Independence - 4 night Bahamas Trip - July 25th

Hi everyone 

I love reading little blogs on here and wrote one for Brilliance in May. Here we are again hopefully boarding Independence for 4 nights (10yo step daughter needs her antigen test at port - pray for us!). I wish her father and mother had got her vaccinated as we travel so much but never something I’m interfering with! My step mother duties extend to hugs, listening and fun, not actual parenting :))

Anyway - we are a little family of three Tommy and I (Catherine) both 40 from London England and Miss Mia 10.  We work in the city and love holidays to destress. We have 2 weeks in wonderful Florida - 1 night pre cruise, 4 nights cruise, 6 nights Disney, 4 nights universal. 

We flew in yesterday to Miami (Orlando was so much more expensive / air mile related) so we booked an extortionate Blacklane car to drive us up to port canaveral last night. We were out of Miami airport in 30 minutes - amazing!  Drive was great and took 2:50 - he floored it! We’re staying at the Home2 Suites by hiliton 10 mins from pier. It’s so overpriced - 280 dollars (see the breakfast below!). But presume it’s like this because either we booked from UK and it’s more expensive for us or 2. The location to port just makes it this expensive. But hotel has served it’s purpose and we walked to see the ship this morning 🙂

Here’s some pics of the flight and the hotel breakfast - was a bit of a surprise this morning ! 

35F33998-DC78-4178-8927-5F9133BF1CCB.jpeg

46E949B0-11C2-4E0B-8E1C-93E4D0306B65.jpeg

F932C00A-875C-47DB-8314-08A65E283436.jpeg

9EA9E534-9028-456A-B301-073D882EAE9F.jpeg

C6EE661F-6125-42A6-8230-6849C8664DAE.jpeg

Edited by blondcat
  • Like 4

So plan today - we had a check in slot for 12 noon but the concierge chap messaged last week and asked what time we would be arriving - he said we didn’t have to wait until 12 and could board around 11. I had tried to sort out a car from the Hilton to port but none seem to do it - presume it’s just too short a distance so was really pleased to see this sign last night when we checked in as literally had no idea how we were going to get there! 

5172C5F0-6248-4B79-8F60-91AEA46EE03F.jpeg

They had 2 slots 1045 or 1115 so we picked 1045 and paid 24 dollars for the 3 of us - perfect!

we have to be downstairs at 1030 so we’re having a lazy start to the day and will head down then. Really hope no dramas at the port - we have all our vaccine stuff just need Mia to be negative! She had her PCR on Friday so fingers crossed 🙂

Edited by blondcat
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Just got off of a week on Indy this past Friday. Had a great time as usual.

If you have any Indy or Cococay specific questions, ask away! Either way, have a great cruise!

Oh awesome thanks Mike! We have booked my time dining for this trip as the late sitting is too late for us and early sitting too early! Is it a nightmare ? I’m sure I’d read somewhere it was a bit of an ordeal with the queues.

with coco cay - we have the water park booked and a day bed - I know the ship docks early, but do you know what time the water park / slides open? Just trying to work out what order to do things - should we sort the day bed first or just hit the slides before (I presume) the lines get super long ? Any other tips greatly appreciated! 

1 hour ago, blondcat said:

Oh awesome thanks Mike! We have booked my time dining for this trip as the late sitting is too late for us and early sitting too early! Is it a nightmare ? I’m sure I’d read somewhere it was a bit of an ordeal with the queues.

with coco cay - we have the water park booked and a day bed - I know the ship docks early, but do you know what time the water park / slides open? Just trying to work out what order to do things - should we sort the day bed first or just hit the slides before (I presume) the lines get super long ? Any other tips greatly appreciated! 

Naturally you asked questions I can't really answer, lol.

We don't eat in the MDR much (my wife is picky and I'm not a huge fan) and didn't use MTD. From what I've read, make reservations ASAP rather than just showing up.

I have never been to the water park (no kids) and don't know exactly when it opens but I do know the line for the big slide can get EXTREMELY long. It seems logical to get settled at your day bed first but my understanding is you want to get to that water slide line ASAP just as you guessed.

I can certainly recommend the food on Cococay. There are snack shacks (one inside the water park) with very good fried chicken sandwiches, mozzarella sticks, and funnel cakes (I've had UK friends tell me they don't know what a funnel cake is, if that's you, google it, then try it, they're amazing).

The other included places to eat are Chill Grill and Skippers Grill (same exact menu). They have a nice taco bar, burgers, hot dogs, some sandwiches, brownies, cookies, etc. They also have ice cream machines similar to on the ship. You can put the ice cream between two large chocolate chip cookies for a wonderful ice cream sandwich.

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Naturally you asked questions I can't really answer, lol.

We don't eat in the MDR much (my wife is picky and I'm not a huge fan) and didn't use MTD. From what I've read, make reservations ASAP rather than just showing up.

I have never been to the water park (no kids) and don't know exactly when it opens but I do know the line for the big slide can get EXTREMELY long. It seems logical to get settled at your day bed first but my understanding is you want to get to that water slide line ASAP just as you guessed.

I can certainly recommend the food on Cococay. There are snack shacks (one inside the water park) with very good fried chicken sandwiches, mozzarella sticks, and funnel cakes (I've had UK friends tell me they don't know what a funnel cake is, if that's you, google it, then try it, they're amazing).

