Regent Communication to Guests - "An Important Update to Our SailSAFE™ Protocols" re Unvaccinated Guests

Received just now - non vaccinated guests will be allowed - but will have to do per-embarcation tests

Dear Luxury Traveller,

We write to you today to share an important update regarding our SailSAFE Health & Safety Program

Effective 3 September 2022, Regent Seven Seas Cruises® will welcome unvaccinated guests on board our ships. This will provide the opportunity for all luxury travellers to explore the world.  

Regent’s SailSAFE Health & Safety protocols for embarkation will be as follows:

• Vaccinated travellers will not need to test prior to embarkation, subject to local regulations.
  • Unvaccinated travellers may embark with a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test from a lab or pharmacy taken within 3 days prior to embarkation, subject to local regulations.
  • Testing and vaccination requirements will differ for guests travelling on voyages departing from destinations with specific local health regulations, including but not limited to Canada, Greece, the Bahamas and Bermuda. These requirements will be highlighted to guests approximately 30 days prior to sailing.

The relaxation of this policy is in line with the greater travel industry around the globe as society continues to adapt and return to a state of normalcy. While this requirement is relaxed, Regent Seven Seas Cruises continues to strongly recommend that all guests test at their convenience prior to travel. 

As the public health environment evolves, this policy may be revised as necessary, and we will keep you informed of any changes.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Jason Montague

Jason Montague

Jason Montague

President & CEO
Regent Seven Seas Cruises
®

Edited by Stickman1990
  • Like 5

• Stickman1990 changed the title to Regent Communication to Guests - "An Important Update to Our SailSAFE™ Protocols" re Unvaccinated Guests

My separate topic was locked - not sure why. But I'll pose my question here:

Not too clear to me - is US included as "no test if vaccinated?" Or is US still one of the places that has local regulations requiring testing?

If the cruise you are embarking on goes to Greece, Barbados Bahamas etc. or any other country that still has COVID restrictions, you will likely need proof of vaccination and  a negative COVID test prior to boarding.  That is my understanding at least.

46 minutes ago, douginct said:

My separate topic was locked - not sure why. But I'll pose my question here:

Not too clear to me - is US included as "no test if vaccinated?" Or is US still one of the places that has local regulations requiring testing?

It depends on when you are sailing, what other countries the cruise goes to before you disembark, and when you reach those countries during the cruise - so there is no easy answer to your question. For that reason, we send out detailed instructions approximately 30 days prior to the cruise with all the latest requirements for both vaccination and testing.

Edited by Mike Moore
  • Thanks 4

26 minutes ago, Mike Moore said:

It depends on when you are sailing, what other countries the cruise goes to before you disembark, and when you reach those countries during the cruise - so there is no easy answer to your question. For that reason, we send out detailed instructions approximately 30 days prior to the cruise with all the latest requirements for both vaccination and testing.

Okay. I get that. But assuming none of the visited ports require testing, and for example it is a Miami to Miami Caribbean cruise, there would no longer be a requirement to test before embarkation in Miami?

14 minutes ago, douginct said:

Okay. I get that. But assuming none of the visited ports require testing, and for example it is a Miami to Miami Caribbean cruise, there would no longer be a requirement to test before embarkation in Miami?

To answer your hypothetical as best I can, if we had a cruise sailing roundtip Miami on September 8th, and the cruise did not go to any countries that required testing, guests that are vaccinated would not require any testing. 

As November 6th is the first cruise we operate roundtrip Miami, the above is purely hpyothetical, and quite possibly would change between now and 30 days prior to sailing, as requirements for Caribbean countries seem to be changing regularly.

• Thanks 1

I recognize that we make our own choices; however, for myself, this change in policy puts me at unease.  I think I will cancel my recent booking for January 2023 and book later when I feel more comfortable. Good luck and Good Health All!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mike Moore said:

To answer your hypothetical as best I can, if we had a cruise sailing roundtip Miami on September 8th, and the cruise did not go to any countries that required testing, guests that are vaccinated would not require any testing. 

As November 6th is the first cruise we operate roundtrip Miami, the above is purely hpyothetical, and quite possibly would change between now and 30 days prior to sailing, as requirements for Caribbean countries seem to be changing regularly.

