Rotterdam Port Change

mjdenn

We're sailing on the Rotterdam 8/21 but the Amsterdam port schedule now lists the following changes for Rotterdam.

MS Rotterdam 14/8 – 21/8 – 28/8 – 11/9 departs from Rotterdam.

https://zee.cruiseportamsterdam.nl/ms-rotterdam-vertrekt-uit-rotterdam/

I simply can't understand HAL.  They can't change cruise documents.  They can't add a splash page for the embarkation change, and apparently an email is beyond their capability.

2 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Are you not aware of the low water situation at Ijmuden that precludes large ships using the locks. Been going on for months now.....

communication from Rijkswaterstaat July 18th.....

6 minutes ago, Tennessee Titan said:

Are you not aware of the low water situation at Ijmuden that precludes large ships using the locks. Been going on for months now.....

I do agree with you, however HAL are sadly lacking in communication skills.

We are sailing on Rotterdam on August 28th and have known for several weeks about the changes taking place.  Only today have the Ports updated their websites, but as yet no word from HAL.  I have pre cruise hotel bookings in both Amsterdam and Rotterdam, but will not cancel until HAL confirms the embarkation port.

Giving them the benefit of the doubt about planning being beyond their control, I would expect to hear from them by tomorrow morning. 🤞

Edited by VMax1700

10 minutes ago, mjdenn said:

We're sailing on the Rotterdam 8/21 but the Amsterdam port schedule now lists the following changes for Rotterdam.

MS Rotterdam 14/8 – 21/8 – 28/8 – 11/9 departs from Rotterdam.

https://zee.cruiseportamsterdam.nl/ms-rotterdam-vertrekt-uit-rotterdam/

I simply can't understand HAL.  They can't change cruise documents.  They can't add a splash page for the embarkation change, and apparently an email is beyond their capability.

I saw half of the publication midday our time today.  Time difference 9 hrs with Seattle....

I posted this because HAL's communications skills are sorely lacking.  I'm aware of the water level issues as well as the salt water intrusion concern.  As we see from the notice they provided 2 days notice for those sailing on the 14th.  That was on the ports website and I doubt HAL sent a email.   I was in the IT field and if I managed my clients communication this way I'd be gone.

Edited by mjdenn
omnision
  • Like 1

We are on the Nieuw Statendam in May.  We were scheduled to depart and return Rotterdam and earlier this week we got an email saying that we were departing and returning to IJmuiden. 

Strong agreement with the original post.    I'm currently sailing on the Rotterdam.   All precruise email from HAL still listed Amsterdam as the embarkation port in more places than it mentioned the Rotterdam port.   Why it was so difficult to change such information is beyond me.    Subject lines were vague and could have stayed change of embarkation port instead of the extremely vague important update phrase which was also used when they pushed our boarding time slot off by 20 minutes.  They could also have explained which trains go to Rotterdam as it is not as inconvenient as a change of ports in the US would have been.     A little clarity would have been nice.    

• Like 1

We're on the Sept 11 Rotterdam cruise originally scheduled out of Amsterdam and have been aware of the issue with the water salinity and changes of embarkation ports for a few weeks now thanks to Cruise Critic.  Nothing officially received from HAL, yet!  Called HAL 2x today, (one on their "hotline", and one with "already booked cruise" contact. Both representatives were clueless, in fact, they weren't even aware of the previous changes from Amsterdam to Rotterdam port. I didn't have my booking number readily available on one call, and they couldn't even use my name to find the cruise of which I gave them the date, ship, and itinerary. Something just "ain't right"!  

• Like 1

Perhaps someone on the Rotterdam can tell us where they are disembarking on Sun 21 August.  I and two other couples are sailing on the Rotterdam and thus far we haven't been notified by our "big box" travel agent nor HAL of any change in port. 

I have see the following notice on CruisePortAmsterdam:  

Update ms Rotterdam  Tuesday 16 August 2022 Message from the HAL :
For the rest of the Europe 2022 season, the Rotterdam will divert to the port of Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. This concerns the departures and arrivals on Sunday 21 August, Sunday 28 August, Sunday 11 September, Sunday 18 September, Sunday 25 September and Sunday 2 October.
Navigator App and Boarding pass

It is currently not technically possible to change the embarkation port from Amsterdam to Rotterdam in the Navigator app on the boarding passes. So, despite this change of port of embarkation and/or disembarkation, Amsterdam will always remain on it. The boarding passes and embarkation times remain valid for embarkation in Rotterdam. As a reminder, the boarding passes are the same as the travel documents. We do not send separate documentation. Guests will receive the boarding passes upon completion of Online Check-in via www.hollandamerica.com.
Guests will be officially informed by the HAL as soon as possible. It is expected that this will be sent out as soon as possible. More information about transport options will also follow in this reporting.