The other included places to eat are Chill Grill and Skippers Grill (same exact menu). They have a nice taco bar, burgers, hot dogs, some sandwiches, brownies, cookies, etc. They also have ice cream machines similar to on the ship. You can put the ice cream between two large chocolate chip cookies for a wonderful ice cream sandwich.

No that’s super helpful! Even knowing my hunch on the queues is helpful - I also didn’t know you could book MTD slot?! Will investigate 🙂

7 minutes ago, blondcat said:

Mia negative and we’re on the ship and in the most beautiful stateroom. Carl the concierge met us in the check in area and gave us a tour. Just about to pour a glass 🙂

B1F950F6-4C66-4622-B6DA-2037ED018D82.jpeg

I recognize that room. Very nice. 

What airline did you fly? Can't recognize this layout. Maybe Virgin.🤔

Screenshot_20220725-123726_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4184624de378bb19970fe2f889cd03a1.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

Hi! I shall be following excitedly as we are UK travellers on Indie in August with daughter and family. May I ask what you did about antigen tests please? All are vaccinated. 😁

34 minutes ago, Jevsy said:

Hi! I shall be following excitedly as we are UK travellers on Indie in August with daughter and family. May I ask what you did about antigen tests please? All are vaccinated. 😁

Hi Jevsy! I always use DocHq for the supervised antigen - they post you the kit and then watch you do the test. 20 quid each - really slick - certificate issued whilst they are still on the phone with you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, F27TW said:

Ohhhhh  ..  Upper Class on Virgin and the big suite .. they fancy people!

I don’t want to come over all showy so will just post stuff on the main things not the fancy room ☺️

We just got off the Indy after a very nice weekend cruise. Had a Jr Suite wonderful room. This cruise we decided to eat at MD instead of the speciality restaurants. Next cruise we go back to speciality restaurants. MD food was so so. Small steaks, no flavor with the chicken parm. Very disappointed . Also we arrived early at Nassau 8:00 am then we had to leave at 2:30.  Wanted to go to Fish Fry  walked to catch a taxi and they informed us Fish Fry doesn't open till 12:00 am.  So we walked around the block and went back on the ship. There was 6 ships in. Lots of people all over the place. The walk to the end of the pier is a long way. Then to get attacked by all tour guides, taxi drivers, and people tons of people trying to fiqure out what to do or where to go is quite dauting .  Plus then to be back at 2:30.  Really wish they wouldn't even stop at Nassau.  Perfect Day was nice. Like it is all the time. Does anyone think the same as us.  

22 minutes ago, blondcat said:

I don’t want to come over all showy so will just post stuff on the main things not the fancy room ☺️

No, we want suite information. We did it on Serenade 5 years ago. 

Maybe your stepdaughter playing the piano video.😁

You can fake it, it's a player😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blondcat said:

Please do! We have enjoyed the Royal Suite on Enchantment and Mariner, would love to hear about your suite. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisewiththekids said:

What are the waterpark tickets costing lately?  We sail on a 3nt at the end of August, and the price has been $97.99 since I booked a couple months ago.  

So we get billed in ££ and it was £233.40 which at an exchange rate of 1.21 is $289 - pricey!! We bought a vodka soda and heinekin zero - 21 USD!! I mean that’s eye watering IMHO. That’s more expensive than the Ritz. 

2 hours ago, blondcat said:

Another vote for more suite pictures please!

Looking forward to following along with you on Indy. We were on her in December and had a great cruise. Hope you do, too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbmwistex said:

We just got off the Indy after a very nice weekend cruise. Had a Jr Suite wonderful room. This cruise we decided to eat at MD instead of the speciality restaurants. Next cruise we go back to speciality restaurants. MD food was so so. Small steaks, no flavor with the chicken parm. Very disappointed . Also we arrived early at Nassau 8:00 am then we had to leave at 2:30.  Wanted to go to Fish Fry  walked to catch a taxi and they informed us Fish Fry doesn't open till 12:00 am.  So we walked around the block and went back on the ship. There was 6 ships in. Lots of people all over the place. The walk to the end of the pier is a long way. Then to get attacked by all tour guides, taxi drivers, and people tons of people trying to fiqure out what to do or where to go is quite dauting .  Plus then to be back at 2:30.  Really wish they wouldn't even stop at Nassau.  Perfect Day was nice. Like it is all the time. Does anyone think the same as us.  

I don’t understand some of the port decisions / timings / shore excursions they come up with. In Mykonos the beach excursion ended about 4 hours before departure - there was a boarder line mutiny at the beach club. I’m exaggerating but meh. This cruise was supposed to be a 3 port stop but they cancelled grand Bahama. We’re doing pearl beach tomorrow - they’re always so over priced but I’m such a scaredy cat, too frightened to do something besides an RCL excursion.  

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

No, we want suite information. We did it on Serenade 5 years ago. 

Maybe your stepdaughter playing the piano video.😁

You can fake it, it's a player😉

She actually had a go earlier -  it was so bad I thought we might get kicked off! 🤣 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Royally Ready to cruise said:

Following.  First time RCL cruise in a 2 bedroom suite on Indie in 2 weeks!  Have no idea what to expect. 

Oh I’m so excited for you! Have you cruised with any other line before ? What is the itinerary ? 😃

Id love to do a week on this ship