Maui Zodiac Whale Watching Princess Excursion

PTMary

12 hours ago, PTMary said:

Can anyone identify what company Princess uses for their Zodiac Whale Watching excursion? I'm trying to compare the prices of the ship's excursion to booking it ourselves.Ā 

If you want a great zodiac whale watch out of Lahaina just book privately with Captain Steves and take the guess work out of it. We've used them for years and they do a great job.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

Captain Steve's is a very reputable operation. I have gone out with him numerous times. I do find parking at Mala wharf more challenging than parking for Lahaina harbor. Also, getting in and out of Steve's zodiac is a hoot in low tide. I can recommend ultimate whale watching and Hawaiian ocean adventures out of Lahaina harbor also. These are all great companies.Ā 

On 8/12/2022 at 6:03 AM, princeton123211 said:

If you want a great zodiac whale watch out of Lahaina just book privately with Captain Steves and take the guess work out of it. We've used them for years and they do a great job.Ā Ā 

Ā 

On 8/16/2022 at 4:22 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Captain Steve's is a very reputable operation. I have gone out with him numerous times. I do find parking at Mala wharf more challenging than parking for Lahaina harbor. Also, getting in and out of Steve's zodiac is a hoot in low tide. I can recommend ultimate whale watching and Hawaiian ocean adventures out of Lahaina harbor also. These are all great companies.Ā 

Ā 

Thank you both! Mahalo!

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

What time of year are you going? We had tours twice in Oct. with no sitings, were told they migrate but sometimes you get lucky. Check on whales migration time periods.

Ā 

The whale watch season doesn't start until December...most vendors start mid December. The vendors start looking for whales in October, and a small number do appear early...but its a small number. Anybody selling a whale watch excursion in October is on the edge of scamming you.

• Like 2

Our January Carnival cruise doesn't offer whale watching in Maui as an excursion, so I'm looking into booking an independant company. Never having been to Hawaii, I have no knowledge of the area.Ā  How far is the cruise port from the areas where these companies launch?Ā  Is it walkable, or necessary to get Uber, taxi, etc.?Ā  Thanks, in advance, for any information!

Our January Carnival cruise doesn't offer whale watching in Maui as an excursion, so I'm looking into booking an independant company. Never having been to Hawaii, I have no knowledge of the area.Ā  How far is the cruise port from the areas where these companies launch?Ā  Is it walkable, or necessary to get Uber, taxi, etc.?Ā  Thanks, in advance, for any information!

Ā 

Added later...I see that the port we arrive at (Kahalui) is almost 30 minutes away. Anyone have suggestions for transportation across the island that won't tear up the budget?Ā šŸ˜

Ā 

2 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Ā 

Added later...I see that the port we arrive at (Kahalui) is almost 30 minutes away. Anyone have suggestions for transportation across the island that won't tear up the budget?Ā šŸ˜

Ā 

You need to go to Ma'alaea Harbor, less than a 30 minute drive. If you look into groups like the Pacific Whale Foundation, you might find they provide transportation. Otherwise, taxi/Uber is your best choice.

• Like 1

Thanks so much, CruiserBruce! I just booked Pacific Whale Foundation tour from Ma'alaea Harbor. We will plan to Uber or taxi there.Ā  According to Google Maps driving directions, it's only about 13 minutes. Sweet!!Ā  Looking at Ma'alaea Harbor information, it would seem we could easily spend most of the day there.Ā  Beaches and the aquarium, along with some great sounding restaurants, look very promising. This is why I LOVE Cruise Critic!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pcvtmom said:

Thanks so much, CruiserBruce! I just booked Pacific Whale Foundation tour from Ma'alaea Harbor. We will plan to Uber or taxi there.Ā  According to Google Maps driving directions, it's only about 13 minutes. Sweet!!Ā  Looking at Ma'alaea Harbor information, it would seem we could easily spend most of the day there.Ā  Beaches and the aquarium, along with some great sounding restaurants, look very promising. This is why I LOVE Cruise Critic!

The drive time is dependent on time of the day and day of the week. Assuming you just checked, at approximately 9am on a Sunday morning. One of the quietest days of the week heading that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Looking at Ma'alaea Harbor information, it would seem we could easily spend most of the day there.Ā  Beaches and the aquarium, along with some great sounding restaurants, look very promising.

Theres certainly things to do there but I wouldn't build a day around it. Its not the greatest beach (very rocky) and places like Lahaina are much more vibrant with things to do and restaurants. You could take anĀ Uber another 20 minutes further to Lahaina after your whale watch and that would be very worthwhile from a restaurant/sightseeing standpoint.Ā 

6 hours ago, pcvtmom said:

Thanks, Princeton123211! We may just head back to the harbor at Kahului, if that's the case. I'm just happy to understand my options, at this point.

It would be a shame if you go straight back to Kahului.Ā  It is a commercial/industrial area with nothing to offer visitors.Ā  If you don't want to go to Lahaina, Kihei and Wailea are closer and offer so much to do (beaches, shopping, restaurants, etc.).Ā  Please check those areas out.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 4:50 AM, latebloomer56 said:

What time of year are you going? We had tours twice in Oct. with no sitings, were told they migrate but sometimes you get lucky. Check on whales migration time periods.

