Westerdam Problem??? is this true

Kelownabccan

If your sailing is delayed, consider the time as an opportunity (lemonade). When we were on the HAL ship in San diego and our cruise was delayed for 24 hours as failed seals on an azipod had to be replaced, the hotel operations on the ship were normal - the schedule was adjusted a bit and HAL provided free shuttle service to and from the downtown area throughout the period. It was a great way to leasurely see parts of San Diego we had never seen. If you have the extra time, Seattle is a GREAT place to spend it. Again, fingers crossed and enjoy your time on Westerdam.

• Like 3

Was that on the Oosterdam in December 2019?  We were held up for 24 hours and they had to cancel our port in Mazatlan.  If I remember correctly, they gave us 100 dollars OBC and returned port fees.  Really wanted to go to Mazatlan, but still had a great time (last cruise for us before Covid hit).

It’s 2:30 PDT and so far, no mentions of delays. FWIW, when we got to our cabin (aft) about 1pm, they had a ring of safety bouys around the back of the ship. About 1:30, we saw them pulling them away. 

B51ED327-5B52-421D-8219-C4D08F4EE31A.jpeg

34 minutes ago, jhubba said:

Was that on the Oosterdam in December 2019?  We were held up for 24 hours and they had to cancel our port in Mazatlan.  If I remember correctly, they gave us 100 dollars OBC and returned port fees.  Really wanted to go to Mazatlan, but still had a great time (last cruise for us before Covid hit).

We were on the Oosterdam in 2019 on the back to back (2 weeks) and yes, you are correct-we were given $100 OBC and missed Mazatlan. We actually love San Diego so didn’t mind the overnight there.  Was interesting seeing the divers too.  Same as us-was the last time we cruised before the pandemic hit.  I’m so glad we did the back to back and were in a Neptune suite so really enjoyed the cruise.  

Funny thing was that it rained that Sunday and we were told it was very unusual to have rain during that time.  We pretty much stayed on the ship as we were staying over a couple of days after embarkation and had great weather during that time.

7 minutes ago, jhubba said:

Funny thing was that it rained that Sunday and we were told it was very unusual to have rain during that time.  We pretty much stayed on the ship as we were staying over a couple of days after embarkation and had great weather during that time.

It was a miserable rainy day on Saturday but cleared up in the evening so we walked to Seaport Village.  Beautiful Christmas lights up plus the boats in the harbour were all decorated. 

41 minutes ago, Stevekscruiser said:

Thanks. Please keep us updated

It doesn’t feel like we are moving yet, and the scenery hasn’t moved. But I think we are backing straight up bc I can’t see the dock off aft anymore. Woo!

7E51C4A9-C83A-4A80-BC21-4C1741FF7A0A.jpeg

• Like 1

DH and I just disembarked the Westerdam and had a lovely cruise. We weren't at Meet the Captain but were told by several that it turned into an ugly mess. Personally I was on a cruise ship and on vacation so I was fine. I appreciated the $100.00 in onboard credit (it would have been even nicer if it had been refundable but I found plenty to spend it on). We didn't get as close to Hubbard Glacier as we have in the past and we got into Sitka a couple of hours late and the on-board time was the same. They told us that morning that HAL was flying in some experts for the azipod. We were told later that we'd leave at 6:00 and we pulled out right about that time. Yes we missed Ketchikan. In Victoria we stayed at anchorage and did not dock. They sent in staff with the customs forms and other paperwork by tender. We left Victoria just after 9:00 PM and made it to Seattle by early morning. We were told that the earlier we got there the earlier they could get the azipod worked on. I felt Captain Smit was very open and aboveboard with us and did a great job of keeping us updated. If you look at my signature you can see that this wasn't our first cruise and we were happy just to be on a ship and on vacation. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

On 7/16/2022 at 3:55 PM, ChitoFiggins said:

Do not pick this cruise line!!!! Out of 4 stops we made 2 beacuse of some

sort of engine damage. Still, while the engine damage did not prevent from stopping in Victoria, Canada, they chose not to allow the passangers to get off. The company policy makes no sense for the passangers. The cruise stayed 2 extra hours in Sitka, but the passengers were not allowed to stay off the boat. We are also arriving earlier than scheduled to Seattle, which is time the passangers could have used to get off in Victoria. But the mentality of the cruise line is to solve their issue at the expense of the customers experiencie. In the end we made 2 stops out of 4 and stayed the rest of the time at sea. In exchange we received a $100 credit for 2 missed stops. Really?? This is an embarassment.  Do not trust Holland America. 

