Travel insurance NAB credit card vs annual multi trip

Hi, I'm 65 husband 73, both healthy, getting quotes for cruising as have 5 cruises over the coming months.  I am tempted to get a NAB premium debit card, however, can't seem to get a clear answer if it covers cruising.  The debit card would cost $10 per month, which I think is pretty good comparing to the cost of travel insurance the cheapest I have been quoted is $1574 for the year through World2Cover.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

17 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

Hi, I'm 65 husband 73, both healthy, getting quotes for cruising as have 5 cruises over the coming months.  I am tempted to get a NAB premium debit card, however, can't seem to get a clear answer if it covers cruising.  The debit card would cost $10 per month, which I think is pretty good comparing to the cost of travel insurance the cheapest I have been quoted is $1574 for the year through World2Cover.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Hi subaru94

I would assume that it would be similar to my Com Bank credit card, in that cruise cover is excluded but offered as an extra, cost is linked to the cruise places visited and length of cruise.

Check out their disclosure statement, it would be included in their exclusions.

regards

I researched complimentary Credit Card insurance a few months ago and put a spreadsheet in this section of the forum. I did not check debit cards and I don't know if it would give you the coverage you need. From reading the pds for the NAB credit card on line, I am pretty sure it covers cruising, but I don't know about the debit card. You can easily check it out on line.

• Like 1

Thank you for your feedback,  after waiting for nearly an hour on phone got through to the underwriters, who said yes cruising both Australia and overseas  was covered as was covid 19 if you were to test positive the day before and had to change flights, only thing is $300 excess required.  So I think we will probably go through the NAB debit card.

Hey Subaru94,

Have a look at the definition of overseas in the PDF booklet

"overseas means outside of Australia and its territories other than when you are aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters."

I would take that to mean yes!!

ANZ has similar wording..."outside of Australia and its territories, and includes when you are aboard a foreign registered cruise vessel in Australian territorial waters."

Both are underwritten by Allianz.

The NAB has different coverage for under 76 with unlimited Medical and no cover for 76 - 91, so you would be fine in regards to your ages.

I did notice that NAB has unlimited cancellation which ANZ is only $20000.

Will look into NAB as ANZ has taken away our Breakfree investment package and its "perks" which included our ANZ Qantas black card, so will have to pay $400 year to keep it!!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Relaxing Rita said:

I am very interested in this topic.... really look forward to any other information about NAB credit card complimentary travel insurance!!

The only info I have to hand is that the NAB complimentary travel insurance is available on several different types of credit cards that have differing annual fees ($30, $90, $250, $295). You must spend $500 of the travel cost of the card and claims have an excess of $300. The insurance only covers people up to 76 years of age.

For full details I suggest you read the pds that is available on the NAB website.

• Like 2

I use Westpac platinum for an annual fee and as a long term customer still only pay $100 a year and this card which also comes with rewards.

As of Last month they have included Covid cover “yeah” covers up to 80 must spend $500 pp and has a $300 excess.

Cheers Carole 

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I researched complimentary Credit Card insurance a few months ago and put a spreadsheet in this section of the forum. I did not check debit cards and I don't know if it would give you the coverage you need. From reading the pds for the NAB credit card on line, I am pretty sure it covers cruising, but I don't know about the debit card. You can easily check it out on line.

I'm getting really confused now, I thought I had it down what Credit Card Insurance covered, now not so sure, I had been told by the bank the basic free insurance did not cover cruises, that you had to purchase an option for cruising.

Just down loaded their latest product discloser.

Just been through it several times, until my eyes started swirling.

As far as I can see, cruising international or domestic is covered in the standard free cover. It instructs "For a domestic cruise, not part of an international journey, please choose ‘Pacific’ as your destination during activation". Well there you go.

There is no exclusions anywhere for cruising its self, however there are some cruise extras that require inclusion, "Cabin Confinement; Prepaid Shore Excursion Cancellation; Formal Wear Damaged, Lost or Stolen; Delayed Formal Wear; Marine Rescue Diversion". Oh by the way I'm referring to Com Bank Credit Card Insur.

I'm still trying to make sense of their Covid clauses.

Evon I have tried to find your spreadsheet, but can't seem to get the right search words to locate it, do you have any hints to locate it?

Regards

John

7 hours ago, subaru94 said:

The debit card would cost $10 per month,

Why a debit card? why not just get a Credit Card that has included insurance, most banks do them, ANZ Rewards Platinum for example or a Westpac Altitude Platinum, for about $99 a year card fee you get full travel insurance and also collect points for gift cards or you can convert them into frequent flyer points.

Most have offers of a fee free for first year and bonus points.

I got an ANZ card, no fee fo the first year and almost enough points for one way Virgin flights for both of us from Perth to Sydney when we cruise between the 2 citys next year.

Edited by Hammer61

20 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

Why a debit card? why not just get a Credit Card that has included insurance, most banks do them, ANZ Rewards Platinum for example or a Westpac Altitude Platinum, for about $99 a year card fee you get full travel insurance and also collect points for gift cards or you can convert them into frequent flyer points.

20 minutes ago, Hammer61 said:

It can be somewhat difficult to apply for a Credit Card if you are retired and no longer earning a salary.   However,  a Debit Card (NAB Platinum Debitcard) will also have complimentary travel insurance which now includes Covid coverage.  It takes 5 minutes online to apply for this debit card.  However,  read the PDS as 76yrs and over are not covered for medical issues but you will be covered for all other travel insurance claims. 

Edited by CCC's
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Here it is again. It looks small on the screen but it can be enlarged. Different banks have their own T&C.

Credit Card Travel Insurance.JPG

Thanks Evon.

Insurers are a bit sneaky, just found out the PDS Downloaded from the bank is different than the one issued by their insurer.

Redoing another long search through another 90 odd pages. 🤬

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My credit card only covers international travel, which excludes domestic cruises, it also requires a minimal spend on aspects of the travel.

Hi MicCanberra, I got told by a few travel insurance companies that domestic cruises are actually classified as international as soon as they leave the ports, not sure if this is something new or because of Covid.  I asked the underwriters for the NAB  platinum card and they said all cruises covered by credit card, even if you test positive to Covid the day before and have to change travel arrangements they are all covered to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Most have offers of a fee free for first year and bonus points.

I got an ANZ card, no fee fo the first year and almost enough points for one way Virgin flights for both of us from Perth to Sydney when we cruise between the 2 citys next year.

Don't think we would get approved for a Credit Card now as husband retired on a pension and I only work a few hours a week.  Low income?? Hence why I was looking at the NAB debit card that also includes travel insurance.  Will visit bank tomorrow to see what is possible.

• Like 1

Great thanks Suburu94, I’m going to look into the NAB debit card. Since our ANZ credit card now has a limit of $20000 for cancellation. We are also retired, so not sure how easy it is to get a new credit card.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, subaru94 said:

Hi MicCanberra, I got told by a few travel insurance companies that domestic cruises are actually classified as international as soon as they leave the ports, not sure if this is something new or because of Covid.  I asked the underwriters for the NAB  platinum card and they said all cruises covered by credit card, even if you test positive to Covid the day before and have to change travel arrangements they are all covered to.

It may have changed, we have had an annual policy for the last 5 or so years due to that and a few other reasons anyway.