Aug 10 Cruise Tour on Zuiderdam. Should I be worried?

Gistfamily

We are scheduled to fly into Anchorage on the 10th of Aug. I cannot find any cruises on the Zuiderdam after Aug 10th. I keep reading about HAL cancelling cruise tours at the last minute and I’m getting worried. Do I have a reason to be? Chris 

It looks like most of the Zuiderdam cruises are sold out. That’s why they don’t appear in the search results. Are you looking at the HAL website?  You can click on the “Sold Out” icon to check on this.

Edited by nooligans

17 minutes ago, Gistfamily said:

Yes we have 10 days land then board Zuiderdam at Skagway on the 20th thru the 24th.

Sounds like a Yukon cruise tour.  You’ll have a great time!  I’m pretty sure the issues have been addressed by now.  The Yukon cruise tours are probably sold out.  You may be on the last Yukon cruise tour.  We had hail/sleet in Dawson City on an August itinerary.  What a surprise that was!

Edited by oaktreerb

I am on a later cruise tour.  I think they decided to limit capacity hence they are sold out.  I just got a boarding time notice last night, not that it means much but shows it is still in the works 

• 2 weeks later...

@Gistfamily

Sorry this happened to you and sorry it took HAL so long to let you know.  They really don’t give you many options do they?   I really think HAL should let you know why it was cancelled.  Since it was a Yukon cruisetour I’m guessing it was logistics.  The White Pass railroad is not  functioning on a normal schedule and who knows what roadblocks existed with coordinating with Canada and airlines.

I hope you will get a chance to do this in a couple of years when the Denali road is fixed (2024?) and the Canadian border is open and the White Pass railway is back to normal.  And then there was the rockslide in Skagway to muck up the transfer to the ship.  What a mess!  With Covid in the air this is not the best year to be traveling on ships, busses, and trains anyway.   

I hope HAL has a reasonable offer for you for future travel.  

Edited by oaktreerb

5 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

Sorry this happened to you and sorry it took HAL so long to let you know.  They really don’t give you many options do they?   I really think HAL should let you know why it was cancelled.  Since it was a Yukon cruisetour I’m guessing it was logistics.  The White Pass railroad is not  functioning on a normal schedule and who knows what roadblocks existed with coordinating with Canada and airlines.

I hope you will get a chance to do this in a couple of years when the Denali road is fixed (2024?) and the Canadian border is open and the White Pass railway is back to normal.  With Covid in the air this is not the best year to be traveling on ships, busses, and trains anyway.   

I hope HAL has a reasonable offer for you for future travel.  

I just asked the question on the roll call.  I called this afternoon after her other thread and they said I needed to call ship services at 800-541-1576 to be assured my cruise was not canceled.  I am two weeks after hers.  It seems they are doing another wave of cancellations

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I just asked the question on the roll call.  I called this afternoon after her other thread and they said I needed to call ship services at 800-541-1576 to be assured my cruise was not canceled.  I am two weeks after hers.  It seems they are doing another wave of cancellations

Are you on a Yukon trip?

15 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Yes, the same itinerary except later in the month. 

It’s a wonderful itinerary in a normal environment.  I would be very concerned.  That connection in Skagway where they had the rockslide at the railroad dock may have been the final unsurmountable issue for HAL.  I don’t think it is fixed yet.  I hope you don’t get cancelled, too.

According to a poster on the HAL forum who was just in Skagway, the landslide is fixed.  The train still was working after the landslide, just not down to the dock.  White Pass Railroad is still not crossing over to Canada.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

It’s a wonderful itinerary in a normal environment.  I would be very concerned.  That connection in Skagway where they had the rockslide at the railroad dock may have been the final unsurmountable issue for HAL.  I don’t think it is fixed yet.  I hope you don’t get cancelled, too.

I just need to know in a timely way.  The cruise is secondary to other plans we have in conjunction and I need to make alternative arrangements.   I am getting tired of the cruise lines with all of their obstacles to travel anyway.  Cruising is fast becoming a trip from hell. If I could have gotten my car, ordered in January, I would have driven not cruised

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

I would be very concerned.  That connection in Skagway where they had the rockslide at the railroad dock may have been the final unsurmountable issue for HAL.  I don’t think it is fixed yet. 

HAL has been using the Broadway dock in Skagway. The rockslide was on the railroad docks. 

Still struggling with this Mary229. We are on Zuiderdam 8/17 for 3 days, then land tour for 10 days. Just got an email from HAL today and thought, "Oh no!", but they were just notifying us about boarding time. I have little confidence that that means anything. I keep waiting for a cancelation which will also cancel our air for the precruise RM trip. Please just tell me!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charleston Lady said:

Still struggling with this Mary229. We are on Zuiderdam 8/17 for 3 days, then land tour for 10 days. Just got an email from HAL today and thought, "Oh no!", but they were just notifying us about boarding time. I have little confidence that that means anything. I keep waiting for a cancelation which will also cancel our air for the precruise RM trip. Please just tell me!

I think those boarding time e-mails are “auto” generated.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Charleston Lady said:

I am going to call them Monday at the number I posted above.   When I called today the agent did not seem surprised that I was asking. Take what you will from that but I think it will be prudent to call the other number 

18 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

HAL has been using the Broadway dock in Skagway. The rockslide was on the railroad docks. 

Correction:  I just checked the CCL website and Zuiderdam would be at the Railroad Dock (RRF) on Saturday, Aug 20th when they were due to board.  The slide may be cleaned up but the slide area may not be stable.  Some other cruise lines have moved their Skagway ships to Sitka or are tendering from their ship to the harbor boat area in Skagway.  

We’ll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in August and will be at the Broadway Dock.  That’s my favorite Skagway dock.  Convenient and scenic for pictures down Broadway.