transatlantic air cancelled

dandylion

As a 76 year old woman traveling alone from the us to London for a 16 day cruise I opted to pay the hefty surcharge for business class air through princess air. I booked at around final payment and paid in full, selected my seats on the airline website, arranged my ground transportation to the airport. To minimize problems I also booked princess transfers to the ship . This was to be a getaway for me from the daily caregiving I provided to my husband who has Altzheimers. I arranged for full time nursing care with relatives for back up and began dreaming about my  small room with a balcony ..also with a hefty surcharge as I was paying double for a single. Purchased cruise insurance through princess. Yesterday about 2 1/2 weeks before departure I get an email from someone at my travel agency I had been dealing with about 15 years that my flight had been changed and I was leaving early in the morning and arriving not the day of the cruise but the night before. This puts my at heathrow with my luggage, cane and no bed to sleep in and a long wait for the earliest transfer .I called my travel agent who said I had to deal directly with princess as she had tried to call princess air but couldn’t get through. I then spent the rest of the day on the phone either being transferred to no one , put on hold or told there was nothing they could do as the air department was closed. At 930 pm eastern time I hung up the phone. I was on the phone as long as I would have been in the air.

I will start again in 3 minutes. I am platinum princess. I have travel insurance. I am looking for a new travel agent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fire that travel agent.

Calling Princess M-F right when they open 6am west coast/9am east coast helps me get through quickly.

Can you look at your Travel Summary in the cruise personalizer and see a EZAir phone number to call to see if you can choose a better flight?

Also, try calling the airline to see about changing to a better flight.

giod luck I have - been in your situation a few times myself.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dandylion said:

I am looking for a new cruise line.

The company Princess contracts air with is used by several cruise lines.

Do you know if your flight has been cancelled by the airline. I hear several airlines are cancelling flights into London. Have you tried contacting the airline?

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

The company Princess contracts air with is used by several cruise lines.

Do you know if your flight has been cancelled by the airline. I hear several airlines are cancelling flights into London. Have you tried contacting the airline?

The good news is that you have a couple of weeks to get things worked out. Flying in the day before is always recommended, but I realize you weren't prepared to do so. You could check out the British Isles board to see recommended hotels near Heathrow. We've always flown in a few days early and stayed in London, so I don't know any.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dandylion said:

I am looking for a new travel agent.

I do not blame you on this! Taking care of these kind of things when they happen is exactly what a good TA should take care of.

36 minutes ago, dandylion said:

I am looking for a new cruise line.

Well, I would wait to get all the facts before jumping to this conclusion but, you are upset and nothing I or anyone can say right now is going to help. 

44 minutes ago, dandylion said:

my flight had been changed and I was leaving early in the morning and arriving not the day of the cruise but the night before

I know you don't agree at this specific moment but, this could be a blessing in disguise. Heathrow has been overwhelmed lately (been on the news a lot) and arriving day of cruise could be a disaster. But again, you had your plans and are upset so I hope you get resolution one way or another.

Let us know how this works out because believe it or not, I think we all feel you deserve this vacation from non-stop care giving.

Cheers,

John

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for your help and good thoughts. Using the phone # given to me by “dog” I was able to have the original flight rebooked. According to AA website it is not yet ticketed, but I am holding the seat. Yes, I agree never never fly in the day of the cruise….it was only because of my care responsibilities that I went that route.

• Like 19

12 minutes ago, dandylion said:

Thanks to everyone for your help and good thoughts. Using the phone # given to me by “dog” I was able to have the original flight rebooked. According to AA website it is not yet ticketed, but I am holding the seat. Yes, I agree never never fly in the day of the cruise….it was only because of my care responsibilities that I went that route.

And EZAIR is ticketing immediately?  You did get rebooked by EZAIR?

I would also go into the AA website and get a seat assignment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, dog said:

Also, there is a Hilton Garden Inn right at LHR.

Just FYI for anyone looking for a hotel at Healthrow. I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Heathrow. It's by T2/T3. The rooms are nothing special but the location is very convenient. Also has a rooftop bar with wonderful views of planes taking off and landing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, junglejane said:

Just FYI for anyone looking for a hotel at Healthrow. I've stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Heathrow. It's by T2/T3. The rooms are nothing special but the location is very convenient. Also has a rooftop bar with wonderful views of planes taking off and landing.

I believe AA is in terminal 3 also.  It is expensive though.

But, someone may need this info.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

I believe AA is in terminal 3 also.  It is expensive though.

But, someone may need this info.

They certainly leverage their location because, as I said, the rooms themselves are very basic. We have Hilton status so were able to use a free night certificate to stay overnight while connecting at LHR (non-cruise related trip).

• Like 2