Cancelling Cruise, but Booking Another Same Month. Deposit Lost?

GSPG

Hi,

A while ago we booked a Med cruise in May 23 and paid £450 deposit (x3 people).

Since then, we have seen a Baltic sea cruise we would prefer, but it’s in the same month and very close to the Med cruise.

What are our chances, or could any advice be given how not to lose the Med cruise deposit if we cancel it?

Could the company switch this to credit for the Baltic cruise?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, GSPG said:

Hi,

A while ago we booked a Med cruise in May 23 and paid £450 deposit (x3 people).

Since then, we have seen a Baltic sea cruise we would prefer, but it’s in the same month and very close to the Med cruise.

What are our chances, or could any advice be given how not to lose the Med cruise deposit if we cancel it?

Could the company switch this to credit for the Baltic cruise?

Thanks

Where are you from? T &Cs are different in different countries…

49 minutes ago, GSPG said:

England.

Different folks here have had varying experience.  Without knowing the specific details of what/when/how you booked, no one can answer.  Best to call your TA or Celebrity directly.

Again the UK booking conditions are much different than the US.    But I seem to recall that there may be some benefit if you are Captains Club Elite where you might be able to move a reservation once maybe for a nominal fee?  Maybe it was onboard bookings.....

Hopefully some of our UK regulars will see this and tell me if I'm remembering right?

I'm definitely not informed with the UK regs., but would recommend you call your agent or Celebrity Cruise Planner.    I have read of some success with moving your reservation to the new cruise instead of cancelling and rebooking.    That way you keep the same reservation number and deposit.

It will definitely be worth the time you spend on the phone to make sure you get it resolved as economically as possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GSPG said:

Thank you all with your suggestions and advice. Yes, if I can get through, a call to them may be the best route before I have a second cruise on their books.

In the UK you can make a change (any change) at £75 each for guests one and two. This change is free if you are Elite or above. In your case you are changing the full cruise, it should not be a problem. You pay £150 and your deposit will be transferred.

The only other thing you need to do (if you booked through a TA) is if they have an additional admin charge. If you did book through a TA you will need to make the change through them, not directly with Celebrity.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, GSPG said:

Thank you all with your suggestions and advice. Yes, if I can get through, a call to them may be the best route before I have a second cruise on their books.

Definitely don't book the second cruise first. While what you want is a cancel and rebook; from the cruise line's perspective, changing the cruise is better. That way they know they get your money still. With an outright cancellation, then yes, the deposit is lost. You have much more leverage to cancel and rebook at the same time. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm definitely not informed with the UK regs., but would recommend you call your agent or Celebrity Cruise Planner.    I have read of some success with moving your reservation to the new cruise instead of cancelling and rebooking.    That way you keep the same reservation number and deposit.

It will definitely be worth the time you spend on the phone to make sure you get it resolved as economically as possible.

I agree to this. We were able to move a couple of cruises successfully (keeping the same reservation # and deposit), because those bookings met Celebrity's T and C's. We live in the US.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I agree to this. We were able to move a couple of cruises successfully (keeping the same reservation # and deposit), because those bookings met Celebrity's T and C's. We live in the US.

I recently switched a 2023 cruise.  Do Not Cancel according to Celebrity.  You keep same booking number and things just get switched.  This was US not UK

• Like 1