Changes to Cunard covid pre cruise testing - U.K. departures.

Stu UK

Change of policy for U.K. departure covid testing. Email received today …….

“For your embarkation port, all guests aged five years and over must still take a Covid‑19 antigen test and receive a negative result within two days of departure. You will no longer need to provide a test certificate, however, you will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, for you and each member of your party as part of your pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal. Adequate tests include over the counter tests, providing they fall within our list of accepted Covid-19 antigen tests. NHS tests are now only issued for those in medical need. However, if you have any remaining NHS tests, these would be accepted.”

They ( Cunard & P&O) have lost the plot. Who on earth is going to pay for a test if you don't have to 'Prove the result'  🤷‍♂️

This will lead to folks replying with  'Negative' on their health form.  For the last three Cunard cruises I've taken I've always felt very comfortable knowing my fellow guests have taken some form of covid test prior to embarkation , not too sure I'll feel the same now , it's bad enough having a mask mandate 'Optional' .

What do others think . 🤔  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 5

This is also addressed on another  thread, linked to above.

As I say there, I am somewhat ambivalent.  My preference would have been to continue to insist on proof of a negative test, as I would have been much more comfortable knowing people had not simply declared themselves negative, as you suggest.  On the other hand,  at some time I see we will have to reduce the restrictions.  I am just not sure, given the current level of covid, now is the right time,

• Like 2

It's annoying because I had booked a pre-departure Covid test to get the certificate but there is an "admin fee" to cancel.  Typical!

The "fee" is less than the amount I would still have to pay out, and since I still have some NHS test kits I shall do one of those before leaving home and one before I get on the ship to be sure.

I do hope people will be honest and to a test, but it does open the system to abuse.  A dishonest person who tested positive but didn't want to forfeit their cruise could easily lie and just say they caught if from someone else on board.

• Like 5

Curious that this only applies to UK departures, in light of the CDC dropping its requirements recently.  I would have thought this would be the time to roll out changes fleet wide (with the exception of cruises sailing to locations where tests are still mandatory, of course).

2 minutes ago, High C's said:

Curious that this only applies to UK departures, in light of the CDC dropping its requirements recently.  I would have thought this would be the time to roll out changes fleet wide (with the exception of cruises sailing to locations where tests are still mandatory, of course).

I've just had the email and we are departing Barcelona on Aug 29th

I think this new policy makes sense.  Even if you do test negative 24 hours before departure that doesn’t mean you won’t have it when you embark.  The only testing that makes sense is one done immediately before you step on the ship and I’m sure cruise companies don’t want any part of that.

We will be on the westbound October 18th crossing.  I was going to bring tests with me and hope I could get a good Wi-Fi signal for proctoring but now I won’t have that stress.  We’ll still test however, the last thing I want is to be responsible for someone else getting sick.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Cruise NH said:

The only testing that makes sense is one done immediately before you step on the ship and I’m sure cruise companies don’t want any part of that.

All sailings from Southampton had that for a long time.  For example, on one sailing I had in September 2021 we all queued for about an hour beforehand for a test, and then waited anxiously in the hall for a text giving us permission to board.   As one of the entertainment people described it "Everyone waiting nervously to see if they had won a cruise."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, High C's said:

24 minutes ago, rakkor said:

The new testing policy not requiring a test certificate does apply to "voyages departing from Southampton and European ports". It does not apply to voyages departing from the US or Canada.

For voyages departing from Australia and New Zealand, the website states "We are currently reviewing the embarkation requirements, including Covid-19 testing, for Australia and New Zealand. We will update this web page in due course."

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rakkor said:

I can't think that you feel comfortable with this new announcement , considering what you both experienced some months ago . 

Hope this upcoming itinerary is far more enjoyable for you both than the last one 🤞

Bell Boy 😉

I just booked and paid two spots three hours ago for Covid tests in Southampton next week.  So my initial Reaction was DRAT!  But now I’m like I’m getting £60 back for the cancellation and no worrying about missing the appointments if my train (one day post strike) to Southampton is late.  

I am wondering why this change.

Is it because Covid is declining?  (The evidence would suggest otherwise).

Is it because testing facilities are ramping down because there is less demand?

Is it because (cost and potential inconvenience) pre-departure Covid testing was discouraging some passengers?

I suspect the latter, if cruise companies need to fill ships then they will try and remove all barriers and get people to test themselves at home and rely on their honesty pre-boarding.

21 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The new testing policy not requiring a test certificate does apply to "voyages departing from Southampton and European ports". It does not apply to voyages departing from the US or Canada.

