Unvaccinated Cruisers

1 hour ago, dada2199cc said:

I'm not vaccinated, so I don't have a reference point, but from what I've read, I agree.  The omicron strain is more flu-like, less lethal, regardless of vaccination or booster status, and most of the boosters are only effective against omicron for a very very short period of time.

We will all get omicron.  I've had it, TWICE (BA.4 for sure, probably BA.5, but had no symptoms EITHER time and only found out when I helped a friend self-test and joined them).

I am so ready to cruise and be done with this madness so in  year folks see I'm not the plague.

Covid isn’t like the flu.  It has many different symptoms.  Comparisons are somewhat silly.  For many though covid is more like a deep cough, sore throat, or cold.  I can only remember ever having a confirmed flu once (confirmed by testing).  I was in my 30s and was in top notch shape.  It knocked me

on my butt for days before I finally did all I could to get to my doctor’s office.  Took a week solid not to be bed ridden.  My Covid case was nothing like when I had the flu.  Absolutely zero in similarity.  

Covid clearly is differs a lot among people, so some may get knocked hard by it.  But for most it isn’t like the flu at all.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

for those of us that contracted covid onboard the ship, that philosophy does not hold h2o...The captain begged folks to don their masks and we had to sit there and watch hundreds of folks laughing and making jokes about the captain's wishes ......Got very very  sick and i dont things are "back to normal" unless you condone watching people suffer like we did.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, retired dude said:

for those of us that contracted covid onboard the ship, that philosophy does not hold h2o...The captain begged folks to don their masks and we had to sit there and watch hundreds of folks laughing and making jokes about the captain's wishes ......Got very very  sick and i dont things are "back to normal" unless you condone watching people suffer like we did.....

This was recently? 

I’m vaccinated and double boosted and hope to get the new booster before my mid October cruise. I’ve been careful and lucky not to have had Covid yet. I have several friends with long Covid. Even though most vaccinated have mild symptoms now, the hospitalizations are up again and deaths are now up to nearly 500 a day. Mostly unvaccinated, which makes me wonder how often ships will be forced skip scheduled ports for medical emergencies. With more unvaccinated there are more likely to have those with more severe symptoms that can’t be treated on board. I read on here from those unvaccinated that have had Covid several times and not had severe disease but there are many that are not that lucky. I am anxious to cruise again but don’t want to bring Covid home to my family. My first cruise is to Bermuda and as of now all over 11 have to be vaccinated and all tested. I can understand that small island countries need the tourism but don’t want to raise their Covid rates and cause illness and death to their citizens.

I understand the sentiment of wanting to get back to normal but I believe it it’s a new normal we have to live with.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, FlorenceItaly said:

I am vaccinated and double boosted.  Most recent booster on June 16, 2022.  I assumed the COVID risk when I boarded a ship last week.  I returned home on Sunday.  I have COVID.  It is mild which I am thankful for.  This is the first time for me.  My husband is negative.  We have avoided this virus for the past few years.  We have continued to live and enjoy life.  We only wear masks when mandated.  Again, I gambled and lost.  We have 2 cruises coming up before the end of the year.  I have no idea whether we will go or not.  

Just curious you say you gambled and lost. What did you lose? I am fully vaxed and have had covid twice. It is an endemic illness at this point. Losing would be not going on vacation at all over what you yourself say is a cold with mild symptoms. The testing needs to end. It does nothing to prevent illness on the ship. Every single cruise is coming home with a percentage of those who traveled positive at this point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There is no “lifetime” requirement for a vaccine.  

The 2 terms, inoculation, and vaccine, are completely synonymous in this context. 

vac·cine
/vakˈsēn/

noun

1. a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases.

Where is the immunity?

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:
vac·cine
/vakˈsēn/

noun

1. a substance used to stimulate the production of antibodies and provide immunity against one or several diseases.

Where is the immunity?

You are aware they changed the definition of vaccine when all this started right?  The definition of vaccine on  August 8, 2020 on Dictionary.com was this:

" any preparation used as a preventive inoculation to confer immunity against a specific disease, usually employing an innocuous form of the disease agent, as killed or weakened bacteria or viruses, to stimulate antibody production."
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Just curious you say you gambled and lost. What did you lose? I am fully vaxed and have had covid twice. It is an endemic illness at this point. Losing would be not going on vacation at all over what you yourself say is a cold with mild symptoms. The testing needs to end. It does nothing to prevent illness on the ship. Every single cruise is coming home with a percentage of those who traveled positive at this point. 

