Labor Day Sale

Jancruz

8 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

Looked at the Insignia cruise June 2 - June 20 (Hong Kong - Tokyo) which is listed in the 60 cruises Oceania has listed as part of the promotion. I asked about booking B1 and using the 4 cabin upgrade to get into a PH3.  The travel agent told me this promotion does not allow you to get into a PH suite, even if booking a A2 cabin.

If I book a C1 cabin, does this get me into a A3 cabin?

up to 4 categories, the "up to" is doing the heavy lifting. The majority of upgrades are two categories.  I'm sure if you searched all the offers you might find one four category upgrade at this point, maybe.  My super secret TA sent me the spread sheet, for your cruise the upgrades are inside to oceanview, oceanview to veranda and veranda to concierge.   No upgrades to penthouse, your TA was correct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  I think Oceania with all its marketing should perhaps be a little bit more forthcoming in what is hidden behind the curtain.  Oh well, I guess you have swallowed the Oceania hook, you are captured no matter what they decide to be honest about or for the old guy like me without the time to read the finer fine print, you just swallow more and push forward. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

Thanks for the replies.  I think Oceania with all its marketing should perhaps be a little bit more forthcoming in what is hidden behind the curtain.  Oh well, I guess you have swallowed the Oceania hook, you are captured no matter what they decide to be honest about or for the old guy like me without the time to read the finer fine print, you just swallow more and push forward. 

I don’t know. “Up to 4 categories “ seems clear enough. I do feel the disappointment though. No denying that!

11 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

Looked at the Insignia cruise June 2 - June 20 (Hong Kong - Tokyo) which is listed in the 60 cruises Oceania has listed as part of the promotion. I asked about booking B1 and using the 4 cabin upgrade to get into a PH3.  The travel agent told me this promotion does not allow you to get into a PH suite, even if booking a A2 cabin. If I book a C1 cabin, does this get me into a A3 cabin?

READ the fine print: "Category Upgrade is based on availability and is capacity controlled. Number of categories upgraded varies based on cruise and category booked."

You find the cruise you want on the sale and select the cabin level that meets your needs and budget. The prices are shown.

Oceania Cruises 18-days from Hong Kong, China to Tokyo, Japan

14 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

READ the fine print: "Category Upgrade is based on availability and is capacity controlled. Number of categories upgraded varies based on cruise and category booked."

You find the cruise you want on the sale and select the cabin level that meets your needs and budget. The prices are shown.

Oceania Cruises 18-days from Hong Kong, China to Tokyo, Japan

But it doesn't tell you how many categories you will be upgraded from each category offered and the lack of that information is the problem.  The lack of transparency is a feature, not a bug.  

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

But it doesn't tell you how many categories you will be upgraded from each category offered and the lack of that information is the problem.  The lack of transparency is a feature, not a bug.  

IT shows you the ACTUAL PRICE to be paid for each cabin type. That is all that really counts. 

For that specific cruise at the "Cruise Only" Fare, you see C2, D, F, and G each at $6,199. So, you can go from a G to a C2 at NO increase in cost. That is 3 categories up.

You would then have to compare the previously published prices for the A1-A3, B1-B2 and C1 to see what discount, if any, is being given for those cabins.

There was a time when O had the old and discounted prices up on the page during the sale. Thinking that was the case with the Presidents' Day sale of 2021 for example, for which I did an upgrade. Then you could see the actual price discount for each cabin level discounted. 

44 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

IT shows you the ACTUAL PRICE to be paid for each cabin type. That is all that really counts.

I have to disagree with you. It may be what really counts for you.  Others, like myself, want to know upfront if I purchase a certain category, what are my "Real" upgrade possibilities.  I do not see written anywhere that suites are not available for the promotion.  My thinking is this promotion covers categories G-A2, so if I book an A2 cabin, should I not move into at least a PH3?

These Oceania smoke and mirror promotions is usually why I just outright purchase the cabin I want and allow the company to keep whatever gimmick they are working.  What cabins I purchase?  Next week in Vista Suite on Marina Oslo - Amsterdam and in April it was Riviera Oceania Suite Rome - Barcelona.  So, it is not like I am attempting to go from an inside cabin to an Owner's Suite using the Oceania promotion.  I just think everything should be out in the open.  Not for a travel agent, but for me a consumer.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

... Others, like myself, want to know upfront if I purchase a certain category, what are my "Real" upgrade possibilities.  I do not see written anywhere that suites are not available for the promotion.  My thinking is this promotion covers categories G-A2, so if I book an A2 cabin, should I not move into at least a PH3?

The published pricing, the prices as shown, for this specific cruise is clear: "For that specific cruise at the "Cruise Only" Fare, you see C2, D, F, and G each at $6,199. So, you can go from a G to a C2 at NO increase in cost. That is 3 categories up."

If you've purchased already, then you know the price you paid for the cabin you paid for. Then you can compare the sale prices to what you've paid. Just as I've done twice when I've upgraded during an O sale (President 2021 and Memorial Day 2022).

