CDC no longer issuing public data of Covid on cruise ships

Virginia100

16 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

“Mild disease (for most)”

…if you are vaccinated and boosted

I have family members and friends (not judging here) that have refused to get the vaccine.  All have come down with COVID at some point (from one or another of the Omicron variants).  None of them got serious COVID symptoms.  I know others do get very sick.  But I think with Omicron variants the cases are milder in near everybody.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

I don’t see the quarantining going away. I mean there has always been quarantining with other contagious viruses like noro or if someone is diagnosed with flu. What will probably change is people being quarantined to their own cabins versus a separate deck. Of course that requires an honesty policy where those quarantined don’t leave their cabins. But that is the same with noro; you face consequences (being booted off the ship) if you do not follow the rules. We will likely see much less quarantining though if they stop the b2b testing.

I think you are on track here in dealing with COVID on ship in the future.    Eventually people will need to be involved in the self-decision to isolate in their own cabins if they feel ill.  As you say, like Noro or anything else.  Perhaps that will be more effective than mandatory isolations - as that policy is not really working if people don't report their symptoms because of that threat.  There will be very good cruise citizens that self-isolate.  Maybe they do a Covid test kit in their cabins. There will be others (in the minority I think) that will ignore everything and go about the ship.  I'm not saying that is OK IMO, but this will be a risk that we will have to live with on cruises.  I am hoping less of a risk when true variant-specific vaccine boosters are used, and updated every year.  The cruise lines cannot go on much longer bearing all the responsibility for quarantine and isolation.  Passengers need to take their own responsibility.  But cruise ships are also subject to procedures for the ports visited.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I think you are on track here in dealing with COVID on ship in the future.    Eventually people will need to be involved in the self-decision to isolate in their own cabins if they feel ill.  As you say, like Noro or anything else.  Perhaps that will be more effective than mandatory isolations - as that policy is not really working if people don't report their symptoms because of that threat.  There will be very good cruise citizens that self-isolate.  Maybe they do a Covid test kit in their cabins. There will be others (in the minority I think) that will ignore everything and go about the ship.  I'm not saying that is OK IMO, but this will be a risk that we will have to live with on cruises.  I am hoping less of a risk when true variant-specific vaccine boosters are used, and updated every year.  The cruise lines cannot go on much longer bearing all the responsibility for quarantine and isolation.  Passengers need to take their own responsibility.  But cruise ships are also subject to procedures for the ports visited.

Mandatory isolation is very counter productive. I would bet a good $ many do nothing if positive or not feeling well due to it. Honest? I would only if bad symptoms. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Mandatory isolation is very counter productive. I would bet a good $ many do nothing if positive or not feeling well due to it. Honest? I would only if bad symptoms. 

It seems Celebrity doesn't care too much either. On the Apex, my dad tested positive with the B2B mandatory test. They tested at 7:30 AM and went about their day until 6 PM when they finally went to the front desk to ask where the results were (my mom's had arrived via email earlier in the day, but not for my dad). Only then did they pull the results to see that he was positive and had him start isolating. So he was walking around the ship, unmasked for close to 12 hours without Celebrity doing anything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

It seems Celebrity doesn't care too much either. On the Apex, my dad tested positive with the B2B mandatory test. They tested at 7:30 AM and went about their day until 6 PM when they finally went to the front desk to ask where the results were (my mom's had arrived via email earlier in the day, but not for my dad). Only then did they pull the results to see that he was positive and had him start isolating. So he was walking around the ship, unmasked for close to 12 hours without Celebrity doing anything.

In your Mom and Dad's situation they had no symptoms, and did a routine screening test for the B2B.    But they would not likely be expected to quarantine or isolate waiting for the B2B test result. Only if positive.  Not sure why it took all day.  

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I The cruise lines cannot go on much longer bearing all the responsibility for quarantine and isolation.  Passengers need to take their own responsibility.  But cruise ships are also subject to procedures for the ports visited.

Agree! I am surprised that immediately after the CDC communication this week that cruise lines didn't immediately change their policies/procedures.  in the end this is a dollars and cents equation.  Surely they are also realizing that this illness is short lived for most since they have a crew that they can see real-world results. 

• Like 1

For P&O cruises (Carnival owned) effective July 24th, guests are no longer required to present a negative covid test in the terminal at check-in. There is no exception for US based sailings. All guests are still asked to take a covid test within 2 days, but it does not have to be proctored and can be a rapid test. All they need to do in port is assert that they have taken a test and it is negative, no proof needed. 

It's interesting to see this approach because it is still covering the cruise line but puts all responsibility onto the passenger. 

Edited by AbbyCruiser45
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

There will be very good cruise citizens that self-isolate. 

My opinion exactly.

11 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

The cruise lines cannot go on much longer bearing all the responsibility for quarantine and isolation.  Passengers need to take their own responsibility. 

Absolutely!

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

I would bet a good $ many do nothing if positive or not feeling well due to it. Honest? I would only if bad symptoms.

Mild symptoms for you may lead to bad symptoms to others.  I would self isolate....however, if asymptomatic how would I know to do so.  There may be many persons 'walking around' with the virus so impossible to avoid totally.

JMHO....expecting flamers....LOL.

43 minutes ago, tinaincc said:

Agree! I am surprised that immediately after the CDC communication this week that cruise lines didn't immediately change their policies/procedures.  in the end this is a dollars and cents equation.  Surely they are also realizing that this illness is short lived for most since they have a crew that they can see real-world results. 

Carnival is taking a wait and see position so CLIA members (including Celebrity) are not likely to immediately change.  Especially since ArriveCAN is still in place.

1 minute ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Carnival is taking a wait and see position so CLIA members (including Celebrity) are not likely to immediately change.  Especially since ArriveCAN is still in place.

P&O (Carnival owned and a CLIA member) dropped proof of testing today. NCL is a CLIA member as well and they dropped testing for European ports a few weeks ago. My thought is that the US based lines are coming up with new protocol, or else they would have put out a simple press release yesterday saying they acknowledge the CDC change but that policies would continue as normal. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

P&O (Carnival owned and a CLIA member) dropped proof of testing today. NCL is a CLIA member as well and they dropped testing for European ports a few weeks ago. My thought is that the US based lines are coming up with new protocol, or else they would have put out a simple press release yesterday saying they acknowledge the CDC change but that policies would continue as normal. 

Azamara have also dropped pre cruise testing except where local requirements are in place, Australia, south America etc. In Europe not required by them. Hope Celebrity will follow for Europe soon!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

wow that sounds odd that he was able to walk around and also had to chase down his results.

hmmm gives me pause on Celebrity in how they are handling this.  Either that, or short on staff and it got overlooked.

44 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Virgin Voyages removes pre cruise testing requirements. Looks like it has begun. Vaccination requirements basically still in effect.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/27889-virgin-voyages-eliminates-pre-embarkation-covid-19-testing-for-cruises.html

Very promising since this is the first line to announce with US ports. Given that most ports require vaccination, that is not a surprise (which I am fine with). 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Very promising since this is the first line to announce with US ports. Given that most ports require vaccination, that is not a surprise (which I am fine with). 

Agree. Since VV only has a couple of other ships in service it was probably easier to move quickly but I’m hoping that RCG has been working on a plan in case this day finally came and clearly it has.