We have traveled extensively over the past two years including internationally in May to Germany.   We have flown in May, June, July, and will again in a few weeks.   I vacation plenty.  There are many ways to vacation other than cruising.  I gambled with my health and now my time since I am in quarantine.  I am VERY lucky it is a mild case.  It is a choice I made, but, not sure I will for my two upcoming cruises that are in September and November.   I am keeping my 16 day TA in May 2023 on the calendar since it is too far away to even speculate.  Plus, it is a comp cruise with HAL.  I DO realize you can get COVID anywhere.  My observation and experience is there is a greater risk with cruising.  To each their own.  There is no right or wrong.  It is a very personal decision.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mickeychicky said:

You are aware they changed the definition of vaccine when all this started right?  The definition of vaccine on  August 8, 2020 on Dictionary.com was this:

" any preparation used as a preventive inoculation to confer immunity against a specific disease, usually employing an innocuous form of the disease agent, as killed or weakened bacteria or viruses, to stimulate antibody production."

Either way. Where is the immunity? I have no doubt that what they injected us with has helped decrease the severity of disease. The death numbers alone prove it. But what it is not is a vaccine by definition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Either way. Where is the immunity? I have no doubt that what they injected us with has helped decrease the severity of disease. The death numbers alone prove it. But what it is not is a vaccine by definition. 

The vaccine was only made for the sole purpose to prevent SEVERE illness/death and reduce hospitalizations (that is their claim). This was never about immunity, clearly, with the amount of people getting COVID numerous times after being double stuck + multiple boosters.  So I think they need to stop calling it a vaccine, because that's not what it is.  And changing the definition to fit their narrative doesn't help matters.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JupiterTwo said:

You speak of the "2 terms," inoculation and vaccination, but the "synonym" argument is actually about three terms. You are leaving out immunization. Why?

What does immunization mean? What is immunity? Is a vaccination also an immunization? Is an inoculation immunization? Is immunization only obtained via natural processes like getting the disease, or does a vaccination the specific means to deliver immunization?

No, the 2 terms i am discussing are "inoculation" and "vaccine"

Both are the introduction of aa pathogen or antigen to elicit an immune response.

Vaccination is the process that occurs post inoculation or post vaccine injection.

End of story, this is what they taught us in medical school 30 years ago, this is what they teach in medical school now

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

There's no benefit from a booster anymore either.  

Wife and I both went to CVS yesterday to get our booster. As I sat there getting jabbed I asked the Pharmacist giving me the shot if the booster would keep me from catching covid. He said absolutely not, but you probably won't die. We have a 7 night in Oct followed by a 10 night three days later. I could not care less about catching the Virus and getting sick,  my worry is that I will test positive and not be allowed to board and be stuck in Vancouver with no way home.  One positive is that if I catch it on day four of our first cruise I will still test negative on my test 2 days before boarding the second cruise. Hopefully this ridiculous testing will be ending before our cruise, or at least the seven day cruise testing will be over.

Edited by taglovestocruise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Wife and I both went to CVS yesterday to get our booster. As I sat there getting jabbed I asked the Pharmacist giving me the shot if the booster would keep me from catching covid. He said absolutely not, but you probably won't die. We have a 7 night in Oct followed by a 10 night three days later. I could not care less about catching the Virus and getting sick,  my worry is that I will test positive and not be allowed to board and be stuck in Vancouver with no way home.  One positive is that if I catch it on day four of our first cruise I will still test negative on my test 2 days before boarding the second cruise. Hopefully this ridiculous testing will be ending before our cruise, or at least the seven day cruise testing will be over.

Did the pharmacist know the winning powerball number also.?

How does he know you prob won’t die??

I think it’s because most people aren’t dying now - vaxxed or unvaxxed. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, traveler9999 said:

I agree that dropping vaccination requirement makes more sense, as most adults are vaccinated anyway. If they really "believed" the vaccination works, they shouldn't worry about everyone around them being vaccinated as well. If I get a flu shot, I would feel protected and wouldn't want to force people around me to get a flu shot because I would believe I'm protected by the flu shot. Covid vaccination seems to be different for some reason.

Most adults are not vaxxed unlike what the media tells you.  I'd say it's 50%.  95% of the adults  I know are not.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2022 at 8:59 PM, JP350 said:

I know this might sound selfish, but I’ve heard from many people some are friends and most I’ve met on cruises they are all royal diamond plus or pinnacle club. Now keep in mind that all of these people are vaccinated and I know for a fact that if Royal made vaccinated people pay for a test to make way for the unvaccinated that wouldn’t go over well at all with their more frequent loyal customers. The general consensus that I’ve found is that the vaccine requirement is fairly popular and most think it should stay, but testing is not popular at all. 

No it should not stay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, dada2199cc said:

I'm not vaccinated, so I don't have a reference point, but from what I've read, I agree.  The omicron strain is more flu-like, less lethal, regardless of vaccination or booster status, and most of the boosters are only effective against omicron for a very very short period of time.

We will all get omicron.  I've had it, TWICE (BA.4 for sure, probably BA.5, but had no symptoms EITHER time and only found out when I helped a friend self-test and joined them).

I am so ready to cruise and be done with this madness so in  year folks see I'm not the plague.

Totally agree with you.  It's been madness times ten.  My family haven't cruised since 2018.  Unvaxxed and we've had some great land trips seeing the US but we are ready to get back to cruising.  

• Thanks 1