What "smoke and mirrors"? You're trying to read into the sale what you want to get out of it, not what the details of the sale actually are. O has its prices up. Before, during and after the sale. So, you can know and track, as I do, what the sale entails. BUT if all you want to do is look during the sale, then what matters besides the prices you're actually seeing then? If you don't want to study the pricing of an O cruise prior to that?

And one always knows to read the fine print, which is why the fine print is there. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

I have to disagree with you. It may be what really counts for you.  Others, like myself, want to know upfront if I purchase a certain category, what are my "Real" upgrade possibilities.  I do not see written anywhere that suites are not available for the promotion.  My thinking is this promotion covers categories G-A2, so if I book an A2 cabin, should I not move into at least a PH3?

I think  that only those  cabin cat listed qualify

I believe  the prices are already taken into account  but it has been  awhile since I booked during one of these sales

1 hour ago, MEFIowa said:

For that specific cruise at the "Cruise Only" Fare, you see C2, D, F, and G each at $6,199. So, you can go from a G to a C2 at NO increase in cost. That is 3 categories up.

It really shouldn't take the Rossetta Stone to figure it out.  It doesn't tell you clearly, so excuse me if I disagree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

It really shouldn't take the Rossetta Stone to figure it out.  It doesn't tell you clearly, so excuse me if I disagree.

Right you are.  The length of this discussion tells me Oceania's pricing confuses/confounds/annoys lots of people. It should be easier to book a cruise and understand the pricing. 

• Like 7

There are cruise fares on the Oceania website for the June 2, 2023 Hong Kong to Tokyo cruise.  What would you expect to pay for a B2 cabin based upon this posting on the website:

A1 - Concierge Level Veranda  $27,098     $11,549      $9,949 

A2 - Concierge Level Veranda  $26,598     $11,249      $9,649

A3 - Concierge Level Veranda  $26,098     $11,099      $9,499

B1 - Veranda Stateroom            $25,498     $9,099        $7,499 

B2 - Veranda Stateroom            $25,19       $8,949        $7,349

Middle column is Olife Fare with Airfare

Third column is cruise only fare

My assumption was that if I wanted the OLife fare without airfare a B2 stateroom would cost me $7,749 per person.  I am getting cruise fares from agents at $9,499 because I want to take advantage of the Oceania promotion of a 1-4 cabin upgrade from B2 to A3.  By paying $9,499 am I not just paying the straightforward fare for A3 cabin and not receiving any Oceania promotional benefit?

I am just really confused and frustrated by these fares.

12 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

My assumption was that if I wanted the OLife fare without airfare a B2 stateroom would cost me $7,749 per person.  I am getting cruise fares from agents at $9,499 because I want to take advantage of the Oceania promotion of a 1-4 cabin upgrade from B2 to A3.  By paying $9,499 am I not just paying the straightforward fare for A3 cabin and not receiving any Oceania promotional benefit?

IF you call O direct and speak with an O rep you can find out the price of a B2 or A3 or whatever you want with OLife without airfare.

You're essentially wanting another column of data. The funny thing about the OLife is you're just essentially pre-paying for whatever you select. So the OLife without airfare "price" will be below that with airfare and above "Cruise Only".

First time I called O for an actual quote (1/30/21) I asked for all the numbers to see exactly what the prices were for the various configurations. I still chuckle at all the pre-paying for OLife. As the O rep on board Riviera told me in 12/21, essentially some people like to pay in advance and not worry about it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lane412000 said:

There are cruise fares on the Oceania website for the June 2, 2023 Hong Kong to Tokyo cruise.  What would you expect to pay for a B2 cabin based upon this posting on the website:

You are assuming cruise ships will be going to Japan in 2023. As of now, almost all of the lines cancelled their 1st half 2023 Japan sailings. It is possible Japan won't allow cruise ships at all in 2023. I have many friends who live there and they are very happy that there are no foreign tourists coming in bringing covid and monkeypox. 

14 hours ago, Lane412000 said:

A1 - Concierge Level Veranda  $27,098     $11,549      $9,949 

A2 - Concierge Level Veranda  $26,598     $11,249      $9,649

A3 - Concierge Level Veranda  $26,098     $11,099      $9,499

B1 - Veranda Stateroom            $25,498     $9,099        $7,499 

B2 - Veranda Stateroom            $25,19       $8,949        $7,349

I am just really confused and frustrated by these fares.

The prices shown online during the sale ARE the sale prices (i.e., after the "upgrade"); they will go up after the sale (usually) back to what they were before the sale (or possibly more). To figure out the price of the cruise WITH O-Life but NO airfare, take the cruise-only price (A3 is $9499) and add half of the O-Life credit amount per cabin (this cruise is $800, so add $400). The price per person during the sale is $9499+$400=$9899 for the cruise with O-Life.  My TA says that you book your cruise and add/delete O-Life or airfare up to a certain point (maybe final payment? I book cruise-only so I don't know). I hope this makes it clearer.