Bali to LAX (recommended layover city/country)

NMTraveller

I have a cruise that ends in Bali.  I can stay in Bali, or go to someplace like Cairns, Australia, Tokyo, Hong Kong or some other city/country that has a more direct flight than Bali.  I could go to Singapore also but that is where the cruise starts.  Your recommendations?  I have an extra 3 or 4 days at the end of the cruise.

Just what are you looking for?

Do you want a place to stay for a few days after your cruise?  Or are you looking for suggestions on a routing back to the USA?  Are you wanting fewest connections, shortest distance, fastest flights or what?

FWIW, your one-stop routings would be through SIN, MNL, TPE, HKG, ICN, BNE, SYD and MEL over the Pacific.  For westerly routings, you could go one-stop through DOH, DXB or IST.

Routing through IST, DOH, DXB, HKG, SIN or ICN could entitle you to a free stopover, in some cases including hotel, tours or both.  Or at a very nominal rate.

But again....what are you looking for?

12 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Do you want a place to stay for a few days after your cruise?  Or are you looking for suggestions on a routing back to the USA?  Are you wanting fewest connections, shortest distance, fastest flights or what?

FWIW, your one-stop routings would be through SIN, MNL, TPE, HKG, ICN, BNE, SYD and MEL over the Pacific.  For westerly routings, you could go one-stop through DOH, DXB or IST.

Routing through IST, DOH, DXB, HKG, SIN or ICN could entitle you to a free stopover, in some cases including hotel, tours or both.  Or at a very nominal rate.

I want a place to stay for 3 or 4 days after the cruise.  Positioning in a place that has a direct flight to LAX would be a bonus but not required.  I will have already been to SIN and SYD.

Staying in Bali would be fine also.  Just trying to choose the best place for another 3 or 4 days without a long flight to get there.

Edited by NMTraveller

One thing to remember....if you stay more than 24 hours at your next point, you "break" your air fare into two separate costs.  For example, if you go AAA to BBB to CCC and stay more than 24 hours in BBB, you have a "stopover" rather than a connection.  This breaks the fare and you pay for the sum of the cost from AAA to BBB plus the cost of BBB to CCC.  However, if you have a fare and airline that allows for free stopover, you pay the through fare from AAA to CCC, even though you have a stopover rather than a connection.

Thus, it is advantageous for you to look at the free stopover cities.  I would be looking at DXB with Emirates, DOH with Qatar and IST with Turkish - all interesting places to spend a few days.  And even though you have been in SIN, the flights with SQ would be reasonable and you could use their stopover program.

As for long flights....you are taking them anyway.  Might as well maximize your vacation spots.

• Like 2

I do find it hilarious that you have the option to stay in Bali for a few days but are considering leaving right away and hopping on a flight to...Cairns?!

If you haven't been to Bali, and even if you have, it's a pretty special place and somewhere I'd choose to spend a few days at any given opportunity...tons of incredible hotels/resorts and amazingly friendly locals. Plus great food, scenery, etc. Just do your research and don't feel tied to Kuta/Seminyak/JImbaran/Benoa...I stayed in Tabanan on my first trip, something family of mine go to Bali a few times a year were rather surprised by but it was perfect.

Bali has a ton of one stop options back to LA. You haven't mentioned the cabin you're considering but Cathay Pacific has one of the best quality experiences door to door, now you've not said when you're travelling but COVID restrictions can rule certain options out, that would currently include CX for me. 

• Like 1

If this is your frist visit to Bali you must stay some days in Bali. I did stay near the port and hired a private driver for my Bali excursions.

Also I did  book a return flight to Singapore and individual reservation to Bali - staid some days in Singapore in order to ‘break up’ the long flight.

A lot of information In this topic.

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, hallasm said:

If this is your frist visit to Bali you must stay some days in Bali. I did stay near the port and hired a private driver for my Bali excursions.

Also I did  book a return flight to Singapore and individual reservation to Bali - staid some days in Singapore in order to ‘break up’ the long flight.

A lot of information In this topic.

It seems as though Bali is starting to show up on the radar of top places to visit.  I think I will just stay there.  Tokyo would be nice but a long flight away.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 5:49 PM, FlyerTalker said:

I had some miles on Cathay Pacific to burn.  I don't think HKG is an option right now due to their zero covid policies?  Anyways it looked like their flights from DPS to LAX were going through Qatar. 🙂  And skipping HKG.  

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I had some miles on Cathay Pacific to burn.  I don't think HKG is an option right now due to their zero covid policies?  Anyways it looked like their flights from DPS to LAX were going through Qatar. 🙂  And skipping HKG.  

What you were finding were probably flights on Qatar, which is also in OneWorld.  It would be a partner award using your Asia Miles, or perhaps there are some QR flights that carry a CX codeshare.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

It would be a partner award using your Asia Miles, or perhaps there are some QR flights that carry a CX codeshare.

The latter would be very unlikely. It's very rare for awards to be available on anything other than the prime code (flight number). So this is almost certainly an Asia Miles partner award on the QR flights.

7 hours ago, Globaliser said:

The latter would be very unlikely. It's very rare for awards to be available on anything other than the prime code (flight number). So this is almost certainly an Asia Miles partner award on the QR flights.

True.  Given how covid has impacted the CX operations, I was speculating that they might be doing something out of the ordinary.