Suite - GTY I did it to myself!

BillOh

Over the past 10-15 years here I have read a lot about GTY cabins and have read many experiences.  Now I am 40 days out from my next cruise that would leave me one point short of what need to be Diamond Plus for our '23 cruise (s) Now is the time when I start obsessing about the next cruise, studying itineraries, deck plans, excursions, and this time of year checking the NOAA hurricane site! I would also be studying where my cabin is and how to get to everywhere. (We already completed check in and see our SETSAIL passes in the app, and did print them. 

I checked this morning and there has been some good price drops. I checked and it currently shows NO JRSUITES available.  I did see the SUITE GUARANTY price was way below the last time I checked. Knowing we saved a bit after 2.5 years of not cruising I decided, what the heck and went for it.   My reservation was changed to GTY right away. It will drive me nuts in anticipation for seeing what we will end up with, but after 2 years of almost nothing to look for to, this is a good anticipation. I thought I'd start the thread, read what others want to contribute and then update my situation as details come in.

FACTS

Booked Mariner of the Seas 5 day 9/19 visiting Labadee and Coco Cay.  Originally booked a balcony on deck 6. Never been below deck 8 on a Voyager or Freedom class ship.  Paid it off at 90 days.  We are driving from Columbus, Ohio to Port Canaveral, arriving 2 days early and pre-tanning at Playa Linda beach, will arrive at the Radisson at the port on the 18th, have dinner/drinks with roll call friends that day and then board on the 19th.  Since Indy is in port the same day at Mariner, I think we are leaving out of Terminal 5?  Any input there is welcome, we are parking at the Radisson and taking their shuttle to the port.   If we don't get assigned a cabin befor we leave for Florida, I'll relate that info and how it goes. 

Again, all input/suggestions/experiences welcome. 

• Like 2

Have you done the "bar code trick"?

Add your set sail pass from the app to your Apple wallet (if you're an Apple user). Numbers will appear under the bar code. The numbers to the right of the dash are your cabin.

You can also scan the bar code with a QR reader to see the numbers.

In rare cases you will see "GTY" after the dash (which obviously won't help).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, OCSC Mike said:

Yup, it shows GTY -  I just changed this about 4 hours ago, will re-recheck periodically, thanks. 

Mine is not on the Mariner but I had an inside guaranty on The Enchantment departing Sept 8. I booked about two months ago. I just got my assignment  (30 days out from my cruise) and I am happy with it. Hopefully you will get your assignment soon. I have done guaranties at least three times on various cruise ships and always been happy with my assignment.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Have you done the "bar code trick"?

Add your set sail pass from the app to your Apple wallet (if you're an Apple user). Numbers will appear under the bar code. The numbers to the right of the dash are your cabin.

You can also scan the bar code with a QR reader to see the numbers.

I had heard of the bar code trick and was skeptical but that was indeed my cabin assignment once they officially assigned it. I am not an Apple user so I just downloaded a bar code reader and that worked. 

9 minutes ago, stjohnbeachlover said:

I have done guaranties at least three times on various cruise ships and always been happy with my assignment.

Thanks for the insight 

43 minutes ago, BillOh said:

Over the past 10-15 years here I have read a lot about GTY cabins and have read many experiences.  Now I am 40 days out from my next cruise that would leave me one point short of what need to be Diamond Plus for our '23 cruise (s) Now is the time when I start obsessing about the next cruise, studying itineraries, deck plans, excursions, and this time of year checking the NOAA hurricane site! I would also be studying where my cabin is and how to get to everywhere. (We already completed check in and see our SETSAIL passes in the app, and did print them. 

I checked this morning and there has been some good price drops. I checked and it currently shows NO JRSUITES available.  I did see the SUITE GUARANTY price was way below the last time I checked. Knowing we saved a bit after 2.5 years of not cruising I decided, what the heck and went for it.   My reservation was changed to GTY right away. It will drive me nuts in anticipation for seeing what we will end up with, but after 2 years of almost nothing to look for to, this is a good anticipation. I thought I'd start the thread, read what others want to contribute and then update my situation as details come in.

FACTS

Booked Mariner of the Seas 5 day 9/19 visiting Labadee and Coco Cay.  Originally booked a balcony on deck 6. Never been below deck 8 on a Voyager or Freedom class ship.  Paid it off at 90 days.  We are driving from Columbus, Ohio to Port Canaveral, arriving 2 days early and pre-tanning at Playa Linda beach, will arrive at the Radisson at the port on the 18th, have dinner/drinks with roll call friends that day and then board on the 19th.  Since Indy is in port the same day at Mariner, I think we are leaving out of Terminal 5?  Any input there is welcome, we are parking at the Radisson and taking their shuttle to the port.   If we don't get assigned a cabin befor we leave for Florida, I'll relate that info and how it goes. 

Again, all input/suggestions/experiences welcome. 

Booked a Jr on Adventure. Guarantee only. Never have we down this either. Booked 2 weeks ago for late September. Got assigned Owner's Suite last night. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

46 minutes ago, stjohnbeachlover said:

I have done guaranties at least three times on various cruise ships and always been happy with my assignment.

Think we've done half a dozen or so. Finally got one we didn't like last month. The good news is you can switch to any available cabin in the same category (if booked in the US at least), which I would have done, but we happened to win a small RoyalUp.

Did GTY Suite on Radiance to Alaska on 9/16 got my assignment at check in last week at its #1092 (Jr Suite) and located under Izumi.  GTY room was $1200 per person less when I booked it so it made sense to gamble.

17 hours ago, stjohnbeachlover said:

I had heard of the bar code trick and was skeptical but that was indeed my cabin assignment once they officially assigned it. I am not an Apple user so I just downloaded a bar code reader and that worked. 

Same for me, I'll probably check daily, but we are 40 days out still. (still shows GTY) 🙂

1 minute ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Just because there were no Jr Suites available when you booked hopefully you know there's a good chance you'll still end up in one of those and that that would be ok for you. But hope you get better!

I did realize that, but remain hopeful. The main motivation is the extra points to get us to D+ as I knew I would still only get single points if I Royal'd up.     Those 32 points for our Enchantment cruise were sure nice!

On 8/9/2022 at 2:00 PM, BillOh said:

Yup, it shows GTY -  I just changed this about 4 hours ago, will re-recheck periodically, thanks. 

I came back to this thread thinking, "Its been about 2 weeks, maybe there has been an assignment?"  Nope its only been 4 days (36 to go)   Still GTY 🙂

• Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 1:39 PM, BillOh said:

I think we are leaving out of Terminal 5?  Any input there is welcome, we are parking at the Radisson and taking their shuttle to the port. 

Yes, you are departing from T5. Once the shuttle drops you off, you go up to the second floor to enter the terminal. There is a separate suite line once you get up to the entrance.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, irishgal432 said:

I did the same thing on my October Bermuda Mariner. This was a double points so I could resist. I had 2 cruises due to covid and want d the points. After that cruise I am 4 away from pinnacle. 

How's Voyager going?