Help me choose my cruise

NYMama

Single mom with two boys 9 & 12.  I will be taking them on their first cruise over February break leaving from NYC.  I am currently booked for an 8 day cruise on the Getaway with ports:  Norfolk, Port Canaveral, Great Stirrup Cay, Bermuda.  However, there is also a 10 day cruise on the Gem:  St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Tortola, Grand Turk, Puerto Plata.  I love the itinerary for the Gem.  Is 10 days on a smaller ship like the Gem a bad idea for my boys' first cruise?  I currently have a balcony room on the Getaway and if I switched to the Gem I would get a balcony room as well.

If it was just me I would sail on the Gem for a much better itinerary BUT with two energetic kids that age I would definitely pick the Getaway for all the fun bells and whistles of the ship.

6 minutes ago, NYMama said:

Is 10 days on a smaller ship like the Gem a bad idea for my boys' first cruise? 

YES!  🙂      If they don't care for the ship that will be a looooooooooong and miserable ten days.

• Like 2

Only you know your boys and what they'll like, but I'd pick the Gem. Our 11 dd has been on 13 cruises, some on the biggest ships (Oasis of the Seas), some small (Holland Rotterdam) and some large but no "kid" type amenities (Princess Discovery). There wasn't one that she didn't love. Encourage them to go to the kids' club. Since our dd has been 3, that's been her favorite part of cruising, that and the pools. I think the ports on the Gem would be more interesting to them. In February, Norfolk will be cold, Port Canaveral beaches could be ok, and the water in GSC is chilly. I love the other ports and it will be much warmer, which if you're leaving from NYC, I'm assuming will be welcomed. 🙂 Plus, two extra days on a ship. Sold!

• Like 1

Absolutly take them on the Getaway, they will love all the water slides!!!!! Ropes course also. Getaway a much better ship for kids!!!! I must be a big kid because I am on the Breakway for 9 nights in September. 

• Like 1

Honestly, they are going to love either if it's their first cruise. 8 days is probably less disruptive than 10 days, unless you are homeschooling. 

That aside:

The Gem's itinerary is much, much better. Are your kids be very happy with a nice pool, basketball court and kids club? If so, I'd vote Gem. Until the mega-mega ships, it was considered a large, modern ship not that long ago.

If your kids tend to get bored easily, or have a case of constantly needing new entertainment options, then Getaway.

Edited by weltek
  • Like 2

Another vote for Getaway but I recommend (for a slight increase in price) an aft-facing balcony instead of the standard (tiny) side balcony. If you can get an angled balcony which is the same price as the standard balcony, that would also be better. Check prices on the Large Balcony category (B6) and the even larger balcony/view of the water Club Balcony (M6). They might be worth it. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weltek said:

Honestly, they are going to love either if it's their first cruise. 8 days is probably less disruptive than 10 days, unless you are homeschooling. 

That aside:

The Gem's itinerary is much, much better. Are your kids be very happy with a nice pool, basketball court and kids club? If so, I'd vote Gem. Until the mega-mega ships, it was considered a large, modern ship not that long ago.

If your kids tend to get bored easily, or have a case of constantly needing new entertainment options, then Getaway.

My kids would only miss two days of school with the 10 day itinerary as the majority of the cruise would be during their February break.  I think they would be fine with pools, basketball, ping pong, arcade and kids club if available.  I know they will enjoy the vacation either way.

Just now, Two Wheels Only said:

Another vote for Getaway but I recommend (for a slight increase in price) an aft-facing balcony instead of the standard (tiny) side balcony. If you can get an angled balcony which is the same price as the standard balcony, that would also be better. Check prices on the Large Balcony category (B6) and the even larger balcony/view of the water Club Balcony (M6). They might be worth it. 

I had an aft facing balcony on one of my cruises and was seasick quite a bit unfortunately.  I will look into the larger balcony options.  Thanks.

19 minutes ago, weltek said:

I'm a former K-8 administrator...now that I'm former, I can finally say what I always wanted to tell parents that worried about their kids being out of school. Give the school a note and let the kids enjoy. They'll be schooling/working for the next 50 - 70 years of their life. Let them have this moment. 

And trust me, no one cares how many days of school a 9 and 12 year old miss, unless it's excessive (like weeks and weeks of days missed). 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm a former K-8 administrator...now that I'm former, I can finally say what I always wanted to tell parents that worried about their kids being out of school. Give the school a note and let the kids enjoy. They'll be schooling/working for the next 50 - 70 years of their life. Let them have this moment. 

