Seeking thoughts on the Panorama vs its older siblings (Radiance and Miracle)

juanarcin

I always fly out for cruises since most  have been European or Asian (I've only done 9), but right before the pandemic, I had some time off. I decided to take a solo cruise and skip the flight since I live in Los Angeles and have a port at driving distance. I booked a cruise to Ensenada on the Miracle and I was shocked at how bad of a time I had! The ship seemed like it was falling apart, the food was steps below other ships, the people were rude and aggressive... I didn't let it ruin my trip, but was just shocked as this single experience had tainted my idea that all cruises were amazing. I took another one about a year later on the Radiance and it was the same thing! I learned that booze cruises are not what I'm into.

Now here we are years later and my wife and I decided to introduce some of our family to cruising. We were thinking of taking a small group somewhere like New Orleans, or New York and doing a cruise from there. But as we asked who would be interested we were surprised to see how many signed up...now with 15 people on board, we decided we should keep it simple and just have everyone drive down to Long Beach... you can see where this is going LOL!

So obviously the Panorama is much newer and larger. But I have been hyping up cruises to my family and now that I will be taking 15 of them on one, I'm starting to get nervous. I'm concerned that the issues are more based on itinerary, locals (I'm from LA so I understand how "animated" we can be), or maybe even Carnival (most of my cruises have been RCL). But to be fair the other two ships were short 3-4 day cruises on old smaller ships. Our upcoming one will be 7 day on a newer larger ship. So I'm 95% positive it will be a closer experience to what I'm used to on my 11 day RCL cruises, but wanted to hear from others who have sailed out of long beach on these ships. I just need help going from 95% to 100%! LOL

Either way I'm sure we will make the best of it and enjoy ourselves.

Edited by juanarcin
  • Like 2

We have cruised out of Long Beach for about 35 years and been on just about every ship that goes out of there - can't think of one we haven't at the moment.  Panorama is vastly different than the Radiance and the Miracle.  I can't say we had bad times on the Radiance and Miracle, we knew the ships, no specialty restaurants, smaller, etc., the Panorama is a fairly new ship (we went on one of their first cruises) with lots of specialty restaurants, bars, outdoor spaces set up to enjoy the outdoors more.  We are booked on the 9/3 cruise and I am looking forward to trying her again.  Also, understand that no ship seems to be up to pre-pandemic level, mostly due to lower staffing, but that will be any ship, any line.

• Like 7

Kind of in a similar situation!  The Carnival Glory was my first ship, and so she has my heart.  I actually think it's a great ship, I love the layout, and she might be old, but she is very charming.  Of course, she lacks a lot of things that the new ships have.

Anyway, we booked another cruise for the Glory for February, and decided to have our wedding ceremony at sea on this cruise!  

Well, now people want to come along lol.  My brother, who is a coming from mostly RC Oasis class ships is trying Carnival for the first time, and I'm a little nervous that this is going to be a very different experience for him and may put him off from Carnival lol.

Another friend is joining, and this will be their first cruise!  Which I guess is good, because there is nothing better to compare it too, but also worried that it won't give the best representation of cruising can offer.

All that to say, I can't speak to your exact situation too much, I haven't been on the Panorama, but I have been on sister ship the Horizon, and I think that ship gives a good representation of the nicer side of Carnival.  I would be a lot less nervous for that ship than one of the smaller, older ships that you've experience, like Radiance or Miracle, on a shorter sailing.  I had a great time on the Horizon and thought it was a great ship!  Not quite RC Oasis class, but had a lot to offer.    

• Like 3

1 hour ago, juanarcin said:

But to be fair the other two ships were short 3-4 day cruises on old smaller ships. Our upcoming one will be 7 day on a newer larger ship. So I'm 95% positive it will be a closer experience to what I'm used to o

I think this is the key.  I am on the west coast also, so we sail out of California a fair amount.

We have been on over 20 Carnival cruises (9 within the last year).  We have tried everything from their smallest Fantasy class (out of Long Beach) to the newest/biggest Mardi Gras and many in between.  I agree that the shorter cruises tend to be "booze cruises".  It's simply a different crowd than you find on the longer itineraries (2 weeks/Hawaii was an incredibly low key type of crowd). 

