Ravenna to Venice airport transfer

Treasure Hunter

We are traveling on "Connie" next June and treating our son's family. They plan to spend two days in Venice at the end of the cruise but we have been a few times and knowing us, will just want to go home. The direct flight that we are looking at leaves at 1:15 the day the ship comes into Ravenna. The ship comes into port at 6:00 Am. I have heard that ( even if Celebrity has bus transfers, they take up to two and a half hours on the road to the Venice airport and we all know that the buses take forever to load) we would be better off with a private transfer. Since we will not be spending on hotels in Venice , and picking up the meals for our kids we don't care about cost, just reliability. Does anyone have a recommendation for a car service that will pick us up at the port and hopefully get us to Venice by 10:00? Does anyone have experience with this port situation? We could go on a later flight but would have to change planes in Paris or Amsterdam and at our age that is something to avoid.

7 hours ago, sapphireblue said:

We just returned from Venice and used a private transfer service from Ravenna to Venice. We were picked up by Daytrip at 8am and in Venice by 10am. Their vans hold up to 7 people. Great service. 

We're going to use them in October from Padua to Ravenna, based on my TA's recommendation.  We booked a long time ago at a really good price, and I was amazed at how much their prices have gone up since [due to inflation and especially the cost of fuel].  But there is no decent train alternative, so it is was it is...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

There is also a bus, for as low as 10 euro.  The bus travels direct (no changes) from Ravenna to Venice Mestre train station and then on to Venice Tronchetto.

https://www.flixbus.it/

I’m haven’t read about anyone using them, and I’ve been looking. It looks like the best option, either direction 

Their reviews are not good

As to the reviews, it's a discount bus line so your expectations should not be high to begin with.  Cruise passengers in general tend not to be bus users, unless it's part of an organized tour, so I'm not surprised you don't hear much about it in places like this.

It's kind of like Bolt bus or Megabus, if you're familiar with them.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spaghetti said:

Does anyone happen to have information about transportation other than train, Flixbus, or Daytrips? 

I think the main options have been spelled out above: cruise line transfer, bus, train or expensive private transfer.  

With what you'd like to do (e.g., tour Ravenna, then transfer to Venice) it is going to be very pricey for two people. Ravenna being a relatively new port for embarkation/disembarkation, there are not a lot of agencies offering transfers yet. And, I've noticed when looking at Civi transfers that some companies that formerly offered a shared shuttle option are no longer doing so, presumably do to continuing concerns about COVID. (Remember, Italy was hit hard.)

You can Google and find some other transfer alternatives but most start around 500 euro for the basic transfer alone. If you want to add on time in Ravenna (not the best use of the car as central Ravenna is very small and walkable), you're probably looking at a minimum of another 60-75 euro per additional hour.

You may have to reconsider your plans.... 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think the main options have been spelled out above: cruise line transfer, bus, train or expensive private transfer.  

With what you'd like to do (e.g., tour Ravenna, then transfer to Venice) it is going to be very pricey for two people. Ravenna being a relatively new port for embarkation/disembarkation, there are not a lot of agencies offering transfers yet. And, I've noticed when looking at Civi transfers that some companies that formerly offered a shared shuttle option are no longer doing so, presumably do to continuing concerns about COVID. (Remember, Italy was hit hard.)

You can Google and find some other transfer alternatives but most start around 500 euro for the basic transfer alone. If you want to add on time in Ravenna (not the best use of the car as central Ravenna is very small and walkable), you're probably looking at a minimum of another 60-75 euro per additional hour.

You may have to reconsider your plans.... 

Cruisemom42, thanks for your comments.  I didn't realize that Ravenna is a new port for disembarkation.  It also makes sense that some things may still be limited due to changes that came about regarding Covid.  It is helpful to know that Ravenna is so small and very walkable too!

1 hour ago, euro cruiser said:

There is a left luggage office near the Ravenna station, so you could check your bags while you visit town, then either take the train or meet your driver for the transfer to Venice.

Luggage storage - Ravenna Turismo

Hi there euro cruiser, the information you shared about the luggage storage is greatly appreciated and may be key in working out the logistics of what we'd like to do at a more reasonable cost.  Is luggage safe from theft at the luggage storage there?  We haven't been to Europe, don't know anything about the Ravenna area, and have not used a luggage storage before.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, spaghetti said:

Hi there euro cruiser, the information you shared about the luggage storage is greatly appreciated and may be key in working out the logistics of what we'd like to do at a more reasonable cost.  Is luggage safe from theft at the luggage storage there?  We haven't been to Europe, don't know anything about the Ravenna area, and have not used a luggage storage before.  Thanks!

