ArriveCan Glitch?

lx200gps

20 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Oh they are very good at policy AND action, just none that properly converge ;o(.  All for a 30 minute cross border hop to renew my NEXUS card. The Travel Canada website even says that if you are selected for testing at a land crossing you will be given the test kit right then and there. And yet the lady on the phone today confirmed that the CBSA people will know nothing about anyone being selected. It would have been nice if the ArriveCan receipt at least showed I was selected, but it says nothing. At least YUL is a short drive away and I was going that way anyhow. I'm going to head over there to see if either the test provider or the local PHAC reps (I believe they are at the airport) who handle the testing for arriving air pax can help.

Don’t count on the testers knowing anything. On Arrive can I had registered with the company in March as the app suggested to save time registering at the desk. When I was randomly selected I was carted off to the test area. The nurses there didn’t know anything about the app, or what I was asking them to look for.  They told me they are a contracted company and this is all that they do. So I had to provide all the info again. It was a PCR test so I had to wait 2 days before getting my negative result. Now that random testing all off site at the 4 airports I don’t suppose they’re accessible at all.  The new rules for random testing apply to 4 airports. 

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

The only possible reason I can think of as to why I slipped through the cracks and got sent on my way without being told I was selected is that I  went through the NEXUS line, and not through the very long lineup of non-NEXUS drivers

I use the NEXUS lane and have been given a test kit 3 times.

1 hour ago, Tango99 said:

Don’t count on the testers knowing anything. On Arrive can I had registered with the company in March as the app suggested to save time registering at the desk. When I was randomly selected I was carted off to the test area. The nurses there didn’t know anything about the app, or what I was asking them to look for.  They told me they are a contracted company and this is all that they do. So I had to provide all the info again. It was a PCR test so I had to wait 2 days before getting my negative result. Now that random testing all off site at the 4 airports I don’t suppose they’re accessible at all.  The new rules for random testing apply to 4 airports. 

I don't know which airports are involved, but at YUL the testing company is right in the Departures hall.  Signs are everywhere in all terminals pointing victims right to their big testing setup. Couldn't have been easier.

I'm curious/confused about the relationship between ArriveCan and random testing. Is the notification to be tested actually transmitted through the app?  I've only used Arrivecan a few times but have never seen any mention of registering for testing. I certainly didn't see anything when I completed the submission for this trip last week, nor on the receipt I received after it was accepted

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

I use the NEXUS lane and have been given a test kit 3 times.

Randomly selected for testing THREE TIMES?  How many times have you crossed the border? And when you were selected, what paperwork did you get with the test kit.  There must have been some kind of "reference" number for your case/file when you submitted your results to PHAC?

Edited by lx200gps

14 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Randomly selected for testing THREE TIMES?  How many times have you crossed the border? And when you were selected, what paperwork did you get with the test kit.  There must have been some kind of "reference" number for your case/file when you submitted your results to PHAC?

I am a Canadian living in the US.  I cross frequently for business and family.  I’ve thrown out all the things they’ve given to me but I did take a pic of a portion of one side of the instructions.  The first time I called about erroneous emails they told me to ignore them. So I do.  😂

14147311-7E1B-4845-82E5-B8AC764D0D3D.thumb.jpeg.41fee66b09222f2a406e07cb69d8f24f.jpeg

9 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I am a Canadian living in the US.  I cross frequently for business and family.  I’ve thrown out all the things they’ve given to me but I did take a pic of a portion of one side of the instructions.  The first time I called about erroneous emails they told me to ignore them. So I do.  😂

14147311-7E1B-4845-82E5-B8AC764D0D3D.thumb.jpeg.41fee66b09222f2a406e07cb69d8f24f.jpeg

Thanks very much for the photo. According to the Travel.ca website, Dynacare is no longer the second Quebec provider, so I had to use Biron at the airport even though I had come through by land. Seems to have gone OK with them agreeing to test me and submit my results despite my lack of a formal written requirement. The sooner this testing stupidity goes away the better, but I'm not optimistic it will happen anytime soon.

18 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

The sooner this testing stupidity goes away the better, but I'm not optimistic it will happen anytime soon.

To say I was disappointed when they brought back random testing is putting it mildly.  Annoyed and frustrated are words which come to mind.  lol

I don't know which airports are involved, but at YUL the testing company is right in the Departures hall.  Signs are everywhere in all terminals pointing victims right to their big testing setup. Couldn't have been easier.

I'm curious/confused about the relationship between ArriveCan and random testing. Is the notification to be tested actually transmitted through the app?  I've only used Arrivecan a few times but have never seen any mention of registering for testing. I certainly didn't see anything when I completed the submission for this trip last week, nor on the receipt I received after it was accepted

I don't think there is any direct relation between ArriveCAN and random arrival test selection. There is no guarantee that a traveller will actually arrive.

42 minutes ago, broberts said:

I don't think there is any direct relation between ArriveCAN and random arrival test selection. There is no guarantee that a traveller will actually arrive.

