Amsterdam to Rotterdam

19 hours ago, luvn2cruzzz said:

Has anyone taken a car service from Schiphol Airport to Rotterdam?  

No, I am very sorry, but maybe someone else gives you the perfect answer.

If you have to go from Schiphol to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam: Railway station at schiphol: train takes 36 minutes (few € extra for IC train) 1 minute walk to Metro Station Quay 3 and take metro D direction De Akkers .  6 minutes metro (3 stops...) to Metrostation Wilhelminaplein. 8 minutes walk to Cruise terminal.    Elevators etc in metrostation available.

6 hours ago, MAVIP said:

No, I am very sorry, but maybe someone else gives you the perfect answer.

If you have to go from Schiphol to the cruise terminal in Rotterdam: Railway station at schiphol: train takes 36 minutes (few € extra for IC train) 1 minute walk to Metro Station Quay 3 and take metro D direction De Akkers .  6 minutes metro (3 stops...) to Metrostation Wilhelminaplein. 8 minutes walk to Cruise terminal.    Elevators etc in metrostation available.

Or take a taxi from Rotterdam train station. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/19/2022 at 11:48 AM, luvn2cruzzz said:

Unfortunately, a train is not a possibility but thanks anyway.

When ever I hear train they must think we are traveling with no luggage. We did the train in Milan to Lake Como and I thought it would be like the airline and they would check your bags, WRONG it was a nightmare with 5 bags. We then had a train from Milan to Venice t catch a two-week cruise did not want to take the train again and could not get flights so I hired a car to take us because of the luggage it cost me 700euros lesson learned. The train does not work with luggage/

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

When ever I hear train they must think we are traveling with no luggage. We did the train in Milan to Lake Como and I thought it would be like the airline and they would check your bags, WRONG it was a nightmare with 5 bags. We then had a train from Milan to Venice t catch a two-week cruise did not want to take the train again and could not get flights so I hired a car to take us because of the luggage it cost me 700euros lesson learned. The train does not work with luggage/

I generally travel alone, with one medium (24-25”) suitcase and a backpack. I am then quite flexible, and prefer public transit. I try to avoid cabs or car services due to the cost. For me, I can live with carrying less. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

When ever I hear train they must think we are traveling with no luggage. We did the train in Milan to Lake Como and I thought it would be like the airline and they would check your bags, WRONG it was a nightmare with 5 bags.

I’m sorry you had a difficult time, but I hope the rest of your trip made up for it.

Your unfortunate experience is a good reminder of the dangers of assumptions. In your case, as to how things work in unfamiliar circumstances. But also for those of us who advocate train travel in Europe not to assume that people know and to include caveats such as “if you can manage your luggage”. I know on this board links to videos that help people see for themselves have occasionally been posted.  

Travelling by train is perfectly possible with luggage, of course, but within limits, and taking account of the service and time of day.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

The train does not work with luggage

I’m sorry, but this is too much of a generalization. I live quite close to the train station and the train is my preferred option to go to the airport. I’ve done this journey without issues when I only hand luggage only, but also several times when I had 2 large suitcases, plus a hand luggage sized trolley plus a backpack. That may not worked for everyone, but it definitely worked for me. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

13 hours ago, southernbreezes said:

We did the train in Milan to Lake Como and I thought it would be like the airline and they would check your bags, WRONG it was a nightmare with 5 bags. ... The train does not work with luggage/

Your unfortunate experience is a good reminder of the dangers of assumptions. In your case, as to how things work in unfamiliar circumstances.

Milan to Lake Como is basically on a commuter train that takes about three-quarters of an hour. By any standard, an assumption that the train would offer baggage checking required a immense stretch of the imagination, or the watching of too many romantic historical movies.

Taking the train, as millions of travellers do (whether alone or in conjunction with air travel), is perfectly feasible with luggage - otherwise people wouldn't do it. As a generalisation, if you're fit and healthy but you can't manage your luggage onto and off a train, you've actually just got too much luggage.

31 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Milan to Lake Como is basically on a commuter train that takes about three-quarters of an hour. By any standard, an assumption that the train would offer baggage checking required a immense stretch of the imagination, or the watching of too many romantic historical movies.

Taking the train, as millions of travellers do (whether alone or in conjunction with air travel), is perfectly feasible with luggage - otherwise people wouldn't do it. As a generalisation, if you're fit and healthy but you can't manage your luggage onto and off a train, you've actually just got too much luggage.

I had Lake  Como on the brain we stayed in and took the train to Bellagio about 2.5 hours. Most passengers 90% had 1 carry on and a back pack. Would love to see you take 5 bags on all at once and have it close to you so you can keep a eye on your expensive things. I am very fit but my wife is tiny and no help with 150 pounds of luggage plus her carry on. But... She was the best dressed women in Italy and on our cruise. For a day trip which we did to Lake Como the train was great and fast.

1 hour ago, southernbreezes said:

I had Lake  Como on the brain we stayed in and took the train to Bellagio about 2.5 hours. Most passengers 90% had 1 carry on and a back pack. Would love to see you take 5 bags on all at once and have it close to you so you can keep a eye on your expensive things. I am very fit but my wife is tiny and no help with 150 pounds of luggage plus her carry on. But... She was the best dressed women in Italy and on our cruise. For a day trip which we did to Lake Como the train was great and fast.

If 150 pounds of luggage and your wife being the best dressed woman on the cruise is important to you, then obviously the train is not for you.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:01 AM, Globaliser said:

Don't hold your breath. When I travel, I'm travelling.

Taking 150 pounds of luggage plus a carry-on is not travelling. It's moving house.

We traveled 28,000 miles so far this year. My house is still in Jupiter.

We have lots of formal events to attend.

Edited by southernbreezes
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, southernbreezes said:

We traveled 28,000 miles so far this year. My house is still in Jupiter.

We have lots of formal events to attend.

Yet you had no idea how boarding a train would work with all of your luggage. I guess we all make travel mistakes despite how well travelled we are.

I am sorry you had to spend 700 Euros instead of around 40-60 Euros, but you probably made an Italian cab driver's day. :classic_happy:

1 hour ago, FreestyleNovice said:

Yet you had no idea how boarding a train would work with all of your luggage. I guess we all make travel mistakes despite how well travelled we are.

I am sorry you had to spend 700 Euros instead of around 40-60 Euros, but you probably made an Italian cab driver's day. :classic_happy:

Never taken a train other than a computer train. Here at home, I took Amtrack 2 twice a week back and forth to work.  I got the idea for taken the train on this board (loved the idea) not even thinking about all our luggage because of all the formal events we attend. Bad idea. Lesson learned. Would have worked fine maybe if we dressed like some.
Edited by southernbreezes
  • Like 1