By the way, the feeling among the great majority of the passengers is similar to what I have expressed.  For example, cruise director had to cancel a scheduled “meet the captain” activity after it had alteady begun when passengers started to ask sensible questions that the captain could not (or did not want to) answer regarding what they felt was misinformation and a complete disregard of their situation, creating an unwarranted angry passengers confrontation situation that could have been easily avoided.

Got off the ship today, felt exactly the same as ChitoFiggins. The unstopped rough cruise in the last two days caused both me and my younger one sea sick. The $100 onboard credit doesn't feel genuine apology from the cruise line. 

6 hours ago, wenzi said:

Got off the ship today, felt exactly the same as ChitoFiggins. The unstopped rough cruise in the last two days caused both me and my younger one sea sick. The $100 onboard credit doesn't feel genuine apology from the cruise line. 

Do you blame the individual airline when there is turbulence during a flight? It is the "motion of the ocean."

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

Do you blame the individual airline when there is turbulence during a flight? It is the "motion of the ocean."

It's easy for you to say that. I am glad you were not there and suffered. We have decided to not sail with HAL in the future. 

Wish everyone a happy sailing!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, wenzi said:

It's easy for you to say that. I am glad you were not there and suffered. We have decided to not sail with HAL in the future. 

I am nearly a 5 star mariner. We have been to Alaska 6 times. The seas been rough to the point where there were very few people outside their cabins at 8pm at night on 2 of those 6 cruises. But you may be correct. I am guessing the other cruise lines have ships that don't rock. 

Edited by Laminator
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

FYI - For anyone going on an Alaskan cruise that passes through the open sea north of Vancouver Island, regardless of the cruiseline you choose, the ocean can be VERY rough. We have traveled that route many times and always expect lots of movement and plan accordingly with lots of options available. Sorry to hear some on this thread apparently were not aware of this. Blame Mother Nature, not HAL. Sea sickness can be a real bummer.

• Like 2

It's situations like this that make the case to get travel insurance.  I go the extra step and get a policy that is cruise specific.  My previous cruise had an itinerary change (nothing missed just switched around).  My insurance policy paid out.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Euby said:

It's situations like this that make the case to get travel insurance.  I go the extra step and get a policy that is cruise specific.  My previous cruise had an itinerary change (nothing missed just switched around).  My insurance policy paid out.  

I use a policy like that through Nationwide. I like the cruise-specific coverage, on top of the medical.

On 7/18/2022 at 8:11 AM, wenzi said:

Curious how the cruise line is supposed to prevent rough seas.

We are on our 24th cruise. The roughest stretches of water we have ever experienced were the Tasman Sea, and the Straits of San Juan De Fuca, where you experienced roughness. The Straits were "throw you out of bed" rough for 3 to 4 hours. Both those cruises were on Princess, so maybe that is why we sail HAL ( that is sarcasm). Of course, as I write this, we are in pea soup fog...so I guess we will be looking for another cruise. Boy, if a cruise line can't make the weather sunny every day, the seas calm at all times, and guarantee absolutely zero mechanical issues, why sail them?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wenzi said:

Pardon me if didn't sound consoling. It just is silly to blame an individual cruise line for a product of nature. I am sure that the seas were not this rough which were what I would experience at times. This is the Coast Guard Coos Bay relieving my ship on Ocean Station in the Atlantic back in the 1970's.

1013922430_CoosBayinRoughSeas.thumb.jpg.8a28e91735a0d1d246cc8a840dcb47fe.jpg

• Like 3