That's what I would have thought as well. I was a bit confused by an earlier post (#26 above) that said: "On Arrive can I had registered with the company in March as the app suggested to save time registering at the desk"

That's what I would have thought as well. I was a bit confused by an earlier post (#26 above) that said: "On Arrive can I had registered with the company in March as the app suggested to save time registering at the desk"

The app does recommend that you register with the testing company, if you are flying. The recommendation can be found in the section entitled "Air travellers, please note the following". It even provides a link to help you find your test provider. 

IMG_3326.thumb.jpeg.1b626930595f358a2303d0a4aefd2ddc.jpeg

Note, however, that if you indicate that you are entering Canada by land or marine, the section with the above information will not appear in the app while you are preparing your submission. But the point made in post #26 is that @Tango99 followed the app's instruction for flyers to register with the test provider, but the provider knew nothing about it.

Just another disconnect with the overall entry system, just like the CBSA officer failing to provide you with a test kit as she is required to do. I for one can't wait until MRT and ArriveCAN are both done away with.

• 2 weeks later...

We arrived via car back to Canada on July 27 via Queenston/Lewiston in Ontario.  No issues at the border.  No notification that any testing required.  On July 31 received automated phone call from PHAC advising that my husband's Day 1 test results hadn't been received.  Selected "did not know about testing" option.  Told to call PHAC toll free number.  Spoke to an agent who told us to contact Ontario testing contractor (Lifelabs) and arrange for testing.  Spent over an hour on hold and still unable to reach a warm body.   Checked online and couldn't go for an in-person test as we did not have a testing reference number so we  ordered a "replacement testing kit".  Waiting for it to be delivered and will then do the test and send it in so the results can be on file.  Didn't want to take any chances as we have a European river cruise scheduled for October and don't want any issues trying to get back in to Canada upon our return.  

The system needs to be fixed.  Our friends had a similar issue driving back from Florida in April.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cruiser2905 said:

We arrived via car back to Canada on July 27 via Queenston/Lewiston in Ontario.  No issues at the border.  No notification that any testing required.  On July 31 received automated phone call from PHAC advising that my husband's Day 1 test results hadn't been received.  Selected "did not know about testing" option.  Told to call PHAC toll free number.  Spoke to an agent who told us to contact Ontario testing contractor (Lifelabs) and arrange for testing.  Spent over an hour on hold and still unable to reach a warm body.   Checked online and couldn't go for an in-person test as we did not have a testing reference number so we  ordered a "replacement testing kit".  Waiting for it to be delivered and will then do the test and send it in so the results can be on file.  Didn't want to take any chances as we have a European river cruise scheduled for October and don't want any issues trying to get back in to Canada upon our return.  

The system needs to be fixed.  Our friends had a similar issue driving back from Florida in April.  

The same happened to us flying in to Pearson. No issues going through...3 days later DW got the phone call...selected the 'did not know option'...called the help line and was told to wait for a follow-up phone call...still waiting 😷

2 hours ago, cruiser2905 said:

Exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. When I called the Quebec testing contractor Biron, the rep told me the same as you were told: no reference number so we can't test you. Because I live not far from YUL, I drove to the airport and talked to the Biron team in person. The rep called their head office, explained my situation and was told to go ahead and test me anyway. I have my negative test result, but to date have heard nothing from anyone.

Considering how small this group of posters on CC is it is amazing how many have been caught up in this situation, before the random testing ended and after it returned. It makes one wonder of many in the general public have had the same thing happen.

The no call back is the concerning thing.  If Canada has brought back random testing for the safety of the country by tracking variants, a phone call back one would be one of the easiest things to do. It sounds like there is no or little follow-up in this situation and how is that beneficial to the country’s safety. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Considering how small this group of posters on CC is it is amazing how many have been caught up in this situation, before the random testing ended and after it returned. It makes one wonder of many in the general public have had the same thing happen.

The no call back is the concerning thing.  If Canada has brought back random testing for the safety of the country by tracking variants, a phone call back one would be one of the easiest things to do. It sounds like there is no or little follow-up in this situation and how is that beneficial to the country’s safety. 

I've no doubt that this small group of posters is representative of the numbers for the general public. Whether the recent "fixes" will result in a reduction or elimination of these random testing glitches remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

We have no measure of the number of CC members that have entered Canada since random testing was reintroduced. We certainly know that few, if any, post about uneventful crossings or testing selection. I guess the amazement is from the fact that the random test program is not error free?

While I consider lack of call backs very poor customer service, it seems to me that GOC is not alone in this failing. A quick perusal of the boards will highlight many more cruise line related incidents than random entry testing.

27 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I returned from Africa on Monday. Heard nothing about being selected for random testing. We will see whether I get a call tomorrow (day 3).

In my case, I drove back into Canada on a Tuesday, heard nothing as I came back across, then started to receive the menacing robo-calls on the following Saturday.  Give it a few more then days then you can probably breath easier.  Can't say whether folks flying in are more or less likely to fall victim to this surprise testing error or not.

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I've no doubt that this small group of posters is representative of the numbers for the general public. Whether the recent "fixes" will result in a reduction or elimination of these random testing glitches remains to be seen.

One can hope that the fixes will reduce the glitches. 

• Like 1