July 9-16 Panorama, special needs

edspec

Inspired by@JillK  and her excellent review, I've decided to share my family's experience on 9-16 Panorama sailing.  

My 32 year old son is autistic, and the pandemic has effectively isolated him for the past 2.5 years.  DH and I are both pretty sure the staff at his day program scared the life out of him in regards to Covid.  Then his day program shut down and even though programs have started up they are not the 9-3 M-F  as they were.  In person two half days a week, then  virtual, basically a much diminished service...which doesn't matter to DS because he refused to go back anyway.  All the above to say that I was desperate to get DS out of the house and experiencing life again.  He did not share the same drive and was unhappy every time I talked about the cruise (often 🙂 )

Lots of stress leading up to the trip, and don't get me started on the testing!  Lots of fun with DS and it took the results forever to come back.  We drove down from the Sacramento area the day before and didn't get DS's negative test back until we were at the Grapevine.

Checked into our hotel, Residence Inn Long Beach downtown.  Nice hotel, good breakfast, and right on the sea walk which leads to the cruise terminal.  I didn't realize this until we checked in and that fact changed our embarkation morning.  I was stressed that the parking garage, (DS is often afraid of parking garages), would upset DS, but given the easy walk I had DH take the bags down early, park, and walk back. The plan was to have a leisurely morning and leave the hotel at noon, with time for a slow walk until our arrival time of 12:30.  DS was super quick getting ready and we ended up at the terminal at 11:15.  Not good.  I explained to the gentleman in charge of the 12:30 line and he immediately walked us into the terminal and got our initial check-in taken care of.  Then we went to special access and the person there sent us to someone who completed the check-in and walked us immediately onto the ship.  Incredible service.  I'd communicated with special needs before the trip as I didn't want a long time in the terminal because DS won't wear a mask and I didn't want his lack of mask scaring people or others yelling at him for not wearing it and scaring him.  Woohoo, so we're on the ship!

We had connecting balcony cabins on 9 aft, great choice and I'd book these again.  Super easy to Lido deck. I did hear people above a couple of nights but it wasn't that big a deal. 

We booked close to sailing and got stuck with late dining, and I'd explained to special needs that we needed our own table. Was thrilled to find that we had early dining at a great table.  Here's a hint, request table #300 in the Vista dining room if anyone in your party is ASD.  The table has a wall behind, a wall on one side, and huge window on the other.  Quiet and great views, the absolutely best table we've ever had on any ship.  Servers were great and accommodating of DS.

We ate at Pig and Anchor for dinner twice.  Once because I didn't read the fine print and we showed up at the steakhouse w/ DS in shorts.  I hadn't packed him any long pants so all of a sudden we needed somewhere to eat so tried the P and A.  Service was outstanding and DH and DS loved the food.  I loved the onion rings...I'd been eating all day and wasn't that hungry.  Went back again another night and the server remembered us and our drink orders, super nice guy. Food in general was great.  It always makes me laugh when people say there isn't enough selection at the buffet....really?  I wonder what these people make at home?  I personally do not do 5 different versions of eggs every morning, or toast 10 different kinds of bread, etc...  DH and I did Teppanyaki lunch one day.  Fun, and they cooked our filet rare as requested, but I wouldn't need to do this again.

Activities were enjoyable.  DH and I had a lovely afternoon sitting in the Ocean Plaza playing trivia games and eating the strawberry cheesecake from Java Blue.  If you like cheesecake I'd definitely recommend trying this one. 

Disembarkation was handled in the same manner as embarkation.  I spoke to a woman in guest services the day before, and we were whisked off the ship quickly and with a minimum of fuss.  

Carnival's service was outstanding.  DS enjoyed the cruise and wants to go again, so a win.

• Like 9

So glad that your son had a fantastic cruise- no doubt this was a special vacation for you all to alleviate the tension of the past few years. 

Thanks for sharing - sounds like you had as wonderful a cruise as we did! 

This is great so glad you had a good time!  I just wonder about the steakhouse being so strict about the shorts..especially with someone with special needs. What if your son had sensory issues and couldn't wear long pants? 

ps I agree with you about the buffet

49 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

I just wonder about the steakhouse being so strict about the shorts..especially with someone with special needs. What if your son had sensory issues and couldn't wear long pants? 

I probably could have tried pushing the issue, but DS doesn't like to see any type of argument or confrontation, and tbh the service had been so outstanding I didn't want to argue about something that was my fault.  We'll reserve again for next time, and I'll make sure DS has long pants.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, edspec said:

I probably could have tried pushing the issue, but DS doesn't like to see any type of argument or confrontation, and tbh the service had been so outstanding I didn't want to argue about something that was my fault.  We'll reserve again for next time, and I'll make sure DS has long pants.

You have a great go-with-the-flow attitude!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, edspec said:

Inspired by@JillK  and her excellent review, I've decided to share my family's experience on 9-16 Panorama sailing.  

My 32 year old son is autistic, and the pandemic has effectively isolated him for the past 2.5 years.  DH and I are both pretty sure the staff at his day program scared the life out of him in regards to Covid.  Then his day program shut down and even though programs have started up they are not the 9-3 M-F  as they were.  In person two half days a week, then  virtual, basically a much diminished service...which doesn't matter to DS because he refused to go back anyway.  All the above to say that I was desperate to get DS out of the house and experiencing life again.  He did not share the same drive and was unhappy every time I talked about the cruise (often 🙂 )

Glad to hear your cruise was a success.  Those people who aren't part of the ASD world have no understanding or compassion how horrid the COVID everything was for folks between the death counts, the shutdowns, masks, "social distancing", programs closing.  

• Like 2

We love sailing the Panorama(3 cruises now) but also Carnival in general because of the great care they take with our son and he enjoys his cruises although now that he is an adult there is admittedly less for him to do other than the pool and the arcade.  Booked on the new Jubilee next so we will see how he likes that one with the roller coaster.

Glad to hear you had a good cruise, and CCL did a good job with your son.  My special needs dd34 has been cruising with us since 7 years old.  We just completed our 29th CCL cruise, where we reached Diamond status.  One reason we like CCL is that all staff is wonderful with her - very patient -where sometimes we parents are not as patient! 

2 hours ago, kdr69 said:

Interesting...I can hardly get mine to take it off even when hes outside.

Now gloves are another matter.  DS wears black leather gloves EVERYWHERE! DH and I think in response to the initial chatter that you could get Covid from surfaces.  Shorts, light shirt, flip flops and gloves. Oh well, as he ages his hands will look great.

• Like 2