Having said that it also depends on what you like to experience.  We typically avoid the crowds (never go near the pools/hot tubs) and just want to get some sun/rest/relax/a little exercise on our cruises, so the type of crowd we are sailing with doesn't really impact us all that much.

We have not done Panorama yet (going in about a month) but we have been on her sister ships and really enjoyed them.  Before Mardi Gras they were the cool, new, big ships with lots of fun things to do.

• Like 2

I think you'll be fine introducing your family to Carnival cruising on the Panorama. I've been on both the Miracle (10 days to Alaska) and Panorama (7 days to Mexican Riviera) this year and had a great time on both. They are different ships due to age, amenities, layout and overall ship design/decor with the Panorama providing a more upscale experience and neither was a short booze cruise. Keep in mind that for whatever reasons people on the same cruise can sometimes have vastly different experiences. I hope you are able to enjoy what sounds like a great family cruise.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, kdr69 said:

I love the Panorama been on her 3 times so far.  Great entertainment, Great venues and food.

Yep,  I agree …. been on her twice since 2021. I love that ship ❣️❣️  I hope Carnival keep the Panorama here in Long Beach for quite awhile. 😁😁

For too long we have had older ships.

And to answer the OP — I’ve enjoyed the Radiance & the Miracle. Had wonderful cruises. But, since you asked … I’d definitely take everybody on the Panorama.

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 3

We were on Panorama this past March (me, hubs, 16 yo boy) -supposedly full as it was Spring Break time. Never had issues finding chairs on Lido, nor issues finding spots on Serenity, we did the mini golf almost every night after dinner, did the sky ride several times (usually a line here but easy to keep an eye out an hit it with smaller waits). Service was great. Even the Guys burger line seemed to move fast and it seemed no one ever wanted Blue Iguana in am?? More for me! Alchemy bar was a BLAST-we were there every night and the last night the bartenders made special "goodbye" drinks for our group (people we met at the bar that like us-showed up every night lol) Only thing that was a bit of disappointment were the comedians that sailing (usually they are quite good-this group was bad).

Do the Rhythm of the Nights excursion through Carnival-easily one of the best excursions we've ever done!

Ship size was also great-big enough it was pretty easy to find quiet spots but not so big it took 20 minutes to walk from one end to other. 

Have a great time!!

• Like 4

Was on Panorama last month.  Ive sailed 3 lines, big and small ships. Older and newer. Ive really enjoyed them all.  

If im being hypercritical here is what i didnt like about Panorama. 

*limited buffet spread.  I miss having 2x the options.  

*Guy's new fries.  Blah.  

*flying to LA from the midwest, with a layover in Utah.  

Other than that nothing but good times.  Beautiful ship.  

• Like 3

We have sailed Panorama 9 times since January and like the layout and design of the ship. We used to sail Miracle for years so after 9 Panorama sailings we booked a 5 day cruise on Miracle in April of this year. We were sorry we did. After the bright and light filled interiors of Panorama the Miracle was as dark as a cave and gloomy. 

• Like 3

We sailed the Radiance on a three-day cruise in March.  While we had fun, I found the food wasn't that good.  I chalked it up to the restart and it being a smaller ship.  Other than that, it was a good time.

We also sailed the Panorama at the end of May and LOVED IT!  We had an awesome time.  Loved the food, the specialty restaurants, Camp Ocean, the staff.  Was just a great experience.  We cruised on the Mardi Gras in July and, honestly, we kind of prefer the Panorama.  

That said, we're sailing on the Miracle in December.  Never sailed that ship, but looking forward to trying something new.

Edited by jerseygirlinAZ
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 12:35 PM, csm5986142 said:

I think this is the key.  I am on the west coast also, so we sail out of California a fair amount.

We have been on over 20 Carnival cruises (9 within the last year).  We have tried everything from their smallest Fantasy class (out of Long Beach) to the newest/biggest Mardi Gras and many in between.  I agree that the shorter cruises tend to be "booze cruises".  It's simply a different crowd than you find on the longer itineraries (2 weeks/Hawaii was an incredibly low key type of crowd). 

