What would you share with an obsessive cruise planner

alwalaska

I and NCL platinum and am an obsessive planner who enjoys the cruise more when she knows what is coming, but haven't cruised since Feb 2019.

We are sailing the Dawn in Feb out of Tampa.

I need to find the current version of how to best mix loyalty free meals with 1 dining plan meal.

I'd love to find menu and activity info.

I read recently Cagneys is no longer good. It was our favorite. Do you agree? If so, next suggestion?  We're boring steak and potato people.  That is why we liked Cagneys.

Any and all tips, suggestions,  info on what changed, etc will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.

cagneys can be hit or miss. we were invited on the bliss to alaska, to a dinner with 12 people. i ordered among other things the 5oz filet, the onion soup and ahi tuna. it was merely ok.

the next night was the last night of the cruise, and we still had a freebie dinner so my wife and i decided to go to cagneys again. i had virtually the same as the night before but it was 100% better and the service was impeccable.

if you want to see a menu, go to ncl website and click where it says log on. if you click "dining" it will show youall the dining area available. click cagneys and it will say view menu. youreon your own from there

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have found Cagneys to be fine the past few times I’ve been there. We had some average meals there a few years ago, but it’s been a lot better lately in our experience.

As for dealing with the free at sea and platinum meals, this has got a bit harder now that many only get one free at sea meal. You can now only book one meal at either Moderno or Teppanyaki without paying up front. I’ve not had a problem with leaving any that can’t be booked in advance until after boarding. I would book Teppanyaki in advance as it can sell out quickly but leave Moderno until onboard as it is often less busy. This is assuming you want both of them. Just remember to book any fixed price restaurants first.

If you want more than three speciality meals then it’s worth looking at the dining upgrade where you can get two additional meals for about a third off. You may be happy with three options anyway.

One other thing to be aware of is that the system is currently only allowing each restaurant to be booked once per cruise. If you want to go back to the same place then you either have to call or wait until onboard.

Some menus... not sure if there are newer versions out there but this is what I've got saved.

We had a few bad experiences at Cagneys (slow service, like, 2+ hrs slow for only 2 people dining), but yet we still always go back there when we have a lot of free meals. 

Even though you're simple folk, consider Le Bistro. The filet there has always been one of my favorites. Don't be afraid to ask for minor revisions to the menu too if it's too fancy for you. I'm a simple gal, but last cruise they were able to give me the roasted veal chop meal, but swap out the veal with a basic filet instead without issue. I don't eat mushrooms or foie gras, so it was easier to ask for the veal chop meal but swap out the protein (I don't eat baby cows). 

I'm a big PITA when it comes to food, and I've always found the staff very accommodating with my small requests to leave something off or swap it for something else already on the menu. 

Cagneys_Dinner-Menu_ver02-10-22.pdf La_Cucina_Mobile-Menu_ver01-12-22.pdf Le_Bistro_Dinner Dessert-Mobile-Menu_Version4_0.pdf LosLobos_Dinner-Deserts_Mobile-Menu.pdf Teppanyaki_Mobile-Menu_v011122.pdf

• Thanks 1

I would share that it is amazing to not obsess and just enjoy the vacation for what it is with very little planning ahead of time.  :)  Also, other people's reviews are just that, your next meal at Cagney's may be your best, I think a lot of the recent wait times could be due to staffing issues, but only time will tell.

I have obsessed for months prior to a cruise. I would justify this action that my family does no planning and it was all up to me.  I also sold myself on the fact, it I did not plan, I would miss or loss the opportunity to do something I would regret.  

My approach would be to start what I call a Journal document.  Normal stuff like dates, times and reservations.  Then my cruise got cancelled.  This lead to adding my Covid-19 Card image, specialty restaurant menus and pictures of all passengers passports.  This manual is now up to 20 pages.  Then came my second of four total cancelations.  In went the different between the Premium Beverage package and the Premium Plus.  This process went on until I had a book, which I bound that had close to 30 pages.

I gave the document to my wife and two adult children about two days before our flight.  I choose that date because that is when all the stupid questions happen.  Like, when is our flight, where are we staying pre-cruise, what ports are we going too and the list goes on.  The moment I get one of those questions, I hand the journal out to everyone.  

After to doing all this work, no one really looked at this fine work of a Journal.  That cruise was lovely however for me it was anticlimactic.  I visualized each element so many times before sleep it seemed I had cruise this cruise hundreds of times before. My next cruise is in December, I have one page and it is a Excel Calendar with times and dates.  

