Wondering if Oceania ever reduces fares

Gracie115

I am new to Oceania and while I suspect they do not have fare reductions as some of the mass market lines do I thought I should do my due diligence and confirm this so I don't miss out on potential savings.  So here goes, if you book your Oceania trip and at some point before final payment you see a lower price advertised on Oceania website for the same category and same cruise are you able to obtain that lower price through your TA or Oceania direct?  

We've had occasions to save substantial amounts on other lines but have heard that Oceania does not do this?  True or not?

Thanks for any help.

18 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

I am new to Oceania and while I suspect they do not have fare reductions as some of the mass market lines do I thought I should do my due diligence and confirm this so I don't miss out on potential savings.  So here goes, if you book your Oceania trip and at some point before final payment you see a lower price advertised on Oceania website for the same category and same cruise are you able to obtain that lower price through your TA or Oceania direct?  

We've had occasions to save substantial amounts on other lines but have heard that Oceania does not do this?  True or not?

Thanks for any help.

If you do a simple search here on CC, you’ll learn of all the various opportunities to take advantage of the occasional price drops on select Oceania cruises.
That said, know that the most popular and unusual itineraries often book full within weeks of their announcement and stay that way. Then, anticipating some few cancelations, prices start climbing.

If you have the right TA (among O’s Connoisseurs’ Club or preferred Partners), there was, at least, pre-Covid, rotating “quiet sales,” which I assume will return. There’s also category upgrade sales at holiday times.

There’s a 10% off O Club sale on selected cruises right now. In fact, one of the choices, SFO-NYC 2023, is in the sale. But, true to O’s history, the price I have (from the first week it opened) is far better than the sale price (and our cabin class is waitlisted anyway).

So, except for the the uncertainty as things get back to some semblance of “normal.” you can expect that, while there may be the occasional price drop as unfilled cruise dates approach, the price secured when the cruise was first announced may still be the better strategy.

Also, IMO, the best deal is “book onboard” with an approx 5% discount, some bonus SBC and a price drop match guarantee as long as there’s cabin availability in your cabin class. You can then add TA perks by transferring the cruise to any TA you choose within 30 days.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you do a simple search here on CC, you’ll learn of all the various opportunities to take advantage of the occasional price drops on select Oceania cruises.
That said, know that the most popular and unusual itineraries often book full within weeks of their announcement and stay that way. Then, anticipating some few cancelations, prices start climbing.

If you have the right TA (among O’s Connoisseurs’ Club or preferred Partners), there was, at least, pre-Covid, rotating “quiet sales,” which I assume will return. There’s also category upgrade sales at holiday times.

There’s a 10% off O Club sale on selected cruises right now. In fact, one of the choices, SFO-NYC 2023, is in the sale. But, true to O’s history, the price I have (from the first week it opened) is far better than the sale price (and our cabin class is waitlisted anyway).

So, except for the the uncertainty as things get back to some semblance of “normal.” you can expect that, while there may be the occasional price drop as unfilled cruise dates approach, the price secured when the cruise was first announced may still be the better strategy.

Also, IMO, the best deal is “book onboard” with an approx 5% discount, some bonus SBC and a price drop match guarantee as long as there’s cabin availability in your cabin class. You can then add TA perks by transferring the cruise to any TA you choose within 30 days.

Thank you for the detailed answer.  

54 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Thanks for any help.

If the price drop  for sure  ask your TA to get the new price

It usually says  "for new bookings only"  but most TA's  can get  the new pricing IME

Some will even get the new deal after FP

Does not hurt to ask

JMO

• Like 2

Can you refare a cruise while onboard? I will be on a Caribbean cruise on Marina in December. I have already booked another O cruise on Sirena for September 2023. If I redo the booking onboard can I get 5% off the fare I now have? I booked the Sept. 2023 cruise with a TA.

If you booked a future cruise with a TA, you must have an okay from that TA to do anything (once onboard) associated with that cruise’s fare. 

If a future booking was made within 30 days of an upcoming cruise, it qualifies for the 5% book onboard discount being applied retroactively. But, if you booked it earlier than that 30 day pre-cruise window, you’d have to cancel and rebook (at the current price and perks) to get the “book onboard” deal. Do the math before doing anything else.

FWIW: you can also book a new future cruise within 30 days prior to boarding a current cruise and get the “book onboard” deal. Can’t remember if a TA can do that kind of booking. But, you can definitely book it with an O phone rep and then transfer it.

15 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Can you refare a cruise while onboard? I will be on a Caribbean cruise on Marina in December. I have already booked another O cruise on Sirena for September 2023. If I redo the booking onboard can I get 5% off the fare I now have? I booked the Sept. 2023 cruise with a TA.

Simply put NO. 

First, let me say that the 5% number quoted above actually varies from very little up to 5% depending upon the expectations of sales for that basic cruise. There are no standard savings for booking any cruise aboard other that the receiving the $100 OBC, reduced deposit ( which isn’t a savings), and the best price guarantee going forward.

I have had five O cruises cancelled in the past 2 years including one scheduled in 2022. I will next be on an O ship in Oct. I currently have five O cruises booked of which the first four are completely waitlisted and have been since released. Only the April 2024 cruise is showing availability. If I had waited until my next cruise to book aboard , I probably wouldn’t get on any of those upcoming cruises over the next 18 months.

Booking when the itineraries are released typically gives the best pricing and cabin selection. I recommend that approach to waiting until being aboard to book.

