occupancy of ships right now

vivacolonia

Hello,

how is the occupancy on the ships (Reflection f.e.) right now? A few month ago there was something  around 30 - 50%, but what is going on now?

Have you any information and best, own observaions.

I am wondering, because I am booked on the 15th August Reflection crusie out of "Rome". The Roll Call is quite and if I have a look at the celebrity webpage I can choose a lot of cabines. So I wonder, how much occupancy there would be in a few weeks.

Happy Sunnday

Frank

Doing a quick look at what's available to book, I'd estimate that your cruise is at about 75% to 80% full right now.  Of course that will increase as prices drop and people do last minute bookings.  Enjoy.

Edited by Surfguyxxx

We got off the Reflection on the 4th July . We had 1700 approx on board. We were told the next cruise was fully booked. Capt was very transparent about Covid and kept us up top date with numbers, which was refreshing. Seemed to be about 20 confined normally, with some leaving and others arriving.. Hygiene was top notch , with constant cleaning and no helping yourself from the buffet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been following this since I will be on the Reflection in September. I have managed to ask someone either here or on FB from each sailing. Since June, the passenger count on the Reflection has been anywhere between 60-80%.   I just learned this morning the current sailing has about 2200 passengers, which is about 72%.  These are not official counts, but from passengers on the ship. 

sounds if celebrity has no fixed rule of how many passangers they let come on board the ship. It sounds more like it depends on the bookings right now.

A few month ago, I thought there where fixed rates of how many Passangers would be allowed. But I think this rule is gone. I didn`t finde anything elswhere and Celebirty doesn`t  provide me with informations, when I asked.

Hard to know as many have full trip insurance and could cancel at any time. Many may wait to see how Covid in Italy snd Europe goes right up to sailing date. On the “cruise ship news” app one contributor ( Cruise Law News) noted current RC Jewel of the Seas Europe trip had 73 Covid cases within several days after departure, could be more now (article July 16). Italy averaged 15k cases a day June 1. Now averaging a little over 100K.  I admit I pulled the plug until September 2023 for Europe, airports still a major mess for all Summer too.

I asked the shoreside concierge about my Milie cruise next month and she said about 60-70% full.  When I went on the website it looked like all suites, aqua and concierge cabins were booked.  But almost none of the OV and inside cabins were booked.

5 hours ago, vivacolonia said:

sounds if celebrity has no fixed rule of how many passangers they let come on board the ship. It sounds more like it depends on the bookings right now.

I would agree with this. The number of passengers depends almost wholly on demand, as it should be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

I would agree with this. The number of passengers depends almost wholly on demand, as it should be.

I think they are refraining from allowing full bookings partly to allow room for quarantine cabins and partly they are scaling occupancy to how staffed up they are on hotel services. They are certainly not fully or overstaffed currently.  Otherwise they would be upgrading a whole lot of people to open up cheaper inventory to sell on short notice, and they have not been.  60-70% seems to be the sweet spot

I am on the TA and prior cruise(Apex)this October, but have not been keeping up with anything, but suite counts.  On Oct. 17, there are 60+ open suites.  For the TA, there are none, although one comes available ever so often.  Final payment was already made for first cruise, so lots of suite availability at very high prices...more like extravagant prices, so no wonder 60+ are available...looks like lots of MoveUp availability.  Makes me wonder why Celebrity is keeping prices so high...demand is low due to high pricing; 14,000+ for lower suites and two people for a 12 day cruise.  Go figure! 

Yes, C is always in the back of my mind!

Edited by Lastdance

15 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Makes me wonder why Celebrity is keeping prices so high...demand is low due to high pricing; 14,000+ for lower suites and two people for a 12 day cruise.  

Perhaps they are hoping people do NOT use up FCC's on near dated, expensive inventory, with the hopes of selling them and stretching out FCC use/future bookings/deposits. If they made prices too low now they may artificially pull ahead business, exhaust lots of FCC's, and find that future organic bookings have dried up. 

