Observations From The Poop Deck (Seashore)

morpheusofthesea

6 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Yes. Every shop manager has their own interpretation of these offers. Went into Logo Shop and had to ask for the discount from the sales girl who had rung up the regular price. Bought $100 of chocolate bars. She had to call the shop manager to over ride the transaction. The manager only knocked $10 off the $100 instead of $20. So we only bought half the amount.

P.S. Had the chocolate bars been for DW I would not have gotten away with purchasing half the amount.

On the Divina in May they had a bunch of Mars Bars expiring in two days.  They were normally circa $1.25 but because of the expiration date they were 20¢ each.  I bought 50 of them and all the neighbors indulged at home.  They were delish.  What a windfall.  Right place at the right time I guess, lol

1 hour ago, Seadweller001 said:

On the Divina in May they had a bunch of Mars Bars expiring in two days.  They were normally circa $1.25 but because of the expiration date they were 20¢ each.  I bought 50 of them and all the neighbors indulged at home.  They were delish.  What a windfall.  Right place at the right time I guess, lol

Could have saved them for October Trick or treat.

5 hours ago, travelwide said:

Glad all is going well this week. Can you find out who will be replacing Robert when he goes on vacation on August 20th. As always, thanks for your help.

Spoke to Mr. B. He believes his replacement is Hugh (something?) coming from the Divina. Dining staff are being replaced by Brazilians.

Today is the seafood extravaganza at the One Pool deck buffet. We ate in the air conditioned comfort of the YC restaurant with 6 others (at separate tables). Then observed something that never happened before. The best piano player on board began playing in the TSL...(for just 6 guests?). Our waiter was missing ? Thought perhaps he was needed at the seafood extravaganza ? Then found out that Chef Lisa was back in the kitchen called away from her post overseeing the One Pool extravaganza. What was going on? We had a great relief waiter (no harm, no foul). During our dessert our normal waiter comes over and apologizes. He was called away to the other side of the YC restaurant which was closed off and tucked away in the back was the Captain and 4 officers and 4 guests having lunch. So the piano serenade, our waiter, the YC Chef were all 'on call' for this group. Do not think the four guests were family, must be Owner's Suites is our guess? (Though we were not treated to the same lunch offer in January or February while in the OS, perhaps because we all were more socially distance at that time?).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Came up to One Pool deck to scope out the fare. Did not see any lobster tails. Did notice the group of 19 again. All tables were taken. Is this 'grist for the mill'?

At what point do you say, "Enough is enough?"

I might quietly mention to YC Director that this group seems to be abusing the YC hospitality "offered " to them for one dinner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phissy said:

At what point do you say, "Enough is enough?"

I might quietly mention to YC Director that this group seems to be abusing the YC hospitality "offered " to them for one dinner.

We think it should be left to those that are inconvenienced. We are not saying anything about the Captain 'trumping' our lunch, with taking our waiter.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

YC restaurant which was closed off and tucked away in the back was the Captain and 4 officers and 4 guests having lunch. 

Pretty sure they were not "regular" guests, or Top Suite Guests. We also have always sailed Top Suites and never received any special invitations or offers.

Our last cruise had MSC USA Miami corporate onboard. This instance, I suspect that they were either MSC execs or travel agent execs with large agency that services MSC USA cruises. (We saw this a lot on NCL Haven cruises at the ports)

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, morpheusofthesea said:

We think it should be left to those that are inconvenienced. We are not saying anything about the Captain 'trumping' our lunch, with taking our waiter.

I agree that the first option should always be -  SMOOTH WATERS. 

Making waves not always the best option.

30 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Here is some news I cannot find on the internet. Mr. B . said there is going to be a new MSC ship based in Miami in 2024 called World America.

According to marinevesseltraffic.com, Vessel MSC World America is a passenger ship sailing under the flag of Barbados. Her IMO number is 3141516 and MMSI number is 314151622. Main ship particulars are length of 330 m and beam of 47 m.

