What is the dining seating like on Viking River Cruises?

islandwoman

DH and I are booked on the Lif,  our first Viking River Cruise, in October. We are both in our mid-seventies and would not like to catch COVID.  We never eat in indoor restaurants because it is impossible to wear a mask while eating, but I have just read that Viking does not offer room service.  Is there anywhere we can eat on the ship where we would not be exposed to other unmasked passengers who might be contagious?  Outdoors?  Less crowded dining areas?  Carry-out?  A table for two away from other diners?  We do enjoy dining with other passengers, but until the pandemic subsides, that is not a good idea for us.

6 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

DH and I are booked on the Lif,  our first Viking River Cruise, in October. We are both in our mid-seventies and would not like to catch COVID.  We never eat in indoor restaurants because it is impossible to wear a mask while eating, but I have just read that Viking does not offer room service.  Is there anywhere we can eat on the ship where we would not be exposed to other unmasked passengers who might be contagious?  Outdoors?  Less crowded dining areas?  Carry-out?  A table for two away from other diners?  We do enjoy dining with other passengers, but until the pandemic subsides, that is not a good idea for us.

Nothing outdoors for dinnertime. The Aquavit Terrace does have their 3-4 2-tops and 2 4-tops available. Service tends to start there 15 minutes after the dinning room opens.  HOWEVER! These few tables tend to be gobbled up way earlier than service starts.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Roz said:

@islandwoman, it's too bad you didn't do your research before you booked.  River cruises are pretty tight quarters, and your expectations for dining aren't realistic.

We booked before COVID, then cancelled until we finally landed on this one.  Who knew that COVID would last this long and that it would become even more contagious?  Who knew that the vaccines would be less effective against the new variants? Who knew that Viking would discontinue testing?

• Like 1

@islandwoman

I don't think anyone would like to catch covid! 

Not only will you have to fret about dining on a river cruise, but what about excursions? You two can mask on the tours, but that is probably not enough protection if others are not.

And the flights over! Those are petri dishes too.

Our late 70s, health-compromised friends are currently on the Viking Heimdal and are having a wonderful time. Vaxxed & boosted and so far so good.

As the saying goes.....

You pays your money and you takes your chance(s).

Prov. You must resign yourself to taking risks.; Everything costs something, but paying for something does not guarantee that you will get it. (The grammatical errors are intentional.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TMLAalum said:

@islandwoman

I

As the saying goes.....

You pays your money and you takes your chance(s).

Prov. You must resign yourself to taking risks.; Everything costs something, but paying for something does not guarantee that you will get it. (The grammatical errors are intentional.)

When death is the price of a cruise, then the price is too high.

Risks can be reduced.  I'm looking for the middle ground between not cruising and taking too much risk.

How many documented deaths on cruises due to Covid have there been since the introduction of vaccines and viable treatments?  Not saying it can't happen, but I read CC most days and haven't seen evidence of this.

• Like 1

My mother and I were on the Viking Hild in early August 2019 for the Paris to the Swiss Alps itinerary. The Aquavit Terrace was always available for dinner on our cruise so unless they've done away with that it should be an option for you. Since seating is limited on the terrace you would need to arrive very early to secure a table. Enjoy your travels!

• Thanks 1

@islandwoman

I see from your signature, you sailed last month on the Infinity. Whatever precautions you took then should be doable on your river cruise, except room service and the flights over. As far as death, that can happen to any of us at anytime and surely will sooner or later. If vaxxed/boosted your chances of dying from Covid are minimal.

• Like 1

If you are that concerned, it might be a good idea to put it off another year.  No one dreamed this would last so long, but I do think it is here to stay.  I think we will have to deal with it like we deal with flu season each year.  Maybe the vaccines will be more effective next year but who knows?  The choices on river cruises are much more limited, but you are also cruising with a much smaller number of other passengers.  If you don't think you can relax and enjoy it, put it off.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

How many documented deaths on cruises due to Covid have there been since the introduction of vaccines and viable treatments?  Not saying it can't happen, but I read CC most days and haven't seen evidence of this.

How good is the medical treatment in Eastern Europe?

I've been to Eastern Europe but fortunately had no need to use any medical services.  I sailed on Uniworld and they had a Romanian doctor on the ship.  This was pre-Covid so I don't know if they still do this.  I'm guessing there is decent medical care in the big cities such as Belgrade and Budapest.

16 minutes ago, QueenofEverything said:

If you are that concerned, it might be a good idea to put it off another year.  No one dreamed this would last so long, but I do think it is here to stay.  I think we will have to deal with it like we deal with flu season each year.  Maybe the vaccines will be more effective next year but who knows?  The choices on river cruises are much more limited, but you are also cruising with a much smaller number of other passengers.  If you don't think you can relax and enjoy it, put it off.

Will Viking transfer the deposit to a different cruise at this late date?

1 hour ago, lucky cal said:

My mother and I were on the Viking Hild in early August 2019 for the Paris to the Swiss Alps itinerary. The Aquavit Terrace was always available for dinner on our cruise so unless they've done away with that it should be an option for you. Since seating is limited on the terrace you would need to arrive very early to secure a table. Enjoy your travels!

The Aquavit Terrace has become extremely popular for Dinner service since cruising resumed. You are very much correct about getting there early to snag a table. When we sailing in March they seemed to be short-handed on staff for the Aquavit Terrace.

I would argue, because you are still seated inside in the Aquavit Terrace, that you can find better distancing in the dining room. This unless the ship is at capacity. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

That is something that only Viking can answer. Do you have insurance to cover the costs if they won't.  As QueenofEverything says, if you are that concerned, you probably wouldn't enjoy it to start with, and that will ruin what could be a great cruise.

3 hours ago, islandwoman said:

I believe so.  It depends on what the policy was at the time you booked this cruise.  If you don't see it on your confirmation, just call and ask.  It is listed as a separate pdf document on your confirmation.  "Risk Free Guarantee"

• Thanks 1

island woman just as an aside you do realise that although it’s not a requirement you may still wear a mask wherever you go and some, but not all still do. Just ensure that you are comfortable with your space, there will be many around you of your demographic they as you they will not be holding up a sign ‘I’m aware of covid’ but luckily due to the severity of the pandemic many many people are subliminally aware of the need to do so. You are not alone!

• Thanks 1

The FDA recently announced that both Pfizer and Moderna Omicron vaccines targeting the latest versions will be available in September.  Would you feel more comfortable if you can get the new vaccine before your trip?  

1 hour ago, KathyK13 said:

The FDA recently announced that both Pfizer and Moderna Omicron vaccines targeting the latest versions will be available in September.  Would you feel more comfortable if you can get the new vaccine before your trip?  

Probably. I will be eligible for another booster at the end of August. (I was late getting started because I was participating in a trial)  I plan to wait until September so that I can get the new one. I hope it's highly effective against whatever is out there at that time.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, Roz said:

It may be too cold in October to eat on the outside terrace, especially in the evening. 

Are you referring to the Aquavit Terrace?  Because it's enclosed.  We ate there several times on the Hlin last November on the Rhine cruise and it's the same temperature as the dining room.

29 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

Are you referring to the Aquavit Terrace?  Because it's enclosed.  We ate there several times on the Hlin last November on the Rhine cruise and it's the same temperature as the dining room.

Nearly a dozen river cruises and I've never seen the Aquavit Terrace opened to the outside anytime other than lunch.