For voyages departing from Australia and New Zealand, the website states "We are currently reviewing the embarkation requirements, including Covid-19 testing, for Australia and New Zealand. We will update this web page in due course."

Sorry, I should have specified US departures.  But that's why I made reference to the CDC, as they only govern the US.

Edited by High C's

31 minutes ago, richard_london said:

I am wondering why this change.

Is it because Covid is declining?  (The evidence would suggest otherwise).

Is it because testing facilities are ramping down because there is less demand?

Is it because (cost and potential inconvenience) pre-departure Covid testing was discouraging some passengers?

I suspect the latter, if cruise companies need to fill ships then they will try and remove all barriers and get people to test themselves at home and rely on their honesty pre-boarding.

It may also be that it really only made a marginal difference as to the number of Covid cases on board.  It’s clear that there are still people getting Covid after sailing even with the testing so why do it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

They ( Cunard & P&O) have lost the plot. Who on earth is going to pay for a test if you don't have to 'Prove the result'  🤷‍♂️

I have "free" tests from the U.S. government, and I'll bring a couple with me to London in Sept. I'll do one in my hotel before getting on the ship.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I have "free" tests from the U.S. government, and I'll bring a couple with me to London in Sept. I'll do one in my hotel before getting on the ship.

Either way, if it's free or payable  how many folks are going to honest🤔  ( if it's positive ) After they have travelled all the way from overseas and looking forward to their cruise 😉   

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Either way, if it's free or payable  how many folks are going to honest🤔  ( if it's positive ) After they have travelled all the way from overseas and looking forward to their cruise 😉   

Well, sure, but people have been lying about symptoms on health questionnaires for years.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rakkor said:

Is, nevertheless, the time frame for the test only 24 hours for Barcelona departures versus the two days at other ports?

54 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Is, nevertheless, the time frame for the test only 24 hours for Barcelona departures versus the two days at other ports?

Not from what I'm seeing anymore on the Cunard websites. There is no longer separate guidance for departures from Germany, France, Spain and Italy as there used to be on the Cunard US and UK websites. As of today there is one set of guidance for "Pre-cruise testing for voyages departing from Southampton and European ports." That guidance states "two days".

I note the Cunard website for Germany has separate guidance for "Einschiffung in Deutschland" and "Einschiffung in Großbritannien und in EU-Ländern" but I'm not seeing any differences in the testing requirements between those two sections, just the expected differences with links to find tests in Germany and the UK. Both of those sections state "zwei Tagen" as well.

28 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Not from what I'm seeing anymore on the Cunard websites. There is no longer separate guidance for departures from Germany, France, Spain and Italy as there used to be on the Cunard US and UK websites. As of today there is one set of guidance for "Pre-cruise testing for voyages departing from Southampton and European ports." That guidance states "two days".

I note the Cunard website for Germany has separate guidance for "Einschiffung in Deutschland" and "Einschiffung in Großbritannien und in EU-Ländern" but I'm not seeing any differences in the testing requirements between those two sections, just the expected differences with links to find tests in Germany and the UK. Both of those sections state "zwei Tagen" as well.

Thanks a lot. Two days is so much easier than 24 hours. 

This is better than paying so much for a certificate. They were still open to fraud. We did 3 in our house and all that was asked was the test number and photo of test result. If you were that way inclined you could have done the normal [UK] test got a positive result but then got another family member to do the one with the certificate. If you are this way inclined, neither testing is 100% safe, honesty wise . I see it is still asking for proof, so will assume you will just need to show your NHS [if in UK] result via the replied email or text message as was per norm.

Do we now if this is a one the day test or day before? 

• Like 1

The requirement before this was hardly a big deal - order a £10 test for home, photo it and get a certificate. I guess short of a witnessed test it was open to abuse. 

I bet it all changes - for tighter requirements- before our trip in October. 

8 hours ago, Stu UK said:

Change of policy for U.K. departure covid testing. Email received today …….

“For your embarkation port, all guests aged five years and over must still take a Covid‑19 antigen test and receive a negative result within two days of departure. You will no longer need to provide a test certificate, however, you will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, for you and each member of your party as part of your pre‑boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal. Adequate tests include over the counter tests, providing they fall within our list of accepted Covid-19 antigen tests. NHS tests are now only issued for those in medical need. However, if you have any remaining NHS tests, these would be accepted.”

Guess that means answering no to all questions on the health form as everyone did in the past even though they might have been running a temp. or had a clod. Boarding shall not be denied. Look for the declaration of a negative test to disappear within a few weeks as it will be worthless. How will they ever prove if you actually took a test or not.