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

I think they are refraining from allowing full bookings partly to allow room for quarantine cabins

Celebrity can claim this and perhaps it's true to some extent, but it doesn't explain all of the vacancies. Historically popular Cape Liberty sailings to Bermuda are not sailing at 80% because Celebrity is holding back 20% for quarantine cabins.

5 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Celebrity can claim this and perhaps it's true to some extent, but it doesn't explain all of the vacancies. Historically popular Cape Liberty sailings to Bermuda are not sailing at 80% because Celebrity is holding back 20% for quarantine cabins.

I think the staffing level is the real limiter currently.  Industry-wide issue. 

• Like 3

We were on Beyond just over a week ago.  The crowds seemed sparse, and we asked our waiter in Luminae.  He said they were told around 1,500 (which is just less than 50%), but that the next (current) cruise would be full.  Luminae was never crowded, and almost vacant during our normal 6:00 - 6:30 dinner time.  I would say it was perhaps half full when we were finishing our dinner.  The theatre was similar.  Very small crowds (we were told) in the early show, and the late show was always about 1/2 full.

On 7/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, hampshirelad said:

We got off the Reflection on the 4th July . We had 1700 approx on board. We were told the next cruise was fully booked. Capt was very transparent about Covid and kept us up top date with numbers, which was refreshing. Seemed to be about 20 confined normally, with some leaving and others arriving.. Hygiene was top notch , with constant cleaning and no helping yourself from the buffet.

We were on the next cruise and the captain said there were 2300 on board. Specifically he told us there were 23 covid cases which was 1% of the 2300 passengers. He also said that they were all mild or no symptoms 

10 minutes ago, Turquoise Girl said:

If cases are no symptoms why were they tested?  Are they randomly testing people on board?

Depends if passengers are ‘Up to date’ or fully vaccinated.

The fully vaccinated need extra tests for Spain & Italy.

74D29AA9-82A6-4401-8C4C-05E16EE6054C.thumb.jpeg.bfd0367fa2f710c5cbdc5b75c4e7ea53.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Depends if passengers are ‘Up to date’ or fully vaccinated.

The fully vaccinated need extra tests for Spain & Italy.

74D29AA9-82A6-4401-8C4C-05E16EE6054C.thumb.jpeg.bfd0367fa2f710c5cbdc5b75c4e7ea53.jpeg

That's very helpful and informative document. Do you know where or how I can find something similar for other Celebrity ships? 

Edited by Cpatti8
To add information/clarify.

51 minutes ago, Cpatti8 said:

That's very helpful and informative document. Do you know where or how I can find something similar for other Celebrity ships? 

change end of URL by ship moniker is typically how I can go through files like that.  

6 hours ago, Cpatti8 said:

Depends where your ship is sailing from.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/gb/healthy-at-sea/southampton-travel-requirements

The above link, which included the chart is for Southampton.

We were about 50% on constellation. It felt crazy quiet. By the last few days of the cruise many doors had room service in front and they started tightening up mask restrictions. Still had a lovely time and the staff worked HARD. 

Just remember there are external factors that have limited passenger numbers, especially in Europe.  It's only been a month since the U.S. dropped the testing requirement for returning back to the USA for international flights.  This alone kept Americans from booking international trips.  With the requirement now dropped deep into the summer travel season many have already planned there vacations or have put them off this year.  The other factor is "Airline fares" and availability.   Good luck finding a reasonably price flight these days.  Many good cruise deals out there right now.  However, you can't get there from here is a huge roadblock for those wishing to travel.  Until the airlines fix there problems, I would think bookings will be weak in the near term. 

We were just on the Equinox BTB and we had were to have 2400 on first cruise and not all were able to make it and second was 1900 and not all made it. We were told on cruise that a charter was next and then they were to a capacity for the next couple of cruises. I think they were saying 2500 passengers. They were not limited at all according to officers we talked to. We were in Blu and they expected capacity each cruise coming up. They were a lot of no shows due to flights on our first cruise and the second cruise they held our departure a few hours so people, I think 20 from a flight, could make it.