Debarking the Solstice in Seattle

giraffegirl

I need to arrange for transportation from the pier after my August 12, 2022, Alaska cruise. I will use a wheelchair to debark. Can anyone tell me what time I can expect to be off the ship and through Customs to meet my transport?

Its all pretty flexible. For our Solstice Seattle departure, they started walk-offs with their own luggage at about 7:30 or so. that was followed by those who had their luggage taken off and started about 8am. We were some of the later ones and left at 9:30am. It took about 10-15min to get the luggage and go through customs. No big deal. 

We were originally going to use the Tram to the airport but its a goodly distance from Pier 91, so we were in an extended taxi line that took 45min. 

For those that use Uber type, the pick up was a goodly (I love that word) distance from the dock area well beyond the ‘normal’ pick up areas. 

This is one of the few times I’d recommend using the ship’s airport shuttles. I forget how much it is per, but it would cut down on the hassle.

Added: You can ask for an early departure or a time of your choice. If you get your luggage tickets and its too early/late, you can go down to the desk and get them changed. Done that a few times.

In Fort Lauderdale and Miami, we had little difficulty getting a taxi out of the terminal, but Seattle was a mess. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

I’d also recommend a car service. They can come right where you exit the terminal. That’s what we did. Wasn’t that bad. Plus if you’re flight is after a certain time, the port of Seattle offers complimentary luggage valet so you don’t need to deal with that. 

Both the Solstice and the gigantic Ovation of the Seas disembark and embark on Fridays at Smith Cove.  The congestion in front of the cruise terminal can be intense.  

You will not have any issues clearing customs.  The issue will be the congestion in front of the cruise terminal.  

We have dealt with Smith Cove several times, and use either a car service or shuttle service.  Car services and shuttles are allowed to drive to a narrow area in front of the terminal.  The Lyft and Uber drop off/pick up area is much farther than what is normally expected and in a wheel chair you will definitely want to avoid that distance.

When we disembarked the Solstice on July 1st we were some of the last off.  We left approximately 9:30 am and were in the area designated for pick up by our shuttle service by about 9:50 or so.  We are fully mobile so walked down a flight of stairs to the baggage claim area as the escalator was out of service.  The line for what appeared to be the sole elevator was long.  

Once outside we encountered another Solstice family.  The family included the mother who was in a wheelchair.  The family had arranged for a car service to pick them up, but the vehicle itself had difficulty navigating close to them; both the husband and adult son were becoming very frustrated as they were trying to clear a pathway to get her to the vehicle.

If you are heading to SEATAC the idea to book a Solstice airport transfer is a great idea.  Also consider the Port of Seattle luggage valet service.

We always participate in the luggage valet program when disembarking. We have been cruising Alaska most years since 2010. We tried the bus transfer and also a cab to the airport. But for the last 5 years we have been using a car service. Always great and entertaining drivers. 

22 minutes ago, giraffegirl said:

Thank you so much. I want to book a car service to go to Everett to visit family over the weekend.  I really appreciate your responses.

For a car service set up prior, when you leave the terminal, cross the road in front and go to the left side. That’s were prearranged shuttles and services line up. Just ask a crowd control person and they can help. 

Thanks so much for this advice - We are also planning to self-disembark as early as possible for an 11:15 am flight (I know.....). Sounds like car service is the way to go.

Port Valet just recently changed the earliest flight time for its services to noon.

• Like 1

We are thinking of staying at least one night in the arrival port after cruises, unless its a port such as FLL which the airport is close and easy to manage and easier flight home. 

We relax on a wonderful cruise, then scramble to pack and get off and over to an airport. And airports are which such a Lovely experience once there. Then a 2-leg flight no matter where from - home is a smallish town and must fly through Atlanta.

Starting to consider spending a bit more to make thing easier. And a chance to explore a city. Seattle was a killer and its getting worse.

we tried the Line shuttle, and that was even a hassle. Got on the bus, but then waited for it to be filled completely. Then someone jumped off because theyd forgot something. Got to the airport and they dropped us all off at the same spot…and we got to lug the stuff from one end to the other. I hope that was just a single point of experience.

But the taxi wait in Seattle was crazy, so…….personal shuttles are now in the mix, and staying a bit sounds fun. 

Den

Got off of Solstice July 24 about 9:00 at luggage pickup there are porters well worth the tip. They got our luggage met us other side of immigration. They have  agreement with Taxis and took us past line and into cab. No problem.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Denny01 said:

Its all pretty flexible. For our Solstice Seattle departure, they started walk-offs with their own luggage at about 7:30 or so. that was followed by those who had their luggage taken off and started about 8am. We were some of the later ones and left at 9:30am. It took about 10-15min to get the luggage and go through customs. No big deal. 

We were originally going to use the Tram to the airport but its a goodly distance from Pier 91, so we were in an extended taxi line that took 45min. 

For those that use Uber type, the pick up was a goodly (I love that word) distance from the dock area well beyond the ‘normal’ pick up areas. 

This is one of the few times I’d recommend using the ship’s airport shuttles. I forget how much it is per, but it would cut down on the hassle.

Added: You can ask for an early departure or a time of your choice. If you get your luggage tickets and its too early/late, you can go down to the desk and get them changed. Done that a few times.

In Fort Lauderdale and Miami, we had little difficulty getting a taxi out of the terminal, but Seattle was a mess. 

Den

Agreed!  Our Seattle embarkation day in 2017 was a nightmare!  Took forever (45 min) to get from the bridge near the parking lots to our drop off point.  Taxi fee had gone up from $20 to $60 with meter running as we sat stalled in traffic!  Inside tempers were flaring and the X  Concierge was going from person to person in line assuring them the sail away lunch was being extended.   Disembarkation was also crazy.  There were no established lines and the X employee just told us "to pick one".  After almost 40 minutes of a slow moving line we made it outside to the long, long taxi line.  

We decided we would never cruise out of Seattle again.

Wow, glad I stumbled onto this thread.  We are disembarking in Seattle in early September and trying to catch an 11:45 a.m.  flight.  

Does anyone have suggestions for a reliable car service that can meet us at the port?

5 minutes ago, postnobills said:

Wow, glad I stumbled onto this thread.  We are disembarking in Seattle in early September and trying to catch an 11:45 a.m.  flight.  

Does anyone have suggestions for a reliable car service that can meet us at the port?

Uber has always worked well for us - after you exit the terminal walk to the left to meet them.