On Cagney's.  This steak house used to be one I would avoid.  My last cruise in March 2022 solo, I tried Cagney's again on the Joy.  I ended up eating their 4 nights of a 7 night cruise. My secret was going a bit earlier then I would usually eat.  The Chocolate Cake is the very best. 

Hope my thoughts help.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I have found Cagneys to be fine the past few times I’ve been there. We had some average meals there a few years ago, but it’s been a lot better lately in our experience.

As for dealing with the free at sea and platinum meals, this has got a bit harder now that many only get one free at sea meal. You can now only book one meal at either Moderno or Teppanyaki without paying up front. I’ve not had a problem with leaving any that can’t be booked in advance until after boarding. I would book Teppanyaki in advance as it can sell out quickly but leave Moderno until onboard as it is often less busy. This is assuming you want both of them. Just remember to book any fixed price restaurants first.

If you want more than three speciality meals then it’s worth looking at the dining upgrade where you can get two additional meals for about a third off. You may be happy with three options anyway.

One other thing to be aware of is that the system is currently only allowing each restaurant to be booked once per cruise. If you want to go back to the same place then you either have to call or wait until onboard.

Keith, thank you so much!  I think it was you who wrote the old thread I was looking for.  We are happy with the 3, but the Teppanyaki vs the Moderno and booking the fixed price first was exactly what I needed to know.  I appreciate your willingness to repeat the same info over again for those of us who are bad at searching.

2 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Some menus... not sure if there are newer versions out there but this is what I've got saved.

We had a few bad experiences at Cagneys (slow service, like, 2+ hrs slow for only 2 people dining), but yet we still always go back there when we have a lot of free meals. 

Even though you're simple folk, consider Le Bistro. The filet there has always been one of my favorites. Don't be afraid to ask for minor revisions to the menu too if it's too fancy for you. I'm a simple gal, but last cruise they were able to give me the roasted veal chop meal, but swap out the veal with a basic filet instead without issue. I don't eat mushrooms or foie gras, so it was easier to ask for the veal chop meal but swap out the protein (I don't eat baby cows). 

I'm a big PITA when it comes to food, and I've always found the staff very accommodating with my small requests to leave something off or swap it for something else already on the menu. 

Thank you so much for all of the info and especially the menus.  Did you happen to take pictures of any main dining room menus?  We are doing an 11 day, so I'm sure it will be different from other cruises, but I like to know the main dining room options when I book my dining reservations.  I know they can always vary, but I find most ships follow a somewhat similar pattern. (Or at least they did 5 years ago).

Thanks again for the menus.

• Thanks 1

So for Specialty Dining, you'll have these choices:
Moderno or La Cucina
Le Bistro or Cagneys

One other

If you do Teppenyaki for your free night, book it first, as when you reserve it online, it will use your one free dining credit and you'll have $0 due. 

As Platinum, you probably don't need advice on the best restaurants, but If it were me in your shoes (simple steak and potatoes people), I would book Moderno, Cagneys and Le Bistro. Don't be intimidated by fancy names on the Le Bistro menu. Lots of good items for simple eaters and very romantic! Just study the menu ahead so you can look things up online, ask questions of your waiter if you need to (and point when you can't pronouce!), and enjoy.

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you all so much for all of the information.  I appreciate all of the opinions and got some good smiles out of some of the comments about pickiness and planning in general.

I realize now I led everyone down the dining path with my specific questions.  Back to my general question, Any overall tips, comments or suggestions about what has changed in the past 4 or 5 years with NCL cruises.

Thanks again.

• Thanks 1

We are Sapphire and I too was an obsessive planner.  I say was (I still am) but I am learning to not plan too much and go with the flow.....I now book 2 specialty dinners and the rest of the cruise we just decide last minute.  I do get a bit stressed when my cruise gets closer and I don't have plans for every minute of every day but my DH reminds me it is vacation...relax and enjoy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TSUmom said:

We are Sapphire and I too was an obsessive planner.  I say was (I still am) but I am learning to not plan too much and go with the flow.....I now book 2 specialty dinners and the rest of the cruise we just decide last minute.  I do get a bit stressed when my cruise gets closer and I don't have plans for every minute of every day but my DH reminds me it is vacation...relax and enjoy.  

My family really gets a kick out of my saying, "we are winging it today", and then pull out of a list of items to pick from for "winging it".  I'm glad I'm not alone out there.  Thanks for sharing.

Oh, and unless NCL changes things again, we should be Sapphire at the end of the Feb cruise.  Every time I get close to moving up, they add more levels or change the requirements.