Further down in the Additional Pre Embarkations section, it states the following;

1. For cruises sailing from ports in the United States all guests are required to complete a COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test from a lab or pharmacy within 48 hours of arriving to the terminal.

So sailing from Miami or Alaska will require testing. 

This change makes me very uncomfortable. Cruise ships have people in very close quarters for long periods of time. Once the restrictions allow unvaccinated travelers, to me it brings more risk for the older and/or potentially immune compromised passenger.  Having at least all passengers required to be vaccinated at least makes me more comfortable that there is a bit less risk of infection.  I will continue to vaccinate myself and wear a mask if I feel the need, but at least I know others have some layer of protection against a severe infection that can be transmitted to me as well. 

In addition, it will only be a matter of time, IMO before the restrictions for crew are reduced as well that gives another layer of worry as well.  The youthfulness of the crew may mitigate severe infection for them but they may then bring more virulent strains of infection to the older more sensitive passenger base of Regent.

I have five 21+ day cruises booked with Regent in next 12 months and I am seriously considering canceling all, even though three are past the final payment stage. This is a game changer for me I think.  

I hope this policy is reversed before September 3.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

I think  our cruise is sold out which would leave most passengers vaccinated since it is in October.  We've made final payment but I will have see what the protocol is and consider what steps to take.

You make a valid point,   if your cruise is all waitlisted, most likely everyone on it was vaccinated unless they were really just hoping the rules would change!   My final payment is the end of this month,  it will be interesting to see if anything opens up in the next two weeks.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, naplessailor said:

...In addition, it will only be a matter of time, IMO before the restrictions for crew are reduced...

We just disembarked Explorer on Saturday in Civitavecchia, and a passenger on our transfer to the airport said that a crew member told her that masking for crew was ending as of the next segment (Rome-Athens).  Can't confirm if this is indeed true...  watching for comments from those currently onboard.

• Like 1

Growing increasingly less comfortable with this.  We have a TA coming up next spring (in April).  The saving grace there may be that it has a stop in Bermuda, and, as I understand it, Bermuda is still pretty strict about requiring vaccination.  Now, I feel like a fool because I have been paying off the cruise over time, instead of waiting to pay it off when final payment is due.  

4 hours ago, RJ2002 said:

We just disembarked Explorer on Saturday in Civitavecchia, and a passenger on our transfer to the airport said that a crew member told her that masking for crew was ending as of the next segment (Rome-Athens).  Can't confirm if this is indeed true...  watching for comments from those currently onboard.

Excellent news if true

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

And you know what also is unreliable? The vaccine. Given that vaccinated people get sick with COVID all the time, , and can transmit the virus, I think it’s a farce they require the unvaccinated passenger to test

Think I’m more concerned about vaccinated passengers now getting on the ships with Covid ( known or unknown) than unvaccinated people having a prior embarkation test. 

Possibly time to now take control of one’s own level of risk and if worried, wear a mask in crowded areas, use hand sanitizer before eating especially after touching a menu and keep away from anyone coughing or looking like they have a cold…all these things practiced by us on every cruise we’ve ever taken. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

How does Regent define a “vaccinated traveler “ ?

"For all voyages, U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), European Medicines Agency (EMA) and/or World Health Organization (WHO) authorized single brand vaccination protocol will be accepted, with the final dose having been received 14 days or more prior to embarkation. Vaccines include J&J Janssen, Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Oxford (also known as Covishield and Vaxzervria), Sinopharm BIBP, Sinovac and Covaxin. These vaccines are listed as examples. Refer to FDA, EMA or WHO websites for full approved current list.

A mixed vaccination combination of two doses of an FDA or EMA approved/authorized or WHO Emergency Use Listed (EUL) COVID-19 two-dose series with a minimum interval of 17 days will also be accepted. Note: individuals receiving a Janssen COVID-19 vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 14 days after receipt of the single dose of the Janssen vaccine.

For sailings in Mediterranean, any guest who’s primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage must have a COVID-19 “booster” dose prior to embarkation. Guests who currently do not meet the EU Healthy Gateways definition of “Fully Vaccinated” should ensure they receive their “booster” prior to travelling to the ship or you will be unable to board. The EU Healthy Gateway considers the “booster” effective immediately, so it may be administered as late as the day of embarkation, though we strongly advise to have it completed before traveling to the ship."

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1