ArriveCan Glitch?

lx200gps

A few days ago I made a half hour trip across the US border to renew my NEXUS card. ArriveCan was filled out prior to the trip, and I breezed through both US Customs on the way down and Canada Customs 30 minutes later on the way home. Today we received an automated phone call from a Canadian Gvt service which seems to be used for checking on people who are supposed to be quarantining (888-336-7735).  Needless to say, nothing was said at the border when I returned, and I have received absolutely no other indications that I was selected for testing, quarantining, etc.  Does anyone have experience with getting what I assume is an erroneous message from this number? I am well aware of the very public glitch with the ArriveCan app on this very issue, but all reports state this is an IOS issue and I'm Android.  If I was particularly paranoid, I would note that the phone call came literally a few hours after I installed the ArriveCan update just this morning courtesy of the Play Store  ;o)

Edited by lx200gps

44 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

A few days ago I made a half hour trip across the US border to renew my NEXUS card. ArriveCan was filled out prior to the trip, and I breezed through both US Customs on the way down and Canada Customs 30 minutes later on the way home. Today we received an automated phone call from a Canadian Gvt service which seems to be used for checking on people who are supposed to be quarantining (888-336-7735).  Needless to say, nothing was said at the border when I returned, and I have received absolutely no other indications that I was selected for testing, quarantining, etc.  Does anyone have experience with getting what I assume is an erroneous message from this number? I am well aware of the very public glitch with the ArriveCan app on this very issue, but all reports state this is an IOS issue and I'm Android.  If I was particularly paranoid, I would note that the phone call came literally a few hours after I installed the ArriveCan update just this morning courtesy of the Play Store  ;o)

I don't think that there has been any official statement identifying the issue as being restricted to the iPhone app, just speculation, and I suspect that the glitch may well pop up with some Android phones. Which might well explain why an Android update has been issued.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I don't think that there has been any official statement identifying the issue as being restricted to the iPhone app, just speculation, and I suspect that the glitch may well pop up with some Android phones. Which might well explain why an Android update has been issued.

My IOS comment was based on the comment from a government spokesman as quoted on CTV....

“This glitch affected less than three per cent of users, and appeared to be linked to iOS (Apple) devices,” according to a statement released by the Ministry of Public Safety Friday. “A technical solution was identified and implemented the evening of July 20.”

My worry is that I received the call immediately AFTER I performed the update. Still, I will assume it's an error and wait until I receive further contacts. At least the next time I won't kill the call, as I do to all other junk phone calls.

I never trust robo calls. When in doubt I lookup the appropriate agency contact number and call to verify. It may mean some time on hold, but it shows good faith should there ever be a problem.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

My IOS comment was based on the comment from a government spokesman as quoted on CTV....

“This glitch affected less than three per cent of users, and appeared to be linked to iOS (Apple) devices,” according to a statement released by the Ministry of Public Safety Friday. “A technical solution was identified and implemented the evening of July 20.”

My worry is that I received the call immediately AFTER I performed the update. Still, I will assume it's an error and wait until I receive further contacts. At least the next time I won't kill the call, as I do to all other junk phone calls.

Yes, I was well aware of this unsourced ministry statement when I posted. The comment that the glitch "appeared" to be linked to iOS is pretty vague and far from an official statement that the issue was restricted to iOS. I think the fact that you received the notification on an Android rather proves the point. While you received the notification after the new release was installed, it presumably was triggered by the submission made by the earlier version, but either way, the problem isn't restricted to iOS.

Not an ArriveCan glitch after all at least in my case. The calls from the gvt 7735 number actually were to confirm to me that I had been selected for a DAY ONE random arrival test and to check on my test results, so I'm currently 4 days beyond. They even had an option to select "I did not know I was selected" which was clearly my case.  I have so far received no notification of my selection beyond that automated call. I contacted PHAC and the lady could not help beyond confirming that the original robocall was probably to inform me that I had been selected. She did give me that contact details of the testing provider at YUL so I could arrange the  test. When I contacted the testing provider, the lady informed that they could not do my test as I have not received written notification, though she did say that formal Email notification can take as long as 5 days. So right now I appear to be in bureaucratic limbo, quite possibly subject to massive fines if I so much as leave the house.

