Viva cruise canceled

tomberly

We received the official news today that our Viva Europe cruise has been canceled for August 8-17, 2023. We were really looking forward to checking out a new ship.  We loved the itinerary, staring in London and ending in Lisbon.  Sad we won’t be able to sail on the Viva but we are looking forward to finding another cruise.  Planning is half the fun😁

24 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

These are the ones that "disappeared" last week from the NCL website, and NCL said they were "sold out," right?

Yes, these are the same cruises.  I am considering taking the Getaway option but I wonder what “comparable itinerary” means.  You have to decide before they say where you are going.  

I am wondering if anyone who has had their cruise on the Viva canceled earlier have any information on Itinerary changes?

9 minutes ago, casofilia said:

What is the real reason?

Cancelling 11/12 months in advance for that reason is totally illogical.   How does NCL know what the "supply chain constraints" will be then?

image.thumb.png.1b4ca7f129ea46fb2e603b42275b6663.png

Because the items they need to install now are what's backordered.   They can't install the items they need in 3 months unless this work is completed first. 

Not to mention suppliers have a decent idea of when they can deliver products. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, casofilia said:

What is the real reason?

Cancelling 11/12 months in advance for that reason is totally illogical.   How does NCL know what the "supply chain constraints" will be then?

image.thumb.png.1b4ca7f129ea46fb2e603b42275b6663.png

The entire schedule for the ship is likely slipping due to supply chain constraints right now, today.   Schedule is slipping, so, they know it will be late.   

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last slip before this thing actually sails with passengers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, PATRLR said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the last slip before this thing actually sails with passengers.

That's what I fear.  After these cancellations, we're on the third cruise -- and the next likely target.  Wondering if we should punt now to the Oct/Nov 2023 cruise of the Viva with a similar itinerary, or go with the Breakaway (with fewer ports we want to see, but it's the same dates).

2 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

That's what I fear.  After these cancellations, we're on the third cruise -- and the next likely target.  Wondering if we should punt now to the Oct/Nov 2023 cruise of the Viva with a similar itinerary, or go with the Breakaway (with fewer ports we want to see, but it's the same dates).

I'm on an October Viva sailing and getting a little nervous. Just paid a refundable deposit on a different cruise line for the same week as a back-up option.

Just got the notice for July 3 cruise. Very disappointed. I don’t know how you make a decision without knowing the dates and itinerary. I was told that the getaway cruises were canceled to change the itinerary. I guess we can take the chance because we can cancel if we don’t like it. Dates are also important to us. 
we do want to book air with points so need to know soon before flights aren’t available 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, checkitallout said:

Just got the notice for July 3 cruise. Very disappointed. I don’t know how you make a decision without knowing the dates and itinerary. I was told that the getaway cruises were canceled to change the itinerary. I guess we can take the chance because we can cancel if we don’t like it. Dates are also important to us. 
we do want to book air with points so need to know soon before flights aren’t available 

After much thought, I think my husband and I are going to roll the dice and go with the Getaway cruise.  We were originally on the Epic which they canceled many months ago.  We booked the Viva because we had a good discount from the canceled Epic cruise.  We don’t know what cabin we will have or where we are going; but we will be in Europe and that’s all that matters to us. We can be flexible with the dates if we need to be.  We are staying in the Haven so I know we will have a fantastic time and a great cabin.  The 20% discount of my original fare is too hard to pass up.  

• Like 1

Well I booked the new inaugural sailing on August 26th. I’m a sucker for a maiden voyage. The price was a little less which was a pleasant surprise. Took the night before hotel package considering how problematic air travel is.

plots of luck to everyone else.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RMS Olympic said:

Well I booked the new inaugural sailing on August 26th. I’m a sucker for a maiden voyage. The price was a little less which was a pleasant surprise. Took the night before hotel package considering how problematic air travel is.

plots of luck to everyone else.

I hope you have a wonderful vacation.  Sound like fun to be on the inaugural cruise.  I hope to try the Viva one day.

Tomberly ........Viva sailing Feb 5, 2024 out of San Juan!

As they would say on Hawaiian 5 O......book it Danno.

Just put a coin jar on the kitchen counter...empty all change into it every time you come back from the store😎

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RMS Olympic said:

Tomberly ........Viva sailing Feb 5, 2024 out of San Juan!

As they would say on Hawaiian 5 O......book it Danno.

