passport or birth certificate?

Someone I am traveling with said they don't need a passport as they can use their birth certificate and photo ID instead.... we are leaving from Port Canaveral and going to Cozumel... I have a passport but am worried about them..anyone know? 

18 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

If the cruise is a closed loop cruise, leaving and returning from the same port, they are correct.

it leaves and returns to Port Canaveral .... so they won't have problems getting off the ship in Cozumel?

If this person has had a name change such that the BC and DL names don't match, then make sure to bring any documentation linking those names, such as marriage certificates and/or divorce decrees.  They don't always scrutinize it to that degree,but it will make it a non-issue if they do.  And of course all of those documents have to be "certified" versions - not copies.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

If this person has had a name change such that the BC and DL names don't match, then make sure to bring any documentation linking those names, such as marriage certificates and/or divorce decrees.  They don't always scrutinize it to that degree,but it will make it a non-issue if they do.  And of course all of those documents have to be "certified" versions - not copies.  

Yes...and having to travel with all those documents...passport so much easier.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Corollary question, so a child does not have a passport, then raised seal passport is required?  Closed loop via Seattle.

Thanks in advanced 

Raised seal birth certificate.  Not sure what ages require birth certificate.  My granddaughter has had a passport and global entry since she was 2!  Crazy parents. 

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

Another False claim that continues to be repeated on this site...

Just now, zippyjet said:

Just make sure your passport is an original certified copy. A copy will have void in the    background.       Did you know? If you... - Texas Global Passport Services | Facebook Example of non certified copy with void on it.

Passport?  Birth certificate!

1 hour ago, matj2000 said:

Another False claim that continues to be repeated on this site...

Well, my wife was nearly denied boarding DCL because of this.  I don't recall how it got resolved, but we spent quite a bit of time with a supervisor trying to find a way to let her board.  I think it was because she her old maiden name social security card and her new with her married name one it.  Why she had both like that I have no clue, but she carries a bunch of stuff in her purse.  

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

Well, my wife was nearly denied boarding DCL because of this.  I don't recall how it got resolved, but we spent quite a bit of time with a supervisor trying to find a way to let her board.  I think it was because she her old maiden name social security card and her new with her married name one it.  Why she had both like that I have no clue, but she carries a bunch of stuff in her purse.  

I still carry my old driver's license with my maiden name because I left it in my wallet initially while I caught up to everyone with my name change and then just forgot to take it out.  It randomly came in handy about a year after I was married somewhere that only processed my name change on one account and then initially said they couldn't help me because my ID didn't match the name on the account. Now, every time when I clean out my wallet part of me is always worried that I will need it again once day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 9:56 PM, njkruzer said:

Passport?  Birth certificate!

Sorry, I didn't proof read. Birth Certificate not passport. However if your passport looks like it went overboard (worn) (messy) etc. It can be refused when checking in for international flights and cruises. One tidbit of advice; Hyphenated last names can be problematic to say the least. Hope I didn't step on any toes but they are a pain for us (airline industry) and, IMO cruises and other facets in the travel industry share similar opinions. Hope this all helps.