Best deck/cabin location for avoiding sea sickness on the Sunshine?

tdbates

Hello again! I'm getting ready to book a cruise in November aboard the Sunshine and I'm trying to figure out our stateroom. We are doing an interior, since it's a short trip and we don't foresee being in our cabin other than to sleep, and I'm fine with the lower decks. I was on a cruise back in high school (the Carnival Ecstasy) and I don't recall ever feeling sick however I'm nervous about the prospect as I am prone to motion sickness at times. Any advice for cabin selection?

I don't have a cabin recommendation for you, but I have gotten motion sickness on smaller ships (<300 pax), I have never gotten sick on a ship the size of Sunshine  

If you are concerned about motion sickness on the cruise, I also recommend getting  "the patch" from your doctor. It's a game changer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

If you are concerned about motion sickness on the cruise, I also recommend getting  "the patch" from your doctor. It's a game changer. 

Use of Sea Bands (wristbands that have a pressure point that supposedly helps) may be an option too - we used them on a cruise that was expected to be bumpy, and it was, and we felt no sea sickness.  But...I think my wife and I are just re-incarnated Jolly Roving Tars, as it were.  We feel quite comfortable on any water vessel, regardless of sea state.

As noted, interior lower decks should feel less side-to-side rolling (though you will still feel rotation), and mid-ship or slightly aft should be the best for pitching (again, you will feel rotation, but not as much "up and down" translation).  But no location is immune from sway or heave.

OTOH, and also as noted, the Sunshine is big enough I doubt you'll feel anything unless the sea state is indeed quite active.

btw, you can often feel the most movement as you get close to a port or just after leaving, because the stabilizers are not deployed in the shallower waters and of course as you dock they have to be stowed.  Out in the open ocean most big ships feel like a giant hotel on land, with a really big pool surrounding it...

• Like 2

I've been on the Sunshine 5 or 6 times and have stayed all over the ship, from Deck 1 to Deck 12 (I think). The amount of motion I've felt is pretty much the same. I am not prone to sickness so it doesn't bother me. If you are prone to sickness then you may need to get some Dramamine, ginger candy, or some other treatment.

• Like 1

My wife was very nervous our first cruise because she is very prone to motion sickness.  We've been on 20 cruises now and she hasn't had any major issues.  We always book a cabin in the middle of the ship both ways (usually deck 7 mid-ship) for ships like Sunshine.  It was deck 10 on Mardi Gras due to the public decks on that ship.  We always want cabins above and below us (for noise, not motion).  She takes ginger root and Bonine.  Bonine is better than Dramamine because it is non-drowsy and doesn't make you feel sluggish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tdbates said:

Hello again! I'm getting ready to book a cruise in November aboard the Sunshine and I'm trying to figure out our stateroom. We are doing an interior, since it's a short trip and we don't foresee being in our cabin other than to sleep, and I'm fine with the lower decks. I was on a cruise back in high school (the Carnival Ecstasy) and I don't recall ever feeling sick however I'm nervous about the prospect as I am prone to motion sickness at times. Any advice for cabin selection?

Always lowest deck mid ship.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

She takes ginger root and Bonine.  Bonine is better than Dramamine because it is non-drowsy and doesn't make you feel sluggish.

The standard or original Bonine and Dramamine are both meclizine. Less drowsy Bonine or Dramamine is simply a lower dose of meclizine. NON-Drowsy Bonine or Dramamine is Ginger Extract at a big mark up compared to crystallized ginger "candy" which I have found in the Asian aisle of Sprouts.

• Like 1

DH has pretty intense motion sickness issues (not just on ship) and the only formula that works for him (cruising 2/3x a yr for last 20 years) are motion sickness patches (RX from DR) and midship balcony (for immediate fresh air) on deck 7 for Sunshine level ships (the Sunshine is the smallest ship we sail).  He only uses 2 or 3 of the patches per cruise (one starting 24 hrs before sail away so it gets into his system before we sail) and then 1 or 2 more in early days of cruise.  He is usually set by then unless the weather turns ugly.  

We also keep ginger ale in the fridge and Bonine/Dramamine chewable (for quicker absorption) on hand just in case of rough seas later during cruise and needs something quick.  Also, if swells are rough then we avoid the aft area (MDR, comedy club etc) of a ship being that is the worse place for him to feel it.      

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

From past research, it is my understanding that these are two different medications.  Bonine is meclizine, but Dramamine is Dimenhydrinate.

I stand corrected!!! (Gotta read that small print!)

Original Dramamine is in fact Dimenhydrinate. "Less drowsy Dramanine" is meclizine, as is Bonine. The "Less Drowsy" label on Bonine specifies "Than Original Dramamine". 

Meclizine is also what the ship will provide, possibly without a trip to the infirmary, at least if the water is rough. BUT, it does make people drowsy... I wonder how bad dimenhydrinate is, like a sleeping pill?!!

• Like 1

I get incredibly motion sick. (I can make myself car sick in stop and go traffic) I start taking meclizine the night before I get on the ship. It will not help you if you are already sea sick - dramamine is better for that. I then take it every night at bedtime. I also take dramamine with me as well, just in case. I've successfully sailed thru a hurricane and a major blizzard without any problems.

It is MUCH less expensive to get the generic meclizine online than Bonine at your local store. Usually you can get 200 tablets for the cost of 8.

• Like 1

My family and I agree.   Low deck, mid ship and Bonine all the way.  We start taking Bonine the night before we cruise and my son and I need one everyday on the ship (it also helps to take it for a day after as well).  It has helped us while we were already motion sick as well as preventing it.  We've sailed through really rough water and none of us have ever gotten sick with Bonine.

14 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I don't have a cabin recommendation for you, but I have gotten motion sickness on smaller ships (<300 pax), I have never gotten sick on a ship the size of Sunshine  

Is this helpful

I booked Sunshine for November in an interior spa cabin which is up high and alllll the way forward. It’s my 12 year old granddaughter’s first cruise. I’m definitely packing remedies!!! 😝 

Edited by rrraydon