Edited by alwalaska
Added last paragraph
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, alwalaska said:

Thank you so much for all of the info and especially the menus.  Did you happen to take pictures of any main dining room menus?  We are doing an 11 day, so I'm sure it will be different from other cruises, but I like to know the main dining room options when I book my dining reservations.  I know they can always vary, but I find most ships follow a somewhat similar pattern. (Or at least they did 5 years ago).

Thanks again for the menus.

Again, just a sample of the MDR options. They vary from day-to-day. The section called Classic Entrees is always there, the rest will vary a smidge. There's talk though that it may start to stay the same from night-to-night... not sure when that goes into effect. But this gives you an idea of some of the options they've offered at one time from the 3 different meals.

Fleet_MDR_Dinner_D2_Mobile-Menu.pdf Fleet_MDR_Lunch_Mobile-Menu_Day-3-V2.pdf MDR_Breakfast_Starbucks_Day-3_Mobile-Menu.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Again, just a sample of the MDR options. They vary from day-to-day. The section called Classic Entrees is always there, the rest will vary a smidge. There's talk though that it may start to stay the same from night-to-night... not sure when that goes into effect. But this gives you an idea of some of the options they've offered at one time from the 3 different meals.

Again.  thank you so much!!  You are going to get sick of me.  More questions.  I see it says Mobile menu in the file name.  Does that mean that once you are on board for the cruise, you can wake up and see the menu for the day without walking around to the dining room and peaking at what is outside on the wall?  If yes, is that the normal NCL app that I have already downloaded or something additional?

Yes, the standard NCL app you already have. However, I personally have NEVER gotten it to work onboard. The menus I have saved in my NCL Menus folder on my desktop are ones I 'borrowed' from other people here on the boards posting them over the years. 

In theory, yes, you should be able to see the menu but like I said, I have never gotten it to work. The 'mobile' designation may just be from folks scanning the QR code on their trip and viewing the menu through their phone that way once onboard and in the restaurant. 

If you're fancy and in a Haven room... you can ask your butler nicely for a sneak peak view of the next day(s) menus coming up. We did that on our February trip and used that as a guide for when to use our specialty dining credit and when to eat at the MDR. 

57 minutes ago, alwalaska said:

Again.  thank you so much!!  You are going to get sick of me.  More questions.  I see it says Mobile menu in the file name.  Does that mean that once you are on board for the cruise, you can wake up and see the menu for the day without walking around to the dining room and peaking at what is outside on the wall?  If yes, is that the normal NCL app that I have already downloaded or something additional?

On the Star last month there was a table in the Atrium and one in the buffet that had menus for all of the specialty restaurants and the daily MDR menu.  I don't know if that's the same on other ships.  

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

Yes, the standard NCL app you already have. However, I personally have NEVER gotten it to work onboard. The menus I have saved in my NCL Menus folder on my desktop are ones I 'borrowed' from other people here on the boards posting them over the years. 

In theory, yes, you should be able to see the menu but like I said, I have never gotten it to work. The 'mobile' designation may just be from folks scanning the QR code on their trip and viewing the menu through their phone that way once onboard and in the restaurant. 

If you're fancy and in a Haven room... you can ask your butler nicely for a sneak peak view of the next day(s) menus coming up. We did that on our February trip and used that as a guide for when to use our specialty dining credit and when to eat at the MDR. 

Thanks.  That helps.  I'm in a lowly interior, down on deck 4.   Maybe someday we will hit the lottery (not likely since we don't play) and stay in a Haven room. 🙂  

30 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

On the Star last month there was a table in the Atrium and one in the buffet that had menus for all of the specialty restaurants and the daily MDR menu.  I don't know if that's the same on other ships.  

Were the MDR menus only for the current day, or for all days?  If all days, I could definitely make a stop at that table during our initial browsing on day 1 of the cruise.

1 hour ago, alwalaska said:

I could see the restaurant menus on the NCL app on our last cruise (Jade).

I can't remember whether the MDR ones were there, but the specialities were all available.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

Hey, you just woke a dormant brain cell.  I remember them having all the menus in the buffets on a number of past cruises.  Maybe COVID killed that for a while?

• Like 1

I to am a planner. Actually, I enjoy the planning just as much (or more) than the actual trip😁

At least in my experience, NCL seems to be…shall we say… less forthcoming with information. Excursions were slow to come out, and then when we got on board there were MANY more options than were available before embarkation.  Air reservations were not released to us until 21 days before our trip. We had no issues with the speciality restaurants, but in my opinion the MDR’s have gone way down in quality. The taste of the food was bland, and there was a huge issue with food temps.  It may have just been our itinerary, but port times were very short. 

• Like 1