HELP: First Cruise with Curmudgeon Father

jphks

My father and I will sail on the Nieuw Amsterdam for the Triple Denali, and we chose the Land first. The trip is likely to be his last big trip. 

He is a bit of a curmudgeon and resists taking a suit of any kind. I have no issue wearing a suit, but I can't get him even to consider wearing a suit.

What is the minimum he can get by with for gala nights?

Edited by jphks

Alaskan cruises are much more casual. I don't see near as many suites. I agree with above post....slacks and button down shirt will be fine. Heck, even just a polo if he wants. As long as he is not in shorts and flip flops😁

• Haha 1

Is he willing to bring a blazer?  Alaska cruises are quite casual, but my curmudgeon Father WAS willing to do a blazer and he admitted afterwards that he felt better wearing that rather than no jacket.  (Dad always tried to be appropriate.)

If the answer is no, a nice dress shirt and a nice pair of slacks should suffice.

After that first cruise, Dad was hooked.  We did quite a few other cruises together until the last one when he spent most of his time in Sick Bay.  Hopefully, this will not be your Dad’s last big trip.

• Like 3

I was just on Zaandam, the Vikinig Voyage, and for at least one of the usual  'gala' nights, the name had been changed to 'dressy' night. I have pretty much stopped participating in any of those 'special' nights; I have never had anyone criticize my outfit, which consisits of a sparkly top and black slacks. Many don't even go that route, and choose to ignore the dress code completely, which also is okay too, apparently. 

• Like 1

Leaving soon for an Alaska cruise and NOT taking a suit or sportscoat & tie for the first time in memory.  Dress codes have relaxed considerably over the past few years and not worth the space they take up IMO.

• Like 3

We used to take a sport coat, etc. for DH but now do a pair of dressier slacks, button down shirt, tie (sometimes) and a sweater vest and he looks pretty darn spiffy in my opinion! On the Alaska cruises a suit isn't necessary. 

Karen

• Like 1

Pants of some sort; a polo shirt or long sleeve fleece is fine. 

Honestly, no one onboard an Alaskan cruise cares.  Let your father just be comfortable. Whatever he wears to any restaurant now is fine for a cruise. 

I am sure he's not looking to wear booty shorts and t-shirts with offensive slang.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Let him be happy, a pair of pants and a shirt will work. 

...and an orange tie is always considered fashionable. (doubled for the Orange Party later that night quite nicely, too.)

IMG_2995.thumb.JPG.2b57ca28bb8ec08839aa4e2ac9ba11ee.JPG

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Haha 1