Having said that it also depends on what you like to experience.  We typically avoid the crowds (never go near the pools/hot tubs) and just want to get some sun/rest/relax/a little exercise on our cruises, so the type of crowd we are sailing with doesn't really impact us all that much.

We have not done Panorama yet (going in about a month) but we have been on her sister ships and really enjoyed them.  Before Mardi Gras they were the cool, new, big ships with lots of fun things to do.

Please post a review on the Panorama! Thanks 

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 10:30 AM, havanadaydreaming said:

Was on Panorama last month.  Ive sailed 3 lines, big and small ships. Older and newer. Ive really enjoyed them all.  

If im being hypercritical here is what i didnt like about Panorama. 

*limited buffet spread.  I miss having 2x the options.  

*Guy's new fries.  Blah.  

*flying to LA from the midwest, with a layover in Utah.  

Other than that nothing but good times.  Beautiful ship.  

Suggestion, fly into Long Beach airport if possible. Night and day difference. Aren't you on the Vista right now? We are on the next one. What did you think?

• Like 2

I won't book on the larger ships until Carnival figures out staffing. The Panorama in March had lines for just about every food venue, the buffet area is huge but they only set up one side on many meal times.  Pizza line is 30 minutes and it was at least 20 minutes for each drink at any bar.  They need about 100 more service staff on our sailing. The last cruise we have booked is DEC on the Miracle and i'm really hoping the line issues have been resolved, especially on a ship with less passengers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have sailed on many cruises out of southern CA and on different lines. The Panorama is one of my favorites and I always cruise in the Hanava Cabanas. She is one of the best Carnival ships for me. I also sailed on Radiance and had a great time on that. They are different experiences and it really depends on what you are looking for. The buffet on Carnival for me has got worse and worse so I avoid it. Main dining is fine. 

Really depends on what you are looking for. Radiance is less money than Panorama and of course also does shorter itineraries. If you possibly can then choose Panorama. Radiance is a very different ship to Panorama but you can have a great cruise on both

On 7/29/2022 at 9:24 AM, kdr69 said:

I love the Panorama been on her 3 times so far.  Great entertainment, Great venues and food.

I agree, been on Panorama 3x myself since Sept 21 and its a great ship, Miracle was too Purple for me, not as nice as Spirit but these Spirit Class ships are a perfect size for the number of passengers and very easy to navigate. Radiance is ok if you are into the Shaq's Big Chicken. As far as all 3, Panorama for sure, it's a great ship, great service all around.

Fred

• Like 4

On 8/30/2022 at 9:06 AM, helene109 said:

Please post a review on the Panorama! Thanks 

Helene, I think I posted all of my Panorama reviews on my Roll Calls, Let me see if I can look them up and link them here.

Panorama Roll Call 18 Dec 2021

Panorama Roll Call 13 Nov 2021

Panorama Roll Call 18 Sep 2021

Heres the start of the November one;

Edited by Wennfred
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

I won't book on the larger ships until Carnival figures out staffing. The Panorama in March had lines for just about every food venue, the buffet area is huge but they only set up one side on many meal times.  Pizza line is 30 minutes and it was at least 20 minutes for each drink at any bar.  They need about 100 more service staff on our sailing. The last cruise we have booked is DEC on the Miracle and i'm really hoping the line issues have been resolved, especially on a ship with less passengers.

Those 3 times I sailed last year, it was limited passengers so I could imagine how full Panorama is today, my last Sailing in Dec 2021 was like 4001 passengers or so, it still felt roomy. I think that Panorama was fully staffed last year, maybe the numbers dropped by March because I recall the Crew Members telling me that their contracts would be over and by March, that's an 8-month contract.

Edited by Wennfred
  • Thanks 1

Juanarcin, I prefer sailing on the small ships, even smaller than the Spirit class but those days are over, I was on a 48,500 GT, Empress of the Seas in 2019 that took us to Cuba and that was a sweet size, not crowded and I could count maybe 12 kids on that ship. So yes, Nice and Peaceful, but I must say that Panorama for the size 133,500 GT, it also has a perfect layout that flows pretty good.

Fred

• Like 1