6 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Not an ArriveCan glitch after all at least in my case. The calls from the gvt 7735 number actually were to confirm to me that I had been selected for a DAY ONE random arrival test and to check on my test results, so I'm currently 4 days beyond. They even had an option to select "I did not know I was selected" which was clearly my case.  I have so far received no notification of my selection beyond that automated call. I contacted PHAC and the lady could not help beyond confirming that the original robocall was probably to inform me that I had been selected. She did give me that contact details of the testing provider at YUL so I could arrange the  test. When I contacted the testing provider, the lady informed that they could not do my test as I have not received written notification, though she did say that formal Email notification can take as long as 5 days. So right now I appear to be in bureaucratic limbo, quite possibly subject to massive fines if I so much as leave the house.

wow… unbelievable…I thought if you were randomly selected they advise you in person when there.  At least that’s been the experience of a couple of my friends that went across the border for the day.  

How crazy is this….and such a waste of your time trying to jump through hoops to figure it all out.    Absolutely ridiculous.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

What a runaround. ☹️ GOC seems to have real issues translating policy into action at the moment.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the house. I'd use a home test and if it was negative would continue with my life.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

What a runaround. ☹️ GOC seems to have real issues translating policy into action at the moment.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about leaving the house. I'd use a home test and if it was negative would continue with my life.

Oh they are very good at policy AND action, just none that properly converge ;o(.  All for a 30 minute cross border hop to renew my NEXUS card. The Travel Canada website even says that if you are selected for testing at a land crossing you will be given the test kit right then and there. And yet the lady on the phone today confirmed that the CBSA people will know nothing about anyone being selected. It would have been nice if the ArriveCan receipt at least showed I was selected, but it says nothing. At least YUL is a short drive away and I was going that way anyhow. I'm going to head over there to see if either the test provider or the local PHAC reps (I believe they are at the airport) who handle the testing for arriving air pax can help.

11 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Oh they are very good at policy AND action, just none that properly converge ;o(.  All for a 30 minute cross border hop to renew my NEXUS card. The Travel Canada website even says that if you are selected for testing at a land crossing you will be given the test kit right then and there. And yet the lady on the phone today confirmed that the CBSA people will know nothing about anyone being selected. It would have been nice if the ArriveCan receipt at least showed I was selected, but it says nothing. At least YUL is a short drive away and I was going that way anyhow. I'm going to head over there to see if either the test provider or the local PHAC reps (I believe they are at the airport) who handle the testing for arriving air pax can help.

Good luck.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

So right now I appear to be in bureaucratic limbo, quite possibly subject to massive fines if I so much as leave the house.

I don’t think so. If you are a fully vaccinated randomly selected traveller you should be able to continue your life without waiting for results, at least that is what I thought. In your case, however, you are waiting for the test to happen. I don’t know if that makes a difference. 

All I can say is that I hope I don’t get selected when I return from Africa in a little over a week. 

Edited by gnome12

OP here, I think I may dodged the bullet. I visited the official Quebec testing company's big testing facility at YUL and posed my situation to them in person, that I had been selected for random testing but had zero official notice beyond the menacing phone call. The folks there called their management and the answer was "...test him, no problem" despite my having no official requisition from the gvt. My PCR test results will be Emailed to me within 48 hours and the gvt will be informed, so I should be OK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

OP here, I think I may dodged the bullet. I visited the official Quebec testing company's big testing facility at YUL and posed my situation to them in person, that I had been selected for random testing but had zero official notice beyond the menacing phone call. The folks there called their management and the answer was "...test him, no problem" despite my having no official requisition from the gvt. My PCR test results will be Emailed to me within 48 hours and the gvt will be informed, so I should be OK.

Glad you got it done but still…it’s ridiculous you had to go through all this.   Thanks for updating!

31 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Glad you got it done but still…it’s ridiculous you had to go through all this.   Thanks for updating!

Thanks. They actually beat their 48 hours and sent the results a few minutes ago, Fortunately, negative and the it looks like the feds have been sent a copy, so I think I'm in the clear.  Until our next cruise in September out of NY that is, again driving back across the same land border. I'll be VERY careful next time....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks. They actually beat their 48 hours and sent the results a few minutes ago, Fortunately, negative and the it looks like the feds have been sent a copy, so I think I'm in the clear.  Until our next cruise in September out of NY that is, again driving back across the same land border. I'll be VERY careful next time....

We live in BC so not sure if your border goes by different rules.  Any of my friends or relatives that drove across the border if they got “flagged” on the way back they were given I think a form or something but never a phone call message.  Just strange.   Glad you got the negative results !

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

We live in BC so not sure if your border goes by different rules.  Any of my friends or relatives that drove across the border if they got “flagged” on the way back they were given I think a form or something but never a phone call message.  Just strange.   Glad you got the negative results !