And trust me, no one cares how many days of school a 9 and 12 year old miss, unless it's excessive (like weeks and weeks of days missed). 

Thank you!  I would definitely hesitate to pull them out for a week or more, but missing two days for an amazing experience is ok in my book.

We are on the Getaway February break week. There isn’t time for the 10 days. We don’t take our kids out of school , just our rule.  I have been on both ships. They will be bored on the gem( a much older crowd. Our grandchildren are nine and six. We are going to Williamsburg in Norfolk and Disney in Orlando but the space center is great if they haven’t been for a shorter day. There is much more on the Getaway. You will have more warm days on the Gem but the ship is really older. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We are on the Getaway February break week. There isn’t time for the 10 days. We don’t take our kids out of school , just our rule.  I have been on both ships. They will be bored on the gem( a much older crowd. Our grandchildren are nine and six. We are going to Williamsburg in Norfolk and Disney in Orlando but the space center is great if they haven’t been for a shorter day. There is much more on the Getaway. You will have more warm days on the Gem but the ship is really older. 

The boys decided they would rather do the shorter cruise on the Getaway so we will see you there!  We are going to do the zoo in Virginia.  They have been to Kennedy Space Center, so we will probably just take the shuttle to Cocoa Beach just to see it (I know it will probably be too cold for swimming).  We did transport to Orlando from Port Canaveral on a prior cruise.  My son was only two so it was challenging.  But with older kids I am sure it will be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYMama said:

Thank you!  I would definitely hesitate to pull them out for a week or more, but missing two days for an amazing experience is ok in my book.

As it should be! Let me add my thoughts to the Getaway. I sailed in April over Easter break (holy crowded)!!! 

Anyway, I would highly recommend the Getaway. We sailed past the Gem and it looks like such a sad, pathetic looking boat. It's probably fine for a booze cruise, but a serious vacation where fun is the idea? No thanks. The Getaway has a lot more food options as well. 

Y'all are NY'ers like me. If it's 60 outside you'll be in the water and on the water slides. The Getaway has so much more for kids, and for you. 

Let us know what you pick, and have a most wonderful time at sea! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

As it should be! Let me add my thoughts to the Getaway. I sailed in April over Easter break (holy crowded)!!! 

Anyway, I would highly recommend the Getaway. We sailed past the Gem and it looks like such a sad, pathetic looking boat. It's probably fine for a booze cruise, but a serious vacation where fun is the idea? No thanks. The Getaway has a lot more food options as well. 

Y'all are NY'ers like me. If it's 60 outside you'll be in the water and on the water slides. The Getaway has so much more for kids, and for you. 

Let us know what you pick, and have a most wonderful time at sea! 

The boys decided on The Getaway.  My oldest reminded me he actually has been in a cruise before (he was 2 when we cruised).  If they enjoy cruising then I can spend a bit more for a better itinerary on our next cruise.

• Like 2

I switched a cruise from an away ship to the gem due to itinerary, it worked out because they were 13+ and in the teen club. All of my kids disliked the clubs as tweens, a 10 day winter cruise with a lot fewer kids on a ship without bells and whistles wouldn’t be their cup of tea (favorite part of cruising for them was meeting others).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

We sailed past the Gem and it looks like such a sad, pathetic looking boat. It's probably fine for a booze cruise, but a serious vacation where fun is the idea? No thanks.

Sorry, but imho you’re totally wrong about the Gem. She’s a wonderful, comfortably-sized ship, with terrific public spaces like the Great Outdoors and a traditional promenade deck, with connections to the water that the newer, larger builds just do not have. Is she an amusement park at sea? No, and that’s one of the reasons my wife and I love her (and her Jewel-class sisters) so much. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Sorry, but imho you’re totally wrong about the Gem. She’s a wonderful, comfortably-sized ship, with terrific public spaces like the Great Outdoors and a traditional promenade deck, with connections to the water that the newer, larger builds just do not have. Is she an amusement park at sea? No, and that’s one of the reasons my wife and I love her (and her Jewel-class sisters) so much. 

Agree.  Love the Gem and all the Jewel class ships.  The Great Outdoors is the ultimate breakfast spot for me.

• Like 2