Just put a coin jar on the kitchen counter...empty all change into it every time you come back from the store😎

That sounds like so much fun.  I have always wanted to go to San Juan.  Coin jar is the way to go😎

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tomberly said:

After much thought, I think my husband and I are going to roll the dice and go with the Getaway cruise.  We were originally on the Epic which they canceled many months ago.  We booked the Viva because we had a good discount from the canceled Epic cruise.  We don’t know what cabin we will have or where we are going; but we will be in Europe and that’s all that matters to us. We can be flexible with the dates if we need to be.  We are staying in the Haven so I know we will have a fantastic time and a great cabin.  The 20% discount of my original fare is too hard to pass up.  

I was thinking that 20% discount is not really a discount moving from the Viva to the Getaway. The Prima and Viva are different classes of ships than the Getaway.  The price we are paying is about 20% more than a regular cruise....What do you think?😀 I really don't know what to do.  As someone else mentioned, how can we make a decision on the cruise if you don't know the ports.  We just got off the Escape and we were really looking forward to a different style of Norwegian Cruise Line ship. The Getaway looks very similar to the Escape so it doesn't really excite us. 

We were booked on the Prima out of Amsterdam, but that was canceled and now the Viva is canceled....I know its firstworldproblems, but I am really disappointed.  We are looking for another cruise that leaves Amsterdam; maybe we try Celebrity Apex? #cryinginamsterdam

Edited by clgaryguy

On 8/17/2022 at 12:42 PM, clgaryguy said:

We were to be on the Viva on 3rd July 2023...This is the second time we are bumped off....first the Prima and now the Viva. We aren't having any luck getting on this class of ship.

Sounds like an old Albert King blues song--"If It Wasn't for Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck at All".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, clgaryguy said:

I was thinking that 20% discount is not really a discount moving from the Viva to the Getaway. The Prima and Viva are different classes of ships than the Getaway.  The price we are paying is about 20% more than a regular cruise....What do you think?😀 I really don't know what to do.  As someone else mentioned, how can we make a decision on the cruise if you don't know the ports. 

I hear what you are saying. Defiantly a risk and a different class of ship.  For us, we already had a really good discount on the Viva because of our Epic cruise being canceled.  So with another 20% discount we should be getting a really good rate.   You can’t usually combine % off discounts, but in this case if we go with the Getaway we can.  We have been on the Getaway before and we enjoyed the ship.  When it comes to a cruise in Europe, for us the ship is a second thought.  We have a busy port schedule and from our past experience on the NCL Star from Venice we will spend a lot of time off the ship. I do feel really bad about all the people from the Getaway that have been canceled due to the redeployment of the ship to Europe.   Hope everyone finds a new cruise that works for them.  

51 minutes ago, tomberly said:

I hear what you are saying. Defiantly a risk and a different class of ship.  For us, we already had a really good discount on the Viva because of our Epic cruise being canceled.  So with another 20% discount we should be getting a really good rate.   You can’t usually combine % off discounts, but in this case if we go with the Getaway we can.  We have been on the Getaway before and we enjoyed the ship.  When it comes to a cruise in Europe, for us the ship is a second thought.  We have a busy port schedule and from our past experience on the NCL Star from Venice we will spend a lot of time off the ship. I do feel really bad about all the people from the Getaway that have been canceled due to the redeployment of the ship to Europe.   Hope everyone finds a new cruise that works for them.  

That sounds super! We got a discount as well because Prima was canceled. We live in Europe, so for us it’s all about the ship 😀. I guess no matter where we all go, we are all lucky enough to even consider going on a cruise. The escape was nice! Lots of GREAT staff. Curious to see the itinerary now for the Getaway. Happy cruising !!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 2:07 AM, tomberly said:

Hi, I have agreed to switch to the getaway but my price quoted on the app doesn’t show 20% discount. Was your discount applied ok? 

• 3 months later...

Seeing how the Viva ship has been pushed back all the way to the end of August for cruises due to supply chain issues, makes me wonder just how far behind they really are. As someone who works in transportation I know how bad these supply chain issues have been. We are booked on the Feb 18th 2024 sailing of the Viva and seriously been having second thoughts about the cruise and booking something different. 

1 hour ago, mlocastro said:

Seeing how the Viva ship has been pushed back all the way to the end of August for cruises due to supply chain issues, makes me wonder just how far behind they really are. As someone who works in transportation I know how bad these supply chain issues have been. We are booked on the Feb 18th 2024 sailing of the Viva and seriously been having second thoughts about the cruise and booking something different. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Why would you be concerned about a cruise 6 months after the ship's maiden voyage?