Uniworld Belgium Holiday Markets River Cruise

papa B me

I finally booked my first overseas adventure since the beginning of Covid.  I have a good friend who is from Belgium and I had read Notamermaid’s post on Belgium so was thinking about a trip to Belgium.  But I really have been missing river cruising so decided that for 2023 I would book a Christmas Market cruise.  My 40th anniversary is in 2023 and both my wife and myself turn 60 in 2023.  So thought it would be a great celebration trip.  Having cruised 3 times with Uniworld I decided to look at their Christmas Market cruises for 2023.  To my surprise they are offering a new cruise in Belgium.  It is 7 nights and is round trip from Brussels with stops in Ghent, Hasselt, Maastricht, and Antwerp.  I will plan a 2-3 day pre cruise stay to explore places that the River Cruise doesn’t.  Thought I would share this as it being new I thought many may not be aware of it.  Will share more as the planning proceeds.  If anyone has already begun research on this cruise I would love to hear what you’ve found.

Happy to be back!

Brian

• Like 3

Good to hear from you, papa B me. Nice that I have been the inspiration for the trip, now I feel a responsibility towards it being a great one. Weight on my shoulders in a good sense.

I have had a look at the itinerary, had not noticed this new one before mentioned it: https://www.uniworld.com/us/river-cruise/central-europe/rhine/belgian-holiday-markets/2023-brussels-to-brussels/day-to-day

Quite different. It says Germany in the description but the map says they only cruise in Belgium and the Netherlands. I checked and found that Germany is only an excursion to the Christmas market in Aachen. That is not much time in the country but a good time I think. I like Aachen and in Advent I am sure is even better. In past years I have recommended the city as an excursion from Cologne. It has never occurred to me that it is also easy to reach from Maastricht. Good idea of Uniworld.

Third recommendation for Bruges.

notamermaid

@papa B me, I've done 3 cruises on Uniworld, but this December I'm doing a Yuletide cruise on Tauck thru The Netherlands and Belgium.  I didn't realize Uniworld had a similar cruise.  I'll have to check it out.  

Bruges was one of the first places I visited in continental Europe, it was a school trip to see ‘The Pageant of the Holy Blood’ I was 14. It and the whole trip made the most amazing impression on me. I’m sure it’s where my fascination with Europe and it’s history started. My love of lace making (a guilty secret, time means nothing when I’m shuffling the bobbins) and of course Belgium chocolate maybe not the best in the world but almost. 
The Pageant is really worth seeing if you get a chance.

Thanks for the great responses.  I’m planning on doing our pre cruise in Bruges.  I think it looks like either an hour and a half car ride from Brussels or less then an hour by train.  Unlike my travel idol JP, we don’t travel lightly(usually have a carryon just for shoes-ha) so will probably hire a driver to take us from Brussels and back.  Thanks again and look forward to sharing and learning again with you.

Brian

• Haha 1

We were in Belgium for a week in July.  Fabulous country.  The trains are very easy to use.  Very user friendly.  We stayed in Brussels and took day trips to Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges.  We were very lucky to see the Pageant of the Holy Blood.  It went right past out hotel, so we watched it and it was great.  have fun.