I have twice been aboard ship when itineraries were released and bookings commenced. A fiasco. Neither The ship’s OCA nor its wifi could handle the deluge of computer traffic. My current recommendation in this scenario, is once aboard buy a Future Cruise Credit, thus yielding all the book aboard perks, and email a copy to your TA so they can prebooked you on your desired cruise. As stated by FF, you can now buy that FCC 30 days before cruise so your TA already has it.

Oceania, like other cruise lines,

have hard to move cruises . Winter Carribean and off season Med cruises often fall into this category. Watch and wait and sales regularly appear. If your personal schedule has flexibility, let your TA know. Oceania often has quiet sales, at remarkable prices, to help fill their ships. Since these are “ quiet “ and not published fares, they don’t invoke the lowest price guarantee options.

Good Luck and Happy Sailings! 🍷

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Simply put NO. 

First, let me say that the 5% number quoted above actually varies from very little up to 5%.....

......Booking when the itineraries are released typically gives the best pricing and cabin selection. I recommend that approach to waiting until being aboard to book.....

I have twice been aboard ship when itineraries were released and bookings commenced. A fiasco. Neither The ship’s OCA nor its wifi could handle the deluge of computer traffic. My current recommendation in this scenario, is once aboard buy a Future Cruise Credit, thus yielding all the book aboard perks.....

Agree on the 5% variance though the $100 SBC will be more for a custom multi-segment cruise ($100 per segment).

Agree that Future Cruise Certificates are a good bet if you’re not onboard when itineraries are first published. However, I’ve never encountered the “fiasco” other than more passenger traffic (for which we arrange a time with the OCA).

24 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Agree on the 5% variance though the $100 SBC will be more for a custom multi-segment cruise ($100 per segment).

Agree that Future Cruise Certificates are a good bet if you’re not onboard when itineraries are first published. However, I’ve never encountered the “fiasco” other than more passenger traffic (for which we arrange a time with the OCA).

The time with the OCA was not necessarily the issue. The OCA had literally hundreds of cruise requests dumped on her of which she had neither the time nor assistance to get into the system. She was also basically blocked out of the system due to capacity overload.

Wifi cratered with all the people just trying to view the upcoming cruises. We went to a cafe for lunch and used their wifi. We got a pdf from our TA of the cruises. Hadn’t seen them yet, and responded with which cruise(s) we wanted booked. All during a delightful onshore lunch with a couple adult beverages! 😎 

Edited by pinotlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The time with the OCA was not necessarily the issue. The OCA had literally hundreds of cruise requests dumped on her of which she had neither the time nor assistance to get into the system. She was also basically blocked out of the system due to capacity overload.

Wifi cratered with all the people just trying to view the upcoming cruises. We went to a cafe for lunch and used their wifi. We got a pdf from our TA of the cruises. Hadn’t seen them yet, and responded with which cruise(s) we wanted booked. All during a delightful onshore lunch with a couple adult beverages! 😎 

I guess I’ve been very lucky.

When I was on the Riviera Jan. 14 sailing they applied a $600 on board booking savings to my Aug. 30 Sirena cruise.   They had to call corporate to get approval however.  That's roughly a 5% savings off a 28K fare.

9 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Thanks for any help.

In my experience I have always been able to get a price reduction when lower fares are announced.

I booked a cruise leaving this week a year ago since then O  came out with 2 price reductions ,

The first offer was a 4 suite upgrade  I wanted to go from C3 to P3 ( not available was the reply ) 2 weeks later tried again and they gave me the price difference $1200.

Later they came out with an Ultimate offer which I applied for at first they said I had already accepted one offer and could not have another this was before final payment ,

After I had made my final payment and 4/5 weeks later I tried again and they gave me the Ultimate offer and $500 cash return .

So get a good agent and be persistent and hold them to their best price up until the day of sailing !! 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I am new to Oceania and while I suspect they do not have fare reductions as some of the mass market lines do I thought I should do my due diligence and confirm this so I don't miss out on potential savings. ...

Do keep a close eye out for their periodic public sales (e.g., Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, etc.). Often you can get great savings on an A or B veranda, for example, moving up from the C, F, and G staterooms.

My first experience with O was seeing a Presidents' Day 2021 sales brochure in the Wall Street Journal. Got an A4 Concierge Veranda for $2099. The exact same room on the exact same cruise & ship in Feb 2023 is now $3999. Booked our next cruise (Sirena 11/22) while on Riviera to get the $200 off (so our B4 Veranda at $2399 is currently listed for $2799; it had been at $2599 when we booked it). Since then we've booked 3 more cruises (2 in 2023 and 1 in 2024). One using the Memorial Day 2022 sale to get steep discount on a B4 on Riviera in late 2023. We always watch to see if our cruise makes it on any sale, including the O Life 10%. If it does, we contact O and re-book at the better price.

• Like 1

Oceania does not price like the Mass Cruise Marketers. Their Best price is normally provided when an itinerary is released.  That is not to say there are not promotions as you have read and you can get some reductions or amenities included. 
They will stand up for their Best Price Guarantee and it never hurts to have that Great TA and be persistent. DIYers who like to control everything often times “miss the boat”, bad pun, and do not get the benefits of a quality, connected TA. 
Mauibabes 

• Like 1

A few years ago the Revenue dept made some changes in the discounts and upgrade offers. It seems there was way too much overselling and taking care of that had them having to offer deals to people already booked that were way too good. They also used to quietly sell unsold rooms. Haven't seen any of those sales in a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if something like that doesn't come back in the future though.