Ā 

Ā 

Middle of March.Ā 

On 8/20/2022 at 4:33 PM, pcvtmom said:

Ā 

Ā 

Take a look at Maui Bus. Their app is great and in real time.Ā  I believe the closest bus stop to the port isĀ Queen Kaahumanu, but it's not far. The bus will drop you right at Ma'alaea harbor. It's $2 each way ($1 for senior). Or $4 for an all day pass if you want to hit a beach in Kihei after the whale watch, but I personally really like Maalaea harbor. There is the Ocean Center aquarium with an excellent (but short) 3D Humpback video and the restaurant inside Ocean Center makes a great Mai Tai. Tantes also has a good happy hour. The Pacific Whale shop is a great place to pick up Maui souvenirs. There is also an ice cream and Maui cookie shop. I can spend lots of time in Ma'alaea harbor just watching the boats sail in/out. BTW; no beach to speak of there, but you could feasibly walk down to Haycraft beach if you want to stick your toes in sand.Ā 

Ā 

Anyway, Maui bus will be your cheapest (and very reliable) transportation. I do not recommend heading all the way to the west side into Lahania on a cruise ship day stop. There are too many potential issues crossing the Pali with traffic. It's the ONLY reasonable road to get from one side of the island to the other and something as simple as a person with a flat tire can back that road up significantly.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps! Enjoy your time in Maui. I'm counting down the days until I can get back 'home'.Ā 

• Like 2

From the cruise terminal to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center is about a mile, maybe more. The Lahaina Islander (route #20) is once an hour, starting at 5:30AM and takes 25-30 minutes. Getting BACK from Ma'alaea the bus is once an hour on the hour, so 2PM, 3PM, etc, then you have to walk the mile back to the ship, so plan well.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, scottca075 said:

From the cruise terminal to the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center is about a mile, maybe more. The Lahaina Islander (route #20) is once an hour, starting at 5:30AM and takes 25-30 minutes. Getting BACK from Ma'alaea the bus is once an hour on the hour, so 2PM, 3PM, etc, then you have to walk the mile back to the ship, so plan well.

Ā 

I just mapped this out for giggles. Of course, personal knowledge of limits is needed, but I don't think 1.08 miles is difficult for most people. My experience is that the busses are very much on-time. There are only two stops from Queen Kaahumanu to Ma'alaea so pretty easy.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

image.thumb.png.71cb1951d8fd6bb240c08c96c215f441.png

Ā 

Ā 

image.png.eb488b6903a3e1e7523535fe7d0a5da4.png

Ā 

image.png.901fb671779cd6de9cd7a7b784a55936.png

Ā 

https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentCenter/View/8643/Lahaina-Islander-Route-Map-?bidId=

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Op could leave the ship by 8:00 and make the 8:30 bus to Ma'aLaea

Get to Ma'aLaea at 9:00 and have two hours to walk around/shop/grab a coffee

Take the 11:00 whale watch which returns at 1:00

Visit ocean center until the 4:00 bus departure (plenty of time)

4:00 bus back to Queen K at 4:30

Walk back to ship. Arrive at 5:00

Ā 

Of course, this schedule can be altered to take the 9:30 bus out and the 5:00 bus return but I like to have lots of lead time in case things go sour.

Ā 

This plan is totally doable. Of course, grabbing an uber or lyft will be easier, but the OP did ask for transportation options that don't break the bank and this will positively be the least expensive šŸ™‚

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This plan is totally doable. Of course, grabbing an uber or lyft will be easier, but the OP did ask for transportation options that don't break the bank and this will positively be the least expensive

Ā 

It is doable, but people need to know the parameters and limitations. I would not count on easily getting an Uber or Lyft at Ma'alaea and people need to realize if they miss the 2PM bus, the next one is 3PM and then they have a mile walk ahead of them to get back to the ship, although you can sometimes find a cab outside Foodland at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and Uber and Lyft are easier in Kahului/Wailuku.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Ā 

It is doable, but people need to know the parameters and limitations. I would not count on easily getting an Uber or Lyft at Ma'alaea and people need to realize if they miss the 2PM bus, the next one is 3PM and then they have a mile walk ahead of them to get back to the ship, although you can sometimes find a cab outside Foodland at the Queen Ka'ahumanu Center and Uber and Lyft are easier in Kahului/Wailuku.

Ā 

Totally agree. Your information was very useful. That's why I added the exact schedule and map.

Ā 

I also agree that Uber is spotty on Maui although over the last few years I have seen an increase in the number of drivers available. Pre-scheduling an uber for the return is the only way I'd be comfortable, and even then, using the bus for the return will likely be easier/more reliable than getting an uber.

Ā 

I think the OP has enough information here to be successful in this adventure, and the whales are magnificent.

Ā 

Heck, I'll still be there the middle of March... maybe I should set up some tours (kidding of course).Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...