New review of Silver Muse is published

worldtraveller99

We enjoyed the cruise very much. I just didn't think ultra-luxury was right, when the nicest included wine costs only £12 a bottle! And they were trying to force Valpolicella (included, costs £7 a bottle in the UK) on everyone as the standard wine in La Terrazza in the evening. The Thai beer (included) in Indochine was thin too. If I had paid more thousands than I did I would have expected at least £15 for each included bottle to make the cruise ultra-luxury. 

In Indochine I think I asked (remember - 20 questions to find an included wine!) do you have an Alsace Gewürztraminer? Oh yes he said - and brought a really cheap and tasteless Edelzwicker - a cheap blend made in the presence of some Gewurztraminer grapes! (sells at £8 a bottle in the UK).

Otherwise, apart from the butler who obviously thought other people would tip him more (too right there) so ignored us, everyone was lovely!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

What would be the distinguishing factors, I wonder?

According to Silversea:

1. Nearly 1:1 staff to guest ratio

2. Lavish surroundings

3. Spacious accommodations that all include butler service

4. Most are ocean-view suites that include private verandas

5. All inclusive fare that includes almost all of your discretionary onboard expenses

6. Door-to-Door fares for the majority of passengers which includes complete transportation services

7. Culinary excellence available 24/7 including premium beverages and complimentary sustainable caviar on-demand at anytime 

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

PS Let's not argue on the luxury level! Here is SS's landing page - definitly says "ultra-luxury". Leader in Luxury Cruising | Silversea

Well, I’m not really seriously arguing the point but I think SS is promoting a distinction without much of a difference from other lines in the same category.  In the page you reference the term Ultra-luxury is used once in reference to the ships and the new ships certainly look gorgeous. I  just think of SS as nicer than most and possessing some comfortable features I enjoy when cruising.  Perhaps their marketing may have set the expectation a little high for you.

• Like 1

I'm not saying the decor wasn't lovely because it was. And as you say I have 0 to compare it with re the size of the veranda suite.

I just don't think an £8 or a £7 wine counts as premium, when those are what we in the UK call entry-level wines. And we didn't happen to see much of our butler (still not sure whether I was expecting too much there). But we did have a great time!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I'm not saying the decor wasn't lovely because it was. And as you say I have 0 to compare it with re the size of the veranda suite.

I just don't think an £8 or a £7 wine counts as premium, when those are what we in the UK call entry-level wines. And we didn't happen to see much of our butler (still not sure whether I was expecting too much there). But we did have a great time!

I have to agree with you that those wines certainly don't sound as if they were premium.  We don't care about a butler.  Glad that you had a great time! 

• Like 1

I think it's a well balanced review and accurate of our SS experiences. 

I personally HATE the way SS makes it a guessing game as to which complimentary wines you can order. They have no problem keeping a current inventory of additional costs premium wines (is it harder to keep track of the free ones by the same computer system)?  SS is owned by a company that has world class inventory management for these types of things. 

The price of admission on a SS isn't cheap...yet SS has LESS to offer for inclusive wines/beers/alcohol then sister and lower end line Celebrity (comparing to premium bev package).  I am paying far more pp/day on SS vs Celebrity and yet I can get far superior selection and quality on Celebrity...

Celebrity-Cruises-Beverage-Packages.pdf

• Like 3

Thank you for your thorough review.  The number of children was surprising, but it is summer vacation time and this was a 7 night cruise.  I feel that 7-night cruises are very bad for giving you an authentic experience of the line - they are much more likely to have large charter groups and families travelling with children, especially on school breaks.  I hope you find a longer itinerary at a quieter time that allows you to savor a different cruise experience.

45 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

And we didn't happen to see much of our butler (still not sure whether I was expecting too much there). 

The butler's work is often largely invisible.  S/he will often service the suite when the guests are away at meals or ashore. S/he dusts, replenishes the fridge with water and other beverages, tidies up the room, etc. Other services (such as delivering breakfast and/or coffee, refreshing the fresh fruit, collecting and delivering laundry, making reservations at restaurants that require them, delivering canapés at cocktail time, etc.) are on request.  The core functions are often invisible. Other services need to be requested.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the review.....as I mentioned to you on the other thread, I think your Butler was way off base and should have tried to help you. And that wine conversation? OMG......tell me a grape? What kind of Sommelier was that? Sorry the service issues were so obvious.........☹️........

I will be on the same cruise as Marc........hoping the service is better for our sailing. That is really not normal........not in my previous cruises anyway. 

• Like 1

Very reasonable review. Thanks for taking the time to post.

