why they developed the hotels/resorts there. But there a slew of beaches/beach parks in between the cruise port and Paia, which is about 6 miles away. The nearest beach is maybe a mile or so walking, but not a great beach.

Paia is a cute little town with a few shops, restaurants and beach parks.

A half day really limits what you can do, that means no road to Hana, no Haleakala (probably) and no snorkel tour, although you might be able to do a whale tour the right time of year.

OK, some research is required. First, where are you coming ashore. This is important as there are two possibilities on Maui...docking at Kahalui,  or tendering at Lahaina. 

As mentioned,  the best beaches are south (which works OK for Kahalui)and west Maui, which works well for Lahaina. 

There are a few tour vendors mentioned here frequently that are quite reliable,  and will pick you up at the dock.

But first, have you looked around the board? What port are you coming ashore at?

• Like 1

There are beaches a short taxi ride away from both Lahaina and Kahalui. 

Lahania = Kaanapali beach. Have the cab drop you off at whalers village

Kahalui= Kanaha beach is very close. It's a wind surf beach and sometimes too rough for swimming, but it's beautiful and extremely close, or any of the beaches on the south side (Kam 1, 2, or 3). Best to stay away from Makena if you want to swim (broke neck beach).

1 hour ago, Packman1000 said:

We are docking at Kahalui.  I will look into Kanaha beach.  I'll also try to search for tour vendors, but I have to admit that the search function on these boards is not very helpful.  I'll keep trying.

You are about a 45 min ride to Whalers Village or about a 35 min drive to Wailea. Personally I think there is more for a day visitor on Kaanapali Beach/Whalers Village. Uber from the pier will be about $70 each way. Easy to do on your own-- just pad your time a little bit getting back. 

If the ship offers or adds a "beach day" sort of excursion that provides transportation to either place its a no brainer to do that and not worry about getting back. 

If you are looking to spend 4 hours skip the west side entirely. It's just under hour drive each way during and if anything happens on the Pali Hwy (even someone with a flat tire), you can easily double that time frame since there is only one safe road to move from Kahalui to Lahaina. Those only in Maui for a day are taking their chances heading to the west side unless on a ship sponsored tour.

I'm going to throw out another idea that isn't a beach day. How about Maa'laea Harbor? The Ocean Center aquarium is excellent and they have a fantastic 3D whale movie (it's short but REALLY good). They also have excellent Mai Tai happy hour ;-). In the harbor area you will find several restaurants, shops, and really good ice cream place. Tantes also has a decent happy hour. Between walking around the ocean center and just watching the boats come in and out of the harbor I could easily spend 4 hours at a nice leisurely pace.  You can grab a uber or if you are motivated walk to the bus stop and head there for $2 ($1 if over 55). The Maui bus has a very good on-time record Just sit in the front.

They have really cleaned up Kanaha Beach. A few years ago it was quite sketchy for tourists due to the homeless population, but it was great all winter. Super popular for wind surfing. You can join in a volleyball game too if that's happening. Don't get this beach confused with Kahana (which is on the west side). :).

https://mauioceancenter.com/

https://maalaea.com/harbor-map/

• Like 2