I don't think the province matters. I was going to say "We're all Canada" except that I live in Quebec so I should know better ;o(  Any chance you know exactly how your friends found out they had been selected? It might help us next time we drive through in September. It wasn't through ArriveCan was it? When I talked to the person at the government hot line and asked her why the CBSA agent who waved me through back into Canada didn't tell me anything or give me any paperwork, she said that no, they wouldn't know you had been randomly selected.  So who does?

6 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I don't think the province matters. I was going to say "We're all Canada" except that I live in Quebec so I should know better ;o(  Any chance you know exactly how your friends found out they had been selected? It might help us next time we drive through in September. It wasn't through ArriveCan was it? When I talked to the person at the government hot line and asked her why the CBSA agent who waved me through back into Canada didn't tell me anything or give me any paperwork, she said that no, they wouldn't know you had been randomly selected.  So who does?

No the borders are supposed to be the same but depends on the officer I guess.  I’ll text my friend and ask her-I guess I just assumed she was told at the border. I’ll get back to you on that.  Regarding Quebec, very different (😂) our daughter & grandkids live there so we do visit as much as we can.  

In my case they gave me the test kit, with instructions, and you test within 24 hours of arrival.  There is no appointment.  You just log into the site per the instructions and wait for someone to come online to proctor.  The officer absolutely knows you have been selected because they initiate it.

Edited by *Miss G*

10 hours ago, canadianbear said:

@lx200gps

this is from my friend: 

They tell you that you have been randomly selected.  They give you a test kit and instructions &  you have to make appt to have a tech monitor you doing the test.

10 hours ago, canadianbear said:

@lx200gps

And this from a relative: 

The border officer told me I was randomly selected and handed me a test kit.  However it had to be supervised which is why I went to a participating Shoppers drug mart the next day.

7 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

In my case they gave me the test kit, with instructions, and you test within 24 hours of arrival.  There is no appointment.  You just log into the site per the instructions and wait for someone to come online to proctor.  The officer absolutely knows you have been selected because they initiate it.

Thanks very much for the data points. I have no idea why the CBSA agent I dealt with didn't say anything about me being selected, but she definitely did not.  The only possible reason I can think of as to why I slipped through the cracks and got sent on my way without being told I was selected is that I  went through the NEXUS line, and not through the very long lineup of non-NEXUS drivers. I'll never know why, but I will be making sure I confirm things properly when I drive through again in September.  At least in November we'll be flying.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lx200gps said:

This issue is not new...this happened to my wife back in April...breezed through customs with no random testing...3 days later we get the phone call re testing...selected the 'I did not know' option...then called the help line and they told us to wait until we hear from someone....still waiting...

19 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Just received an email from Nexus about my renewal. Mine expires in Jan but we usually renew online. Just wondering about the process you went through crossing the border. I may be able to do that in Calais, Maine since we live so close.

27 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

This issue is not new...this happened to my wife back in April...breezed through customs with no random testing...3 days later we get the phone call re testing...selected the 'I did not know' option...then called the help line and they told us to wait until we hear from someone....still waiting...

That's pretty much what I was told as well. I just figured I'd head them off and get tested anyway, by the official testing agency at the airport. They claim they have submitted my negative test result to PHAC, so I'm just going to forget the whole sordid affair.

2 minutes ago, Travelexpert35 said:

Just received an email from Nexus about my renewal. Mine expires in Jan but we usually renew online. Just wondering about the process you went through crossing the border. I may be able to do that in Calais, Maine since we live so close.

Absolutely dead simple (except for having to drive an hour each way because the Canadian testing sites are still closed). I assume you are having to actually do an interview (apparently many folks recently are/were being automatically renewed; I sure wasn't)  Selecting the interview location on the https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/  was very easy, and I actually changed my interview location and date three times until I managed to grab the best one I could hope for. I used the NEXUS drive up lane into the US as the "regular" line was jammed and had no wait at all, just drove up. Told her I was going into the big building to her left for my NEXUS renewal interview and she waived me through. Once inside, I went to the NEXUS room, checked in and sat for less than 5 minutes before the US agent sat me down. Photo, fingerprints, a few questions and he was done. Move over the CBSA agent (US and Canadian officers are in the same office), he asked me a few questions, and I was out in less than 10 minutes.  Went back through the Canadian border crossing, again the NEXUS line, answered the same few questions and she waved me through.  I just wish she'd known I was being selected for random testing.

• Like 1