I've taken 7 cruises post COVID and SS had been the worst embarkation process of all up until my last on Azamara 2 months ago. I noted others on the same moon cruise as us fared better than us. But that was because they arrived independently and wasn't faced with the bulk gatherings we had on arrival from our hotel by coach. It didn't impact our cruise, but could and should have been at least as easy and quick as the mainstream lines we'd used (just to get back on the sea) last summer. Viking were the best on this front and were in our room within 30 mins of getting off the coach.

Our butler on our Moon cruise in Jan was the best we'd had to date and couldn't do enough. The previous,was the worst and seems similar to yours by being conspicuous by her absence. We knew the next guests (TTS) who stayed in our suite after we'd left. They posted photos of the replenished m&ms and other bits they found on day 1. We had none on these on any day and whilst we are an easy touch for a butler (ie not demanding), we truly would expect more than hello "I'm your butler" and then not see for the next 6 or 7 days. I am aware she had a very difficult male couple in the owner's suite (placed there because they had complained about something on day 1), but even so, there is no excuse in my opinion for the poor service. The guests in the next room to ours and have kept in touch with, commented the same as we saw. She became our first butler not to receive a tip at disembarkation on any cruise taken.

Despite the couple of negatives though, I'm pleased you had a great time. I've not sailed on any cruise where I can honestly say was perfect, but luckily the negatives the cruise line could take ownership of, hasn't sour things. I had the misfortune to book a Virgin seacation last August and took the kids and partners. They remain the only CL I've sailed I would never book again. Finding a half eaten pizza and vibrator in room on arrival was merely the start! Thanks Richard, but no thanks. I'm not a sailor and I don't do Heidi Hi. My kids enjoyed it. I found it cheap and tacky. Being double charged for drinks more than once just made me angry. $22 for a Tanquery Sevilla (double shot which wasn't asked for) leaves a very sour taste.

Edited by les37b
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, worldtraveller99 said:

My review of our recent Alaska cruise on the Silver Muse has been published. What do you think? Silversea Silver Muse Cruise Ship: Review, Photos & Departure Ports on Cruise Critic

Agree with you about the included wines, and the odd experience of being encouraged to "name a grape."

Edited by alc13

On 8/15/2022 at 10:14 AM, Observer said:

The butler's work is often largely invisible.  S/he will often service the suite when the guests are away at meals or ashore. S/he dusts, replenishes the fridge with water and other beverages, tidies up the room, etc. Other services (such as delivering breakfast and/or coffee, refreshing the fresh fruit, collecting and delivering laundry, making reservations at restaurants that require them, delivering canapés at cocktail time, etc.) are on request.  The core functions are often invisible. Other services need to be requested.  

Perhaps I’m confusing SS with another line but isn’t there also a cabin attendant in addition to the butler?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Perhaps I’m confusing SS with another line but isn’t there also a cabin attendant in addition to the butler?

Yes, there are attendants and butlers for every suite.

Bored with sea days?   Why book a cruise with lots of sea days on a cruise line which has few onboard entertainment opportunities.   SS is about quiet relaxation not hi di hi!   Wine choices are numerous, so 3 or 4 white wines tried were thin and tart, what about the other dozen?   Make friends with your waiting staff and get them to let you taste lots of the available wines.   Wine at £12.95 (UK price) while obviously not top notch is not particularly cheap.   We have done over 100 days on SS and only occasionally like the daily white wine offering as we are great fans of NZ Sauv Blanc and usually revert to it  This years favourite Sauv Blanc was Tiki but we also had some very nice white burgundy on a couple of nights and several other pleasant wines outside our usual "comfort zone".   The secret to a great SS cruise is, in our view, to do your homework about the ship, what will be available, where you are going, how many sea days, destinations (so you can choose excursions based on some prior knowledge) and most of all making friends with your crew.  

• Like 5

Thanks you for the review, very helpful.

I'm not seeing anything that would prevent us from booking a cruise on the Muse.  Sounds like SS should be more transparent with the included wines, I agree they should be higher quality but many are fine with the list so we will budget some Connoisseur wines with dinner.

I think sometimes peoples expectations are a little high, luxury cruises just aren't going to be equivalent experiences to The Four Seasons and Michelin starred restaurants.  Considering the price one might think so but the business models & logistics are completely different.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

The suite attendant's functions are quite different from those of the butler. The suite attendant does not deal with food or drink.  S/he works very hard making the beds, changing the linen, vacuuming the suite, cleaning the bathroom, washing the door to the veranda, etc.  Ideally, the suite attendant and the butler are a team who work well together.

• Like 5