Those numbers look suspiciously made up .. almost the digits in pi to a point.

Perhaps this is one of the other three sisters of World Europa.

Edited by publicpersona
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:23 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Well there was a 'curfuffle' last night in the Yacht Club Restaurant. It would appear that certain people can and do intimidate their way into the YC restaurant for lobster night and are not charged for the privilege. A group of 19 took up 3 tables, 10 of which are understood to have cabins in the YC the other 9 had cabins on deck 9 ?  Just pointing out that many report this never happens. It in no way affected us and we have not 'heard' if any YC guest was disturbed by this.

Hmmm my first thought is maybe those folks on deck 9 were moved from YC but are still able to use the YC dining.  
A longtime member on here had that happen. He booked and paid for YC but was moved to deck 8 (if I remember correctly) but his docs still said YC privileges. His name is Steve CC name divina??? Can’t remember exactly. 
Anyone else remember this? 

27 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Hmmm my first thought is maybe those folks on deck 9 were moved from YC but are still able to use the YC dining.  
A longtime member on here had that happen. He booked and paid for YC but was moved to deck 8 (if I remember correctly) but his docs still said YC privileges. His name is Steve CC name divina??? Can’t remember exactly. 

Though possible, not in this case. This kurfuffle began at the tent boarding

• Like 2

4 hours ago, phissy said:

I agree that the first option should always be -  SMOOTH WATERS. 

Making waves not always the best option.

I agree.  If there are some "big wigs" aboard, the service staff will be "more on their toes" maybe more than usual.  On HAL, I have experienced this when CCL CEO Arnold Donald was aboard.  

1 hour ago, styles27 said:

Deb,

Steve has posted about the Salsa Cruise fiasco from last year.

He has ongoing issue with MSC that has not been resolved, at all.

He paid for YC Suite on Divina. MSC changed private chartered group ( Salsa Cruise) from Armonia to Divina.  Salsa Cruise people wanted the YC.

his booking was changed and result was deck 8 and NO Access to YC. MSC never refunded any portion of cruise fare. He paid for YC and never received what was contracted for.

The current situation seems to be large group where YC members let their friends into YC and hope no one will object.

Does not seem right for all those who paid for YC privilege. 
Good to hear from you, take care.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Perhaps this is one of the other three sisters of World Europa.

The World America name leaked a while ago but nothing official has been announced. Since World Europa had a name change (MSC Europa), nobody is/was sure what the next ship in the class would be named. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2022 at 12:28 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Do not see how MSC new concept Explora Journeys can improve this YC concept. When there are only 300 YC 'prima donnas' out of 6000 passengers the butlers can perform their 'miracles'. But to have the entire ship of only 750 'prima donnas' there is no one to butt in front of. No class distinction. Feel one must keep to Seaside class of ships to get the 'ROYAL' treatment.

P.S. This Emperor has no clothes.

As I have mentioned here before, when everyone is special, then no one  is special.

gary

• Like 1

14 hours ago, styles27 said:

We are reminded of him very often!

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, phissy said:

Deb,

Steve has posted about the Salsa Cruise fiasco from last year.

He has ongoing issue with MSC that has not been resolved, at all.

He paid for YC Suite on Divina. MSC changed private chartered group ( Salsa Cruise) from Armonia to Divina.  Salsa Cruise people wanted the YC.

his booking was changed and result was deck 8 and NO Access to YC. MSC never refunded any portion of cruise fare. He paid for YC and never received what was contracted for.

The current situation seems to be large group where YC members let their friends into YC and hope no one will object.

Does not seem right for all those who paid for YC privilege. 
Good to hear from you, take care.

Hi Pat! I hope you and your family are staying well and enjoying your summer!

Thank you! I couldn’t remember the details of Steve’s story only tidbits (happening a lot more lately) 🙈

I don’t understand how anyone can enjoy themselves when they know they didn’t pay to be in the YC but they’re using the YC services anyway. All to save a few thousand dollars…hardly seems worth the trouble and angst. 

• Like 2