No one can guarantee safety but it is very common to use these luggage storage facilities throughout Europe. I've used them in Rome, Venice, and Madrid and had no problems. I would not plan on leaving my passport, nor any cash or credit cards or valuable jewelry there, however. (I don't tend to travel with any valuable jewelry...makes things easier.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, maryisme said:

Just coming back to say that after looking at transportation alternatives, I am leaning toward using Daytrip. Bus and/or train seem like a major hassle. Will just have to build it into our budget.

Thanks everyone.

The price you mentioned earlier (900 euros) seems a pretty steep item to add to the budget. Is there any help or encouragement we can provide about using a cheaper alternative?  Are you trying to get from the ship at Ravenna to Venice itself or to Venice airport?  Any time restrictions (e.g., flights, etc.)?

• Like 1

Just wanted to point out that, if your actual disembarkation port is Ravenna, that Venice isn't your only airport option. Bologna would be closest, and even Florence and Milan could be included in the mix. Of course, you need to consider your flight options from each to see what combination is the most convenient.

We're flying to Venice next September from the UK and then need to get to Ravenna. RCI do transfers from Venice Airport to to the ship, we've just added them to our booking. £144 round trip for the 2 of us. We've been to many places in Italy quite a few times so just wanted a straightforward transfer from airport to ship and back again at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mim Lloyd said:

We're flying to Venice next September from the UK and then need to get to Ravenna. RCI do transfers from Venice Airport to to the ship, we've just added them to our booking. £144 round trip for the 2 of us. We've been to many places in Italy quite a few times so just wanted a straightforward transfer from airport to ship and back again at the end of the cruise. 

Hi, did you book your flights through RC too?

We're cruising from Ravenna in August

• 4 weeks later...

Recommended by friends- Venice Quality Transfers (VQT). They are excellent and extremely helpful.  Run by Trisha (from Cornwall) and her friend Julie.  Trisha’s husband has a Venice water taxi.

They sub-contract the work in Bologna – Ravenna; and check out very carefully who they sub-contract to. 

If you’re not in Venice, VQT might simply refer you to their contacts in Ravenna or wherever.  Best ask Trisha.  A nice thing about having VQT in the loop is that, in case of any complications, Trisha is always at the end of the phone to speak to you in English and chase up anyone who needs chasing up in Italian!

https://www.vqtravels.com/who-we-are/

Trisha Perolari contact@vqtravels.com

• Like 1

We used Rhaama Service https://www.rhaamaservice.it/en/  to drive us from Ravenna to Venice after our cruise.  I researched and contacted many companies.  Rhaama had been recommended in comments on this board and on TripAdvisor.  They are local to Ravenna, which may be one reason their pricing was much, much better than some other car services.  We arranged for a driver to pick us up at the port so we could see the local area before heading to Venice for the rest of our vacation.  Our driver picked us up in a very nice, clean, Mercedes van.  He lives in Ravenna and knew the area well, spoke excellent english, and was friendly and easy to talk to.  He parked right outside while we went into the mausoleum and the cathedral to see the amazing mosaics in Ravenna.  As we continued toward Venice, the driver suggested stopping in Comacchio to walk around the area known as "Small Venice".  We very much enjoyed this ride, the sights along the way, and chatting with the driver.  It was the perfect relaxed transportation solution for us, highly recommend it!

20 hours ago, spaghetti said:

We used Rhaama Service https://www.rhaamaservice.it/en/  to drive us from Ravenna to Venice after our cruise.  I researched and contacted many companies.  Rhaama had been recommended in comments on this board and on TripAdvisor.  They are local to Ravenna, which may be one reason their pricing was much, much better than some other car services.  We arranged for a driver to pick us up at the port so we could see the local area before heading to Venice for the rest of our vacation.  Our driver picked us up in a very nice, clean, Mercedes van.  He lives in Ravenna and knew the area well, spoke excellent english, and was friendly and easy to talk to.  He parked right outside while we went into the mausoleum and the cathedral to see the amazing mosaics in Ravenna.  As we continued toward Venice, the driver suggested stopping in Comacchio to walk around the area known as "Small Venice".  We very much enjoyed this ride, the sights along the way, and chatting with the driver.  It was the perfect relaxed transportation solution for us, highly recommend it!

And the price? 

On 9/16/2022 at 8:03 AM, Mim Lloyd said:

Yes we have. We don't know what they are yet but RCI fit the transfers to the flights.

We have just returned from B2B cruises from Ravenna on RCI. There were plenty of shuttle buses to Ravenna from Venice airport departing at approx 45 minute intervals. Just look for the RCI ground staff at arrivals.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NeilonBoard said:

We have just returned from B2B cruises from Ravenna on RCI. There were plenty of shuttle buses to Ravenna from Venice airport departing at approx 45 minute intervals. Just look for the RCI ground staff at arrivals.

Good to know, thank you! What about when leaving the ship to return to Venice Airport? Are you given details on what time to depart the ship and where to meet your shuttle?