Holy guacamole. I guess everyone who has transfers from Schipol with still be able to use them, only heading toward Rotterdam instead. The guy who was frantically trying to calculate the drive time from IJmuiden to Centraal train station will be up the creek...

42 minutes ago, BAMA_BOY said:

Perhaps someone on the Rotterdam can tell us where they are disembarking on Sun 21 August.  I and two other couples are sailing on the Rotterdam and thus far we haven't been notified by our "big box" travel agent nor HAL of any change in port. 

I am on the Rotterdam right now. We will disembark on August 21 in Rotterdam. Arrive early. It took me two hours to get on the ship from when I made it to the port.

• Thanks 1

Home » News » Update ms Rotterdam

Update ms Rotterdam

Tuesday 16 August 2022

Message from the HAL :
For the rest of the Europe 2022 season, the Rotterdam will divert to the port of Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam. This concerns the departures and arrivals on Sunday 21 August, Sunday 28 August, Sunday 11 September, Sunday 18 September, Sunday 25 September and Sunday 2 October.
Navigator App and Boarding pass
It is currently not technically possible to change the embarkation port from Amsterdam to Rotterdam in the Navigator app on the boarding passes. So, despite this change of port of embarkation and/or disembarkation, Amsterdam will always remain on it. The boarding passes and embarkation times remain valid for embarkation in Rotterdam. As a reminder, the boarding passes are the same as the travel documents. We do not send separate documentation. Guests will receive the boarding passes upon completion of Online Check-in via www.hollandamerica.com.
Guests will be officially informed by the HAL as soon as possible. It is expected that this will be sent out as soon as possible. More information about transport options will also follow in this reporting.

HAL, Rotterdam

I think we all agree it's going to be Rotterdam based on the water level and reduced lock schedule.  I think we all agree that things like this make HAL look incompetent.  How difficult is it to send an email.

I'm certain that someone will will show up late in Amsterdam and won't have time to get to the new location.  Earlier cruises leaving were receiving a credit from HAL for transport to Rotterdam.  

See everyone on 8/21.

Received my email for this Sunday today. The good news is I was prepared based on this forum. I would definitely be scrambling on Sunday without the additional lead time. They didn’t mention any financial compensation but we don’t expect any. 

I've now received notification from HAL about the change of port to Rotterdam, although the itinerary listed on the same document still shows Amsterdam for embarkation, disembarkation and midway port of call.

It's ridiculous that they say it is not technically possible to change that information.  They regularly amend boarding passes to add/amend embarkation times, why not the port?

Has anyone on earlier cruises affected by this change been able to successfully claim from their travel insurance for a 'missed port'?  Technically I'll be missing Amsterdam 3 times on mine although I don't suppose the insurance company will agree, but they may pay out for the one in the middle.  However, they will want written confirmation from HAL which could be a problem given HAL's refusal to amend the itinerary.

3 hours ago, colin v said:

Received my email for this Sunday today. The good news is I was prepared based on this forum. I would definitely be scrambling on Sunday without the additional lead time. They didn’t mention any financial compensation but we don’t expect any. 

I saw on facebook a letter from a travelcompany what says their clients get $50 obc for the august 21 cruise.

Dont get that letter myself. Only a e mail from HAL. Nothing from my cruiseagent.

4 minutes ago, SweetsugarNL said:

I saw on facebook a letter from a travelcompany what says their clients get $50 obc for the august 21 cruise.

Dont get that letter myself. Only a e mail from HAL. Nothing from my cruiseagent.

My notification didn't mention the $50 OBC but included a link which it said was for directions, parking and transport information, which took me to the letter which shows the $50.

RTDMY264_EmbarkRotterdam.pdf (responsys.net)

There could be more than one person confused by all the 'Rotterdam' references.

'Rotterdam', 'ss Rotterdam', 'cruise terminal Rotterdam', 

I wonder why I have been humming 'Beautiful South' music for the last few days??

"This could be Rotterdam or anywhere
Liverpool or Rome
'Cause Rotterdam is anywhere
Anywhere alone"

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, SweetsugarNL said:

Please be kind enough to open that e-mail properly. That letter IS in the e-mail. AND you will receive US$ 50 per persoon OBC too. All of course IF you booked definitely one of the cruises concerned, betweeen now and October 2nd. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, colin v said:

My Naviagator app does now show Rotterdam in the app on the My Itinerary page.  

Did you open the letter of HAL? In that letter they explain why all systems still mention AMS.