Name change on reservation

First time cruiser on RC (only done Disney and NCL).    I have 3 rooms on the thanksgiving cruise (Independence of the seas) - I understand it will be crowded.  

My first question of what I am sure will be many is that on one of the rooms I need to change the 2nd person in the room.   I am trying to deal with RC customer service but am having trouble getting them to change it.   The person I am taking off was a military member and now that is creating a problem with the reservation due to the discount.

Any suggestions?

1 minute ago, brucechase said:

First time cruiser on RC (only done Disney and NCL).    I have 3 rooms on the thanksgiving cruise (Independence of the seas) - I understand it will be crowded.  

My first question of what I am sure will be many is that on one of the rooms I need to change the 2nd person in the room.   I am trying to deal with RC customer service but am having trouble getting them to change it.   The person I am taking off was a military member and now that is creating a problem with the reservation due to the discount.

Any suggestions?

If you are removing the person who is eligible for the discount, the cabin will be repriced to the going rate.  You should be able to put a different person in that cabin though.

• Like 1

Any suggestions?

You say he is the 2nd person,, then what you imply is perhaps the cabin was booked under a military discount code. I would think no problem but I would expect the rate to be refared if it's a military rate under his name. 

@Ourusualbeachwill know.

so checking on the rates, the actual rooms (without the military discount) went down about $250.   I understand the 3rd room will go up in price due to not getting the military discount, but how does RC handle when the room rates go down?   Due that give OBC or reduce the amount owed?

so checking on the rates, the actual rooms (without the military discount) went down about $250.   I understand the 3rd room will go up in price due to not getting the military discount, but how does RC handle when the room rates go down?   Due that give OBC or reduce the amount owed?

before final payment they will just take it off and refund the amount. After final payment you should get obc it's been reported. I havent had any prices drop. 

When do you cruise?

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

before final payment they will just take it off and refund the amount. After final payment you should get obc it's been reported. I havent had any prices drop. 

When do you cruise?

No OBC after final payment for a November cruise.  That was only for cruises under CWC

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

When do you cruise?

We are on the Nov 21 -25 Independence of the Seas.   It looked like the discounts were the same, but I just made a dummy reservation and it took off a little more than last time.   I asked the customer services person and they said that when they did it, the price didn't change.   Kinda weird.

43 minutes ago, brucechase said:

We are on the Nov 21 -25 Independence of the Seas.   It looked like the discounts were the same, but I just made a dummy reservation and it took off a little more than last time.   I asked the customer services person and they said that when they did it, the price didn't change.   Kinda weird.

Were you comparing the exact same category.  Within even a balcony stateroom there can be 8 different categories, easy to not be comparing apples to apples. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucechase said:

Make sure you take it through all the way to the payment page because there's a couple fees that sometimes change aside from the base price, and you won't see those changes if you don't go through the whole process of putting in your name and getting to that final page where you can select things like "pre-paid gratuities" and "refundable deposit." 

I've noticed on my cruise that sometimes when they change the base fare to something lower (for example, let's say it's $15/person cheaper), they raise the fee to select a cabin in the center of the ship by $30, making the total price the same. Or, they'll make the cost of a refundable deposit higher. One week it'll be $108, the next week it'll be $130, etc., so by the time you factor in all the pricing changes, the net difference is actually $0.

I hate to start an argument but, just change the name and don't worry about the military discount. I don't think RCI asks which passenger qualifies for the discount. I qualify for, and have used, the First Responder discount and I don't recall anyone ever asking for proof that I am a first responder.

I didn't feel right getting the discount so I made sure they took it off.  No big deal, since I usually cruise Disney, this is so so much cheaper.   

The name change went well and we are all set.  

I did take the booking all the way to the end and the difference was $15 per person.   They said they didn't see the difference, but at that small amount, I didn't want to argue - yet.   

Thanks to everyone who responded.   Now on the questions about the cruise and excursions.

• Like 1